*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

On 3/23/2023 at 11:43 AM, GSG said:

I mean, I don't know what their factors are, but I imagine since he hired some guys with long coaching history that that would give them a good bump over their previous staff at sCUm. 

But this thread is about Matt Rhule.... 

Word is that being a cowboy was a secret aspiration for both Sanders and Rhule. :D

I have been generally pleased with Rhule thus far in his words and actions.  Seems to be saying and doing all the right stuff to get the program reorganized and moving forward positively.   

I am withholding judgment on his offense and defense until I see it.  However, recent player remarks in pressers have been less encouraging - the first ‘alarm bells’ I’ve noticed.  I’m getting a sense that the changes to the offense may be only superficial, somewhat Frost 3.0 perhaps.  

This is scary to me.  I suppose Rhule might be thinking that major scheme overhauls could be too drastic for the shaky O line and the QB room coupled with the minimal experience in WRs, in year one with limited practices and conference opener on the road.  Coach Satt utilized much of the same or similar stuff as Frost at SoCar. But indications of fullbacks, being physically tough and running the ball more devotedly sounded so positive before. Now I am getting uneasy again.  2023 needs to be a rebuild and reconfiguration not just a reboot with more of the same which seems to be the idea coming from the players. 

I know Rhule has year one as a new beginning with less demanding expectations from many fans but I think ‘more of the same’ won’t cut it.  The fans can accept some struggles early on with a new system and new players. But I’m not sure I can be too accommodating IF we see more of the same. 

• Fire 1

I think there's some reasons for pause. There are depth and experience issues for sure. Coach Rhule has to work with what he's got and then bring the offense around to what he's wanting more and more. It's not just about continuously getting better but bringing out the best in each player whatever "that" is for making their contributions. I think they're doing a good with addressing that. 

The defense should be pretty solid and only improve as the season progresses. It'll probably carry the team for the most part. Look for the offense to be more aggressive with improved cohesion running effectively and hopefully being able to capitalize with the TE's. I'm sure it'll improve as the season goes on too as other contributors gain more experience. I think that 5-6 wins is a realistic expectation. A bit more enjoyable than what we've come accustomed to.

We should have a good deal of more experienced speed on offense heading into 2024. The receiving core looks promising. We've really needed to do better having experienced depth. They're doing a number of things to address that so as many contributors are available to get on the field in all areas adding some versatility. Then minimize errors, have a good kicking game and a productive special teams. Keep building adding pieces. Get to the bowl game.

The O-line remains a question mark. It'd be helpful to add some depth there if possible. Will be interesting how the QB situation plays out. It seems that they are aiming for an active, imposing offense. How well we can stretch the field to complement play along the line of scrimmage remains to be seen how it might materialize. That's where some limitation for the moment might be an issue due to inexperience.  

It could be a little rough this year with some limitations though there should be cause for for encouragement with some real momentum heading into next season the potential there to be very good and, a lot more fun. I don't think that the cohesiveness has been there and the staff is putting effort into having a shared vision for the team. A great many things have been improved which will translate into winning. Accountability, togetherness, being disciplined. Those sorts of things. 

I’m more concerned about the defense early on than than the offense.  But both may not be nearly ready to run what Rhule & Co really want in the future.  For those of us who are hoping for something new and different than we’ve seen the past 7 years, on both sides of the ball, we may not see that for awhile. 

Wholesale systemic changes won’t be easy when the entire program is new.  I expect the defense to be faster but inconsistent.  A hit & miss performance which may take time to develop.   As the season goes along, errors should be reduced.  By year 2, improved execution should come.  Similar issues can be expected on offense but if the offense is quite similar to recent teams, we may not see many basic mistakes but will likely struggle to score much more.   I hope I’m wrong and we truly implement a new, different offense.  But I’m not betting on it. We have to have a serious run game.  Perhaps it will be there but I will have to see it this fall. 

I think better special teams and more turnovers produced by a more aggressive, gambling type defense can help. But if we can’t win the line of scrimmage it may not lead to more wins beyond 6-6.  Talent and speed can get us that far.  

• Fire 1
39 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’m more concerned about the defense early on than than the offense.  But both may not be nearly ready to run what Rhule & Co really want in the future.  For those of us who are hoping for something new and different than we’ve seen the past 7 years, on both sides of the ball, we may not see that for awhile. 

Wholesale systemic changes won’t be easy when the entire program is new.  I expect the defense to be faster but inconsistent.  A hit & miss performance which may take time to develop.   As the season goes along, errors should be reduced.  By year 2, improved execution should come.  Similar issues can be expected on offense but if the offense is quite similar to recent teams, we may not see many basic mistakes but will likely struggle to score much more.   I hope I’m wrong and we truly implement a new, different offense.  But I’m not betting on it. We have to have a serious run game.  Perhaps it will be there but I will have to see it this fall. 

I think better special teams and more turnovers produced by a more aggressive, gambling type defense can help. But if we can’t win the line of scrimmage it may not lead to more wins beyond 6-6.  Talent and speed can get us that far.  

Interesting...You envision the defense more than the offense being a concern early on. We definitely have to win the line of scrimmage. We're in agreement, it will take some time for development. Consistency should improve as the season goes along. Hopefully we'll be able to sustain drives to take pressure off the defense. We have to have a the run game there. As you say, we'll have to have it. It remains to be seen. Dang, I sure hope there's improvement to the offensive line performances. 

Apparently Rhule is actually practicing full contact football some anyway.  But there are some very limited restrictions on how much hitting (blocking and tackling which IS football essentially).   With new schemes, techniques, strategy, etc., it will almost inevitably mean more missed assignments, penalties and so forth.  It only stands to reason.  As the season progresses, that should get better.  But the margin for error with teams of similar talent is small.  That suggests a continuation - for a while at least - of close games and struggles to find wins vs losses.  

The spring ‘game’ typically doesn’t reveal much but it will be closely watched.  We need to see some new things imo if the 2023 season will be reason for hope versus mostly more of the same.  It’s hard to show much without showing too much to our opponents. However, Rhule can give hints which can be indicative of change without necessarily giving away the entire plan.   It also can suggest the potential for the present roster’s ability to adapt and change schematically.  

• Mavric unpinned this topic