*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

20 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I was really hoping for Bob Devaney.

Come on Nebraska.  With all of that Big 10 money open up the coffers and figure out how to resurrect the dead!

Pretty sure there's a BioEngineering program in a campus basement somewhere that's working on this right now. 

2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

PC is still at 1:30 CT...  husker radio commentary at 12:30 CT

12:30pm CT - Commentary from Huskers Radio Network team & Media 1:30pm CT - Press Conference Post Press Conference - Analysis & Interviews with HRN team

Well it is not playing yet.

Now finally they are on line

On 11/23/2022 at 10:40 PM, Mavric said:

Just piecing together a ton of stuff, this seems to me to be the scenario that fits the best:

Rhule was the #1 choice at least a couple of weeks ago.  He was even here at least once, probably twice.  The reports of the BoR meeting was not an official meeting but Trev letting them know that he thought he found his guy and running the terms by therm.  Trev was trying to get a deal done, but Carolina threw a fit.  My guess is it was in the $6-7M range and they wanted it to be basically the whole $10M or they weren’t going to let it fly.

Trev didn’t feel he should go any higher so that’s when the reports came out that he turned us down.  And that story morphed into the low-ball offer reports and not wanting to pay assistants.  And Trev started to move on to his next choices.  And that led to Trev’s comments about being good stewards of the resources he had.

But then a couple of the big-money boosters stepped in and said if that’s really who Trev wanted, we needed to pay what it took to get him here.  So they ponied up some extra cash - or pledged to contribute to something else - and that got us back in the picture.

The $9.2-ish million was enough to make Carolina happy and now we’re set for an announcement Saturday or Sunday with a press conference Sunday or Monday.

And once we had Rhule on the hook the other guys we had lined up as next choices - Liepold, DeBoer, etc. - signed the extensions that they had been offered when their schools found out they were looking around.

So far we have confirmation that Rhule was indeed here a couple of weeks ago and that the deal was "dead" at one point before coming back to life.  

Also, there were several snide tweets from media members after the Wisconsin BoR meeting was announced over the weekend to the effect of "I wonder if people are going to believe this actually happened", indicating they're pretty sure there was some sort of BoR meeting here even though everyone tried to deny it.

That's a lot of lucky guesses if these guys don't have some pretty good inside info.

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So far we have confirmation that Rhule was indeed here a couple of weeks ago and that the deal was "dead" at one point before coming back to life.  

Also, there were several snide tweets from media members after the Wisconsin BoR meeting was announced over the weekend to the effect of "I wonder if people are going to believe this actually happened", indicating they're pretty sure there was some sort of BoR meeting here even though everyone tried to deny it.

That's a lot of lucky guesses if these guys don't have some pretty good inside info.

“Lucky guesses” is a cordial way of putting it. On occasion we’ve been known to MSU (Make “stuff” up). 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Now that is a backloaded contract.  Carolina looks like it is paying Rhule a decent chunk of cash the next couple years.

God forbid we want to can him in a 4 years there will be a hefty buyout.

I also want to see what his buyout on Rhule's end by year if he decides to leave.

rhule-contract-png.270245

Interesting progression.  

It sounded like Carolina was throwing a fit that we weren't paying enough, so we had to up it.  And that's probably what happened.  But I was thinking it would be more in the $8-9M each year.  

If we were only going to pay him in the $5M range each year while Carolina was still picking up the rest of the tab, I could see why they balked.  Of course, they should balk at anything less than what they are on the hook for, that's just good business.

Can't wait until 2027 when we have a $10M coach....

• Mavric unpinned this topic