*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I respectfully disagree with your analysis. Wisconsin is not in a much better place than us. We were leading the entire game until we collapsed the last minute. We have better players and quarterback and I can say that our chances of succeeding next season are almost the same. To say that Fickell has the easier task is unfounded. Also, do we know if Fickell was even interviewed by Trev. I am not saying Rhule is not a good hire but if he was chosen over Fickell and we end up bowless again next season while Wisconsin wins the west, wouldn’t you want to know why Rhule was chosen over Fickell? Again, I am really hoping that Rhule is successful because I am tired of the coaching carousel. However, when I learned that Fickell was hired by Wisconsin, I wondered why not us? Was it by choice or was he never considered? It would be nice if they listed who was considered.

Fair enough. I just think Wiscy has a foundation in place that we do not. I think this program is at a complete rebuild mode and Wiscy isn’t far removed from double digit wins. Their rb was beat up with a shoulder injury which makes a ton on difference. Like I said, I was a Fickell guy too, but I will wait to see year 2-3 before I decide, but I get your point. Good post!!

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As mentioned earlier, Alberts used Matrix Analytical to assist in the search.  Some examples Alberts listed are:

• What's their record against a team with lesser talent?

• What’s their record in one-score games?

• What do nine-win teams in the Big Ten do relative to number of run plays?

• How many times do they run the ball prior to having an explosive run?

-have they ever won the Hy-Vee Heroes trophy?

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I respectfully disagree with your analysis. Wisconsin is not in a much better place than us. We were leading the entire game until we collapsed the last minute. We have better players and quarterback and I can say that our chances of succeeding next season are almost the same. To say that Fickell has the easier task is unfounded. Also, do we know if Fickell was even interviewed by Trev. I am not saying Rhule is not a good hire but if he was chosen over Fickell and we end up bowless again next season while Wisconsin wins the west, wouldn’t you want to know why Rhule was chosen over Fickell? Again, I am really hoping that Rhule is successful because I am tired of the coaching carousel. However, when I learned that Fickell was hired by Wisconsin, I wondered why not us? Was it by choice or was he never considered? It would be nice if they listed who was considered.

Trev slipped up and said he interviewed (talked to! talked to!) 13 coaches.  I'd love to hear the reasoning if Fickell wasn't one of them.  Maybe he lazily shrugged and thought, "he'll never leave Ohio".

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Trev slipped up and said he interviewed (talked to! talked to!) 13 coaches.  I'd love to hear the reasoning if Fickell wasn't one of them.  Maybe he lazily shrugged and thought, "he'll never leave Ohio".

Honestly, when I had Fickell as my number one choice, many on this board pointed out that Fickell will never leave the state of Ohio. I commented that money talks and if he was made a good offer, he would consider it given that the Huskers and the Big Ten are better than cincy and their conference but I was again reminded that he would not leave. Imagine my surprise when I read that Wisconsin got him. To be honest, these searches need to be more transparent. Fans deserve to know who was considered. I am not saying we should have a voice in the selection but at least we need to know who was considered. After all, the only positive streak still alive is the sellout streak. Frost managed to accumulate every negative streak and ruin any positive record over the last five years. If fans are responsible for the only streak that is mentioned in college football. Aren’t we owed a list of who was considered? If Matt Rhule was our number one choice and we got him, that is great. But if he was not, and Trev had to settle for his number whatever choice, that can tell us a lot about our brand. And yes, I still believe Huskers have a brand and hopefully Rhule will be the one who will bring that back. One thing is for sure, I can’t wait for the Wisconsin game next season!

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I’m just guessing but I don’t think “talked to” equates to interviewed or seriously considered. As an example, I think he “talked to” Urban Meyer but never really considered offering him. I imagine most that he talked to was just to get their insight. I have to believe that Fickell was seriously considered. I also think Rhule was actually his top target.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Honestly, when I had Fickell as my number one choice, many on this board pointed out that Fickell will never leave the state of Ohio. I commented that money talks and if he was made a good offer, he would consider it given that the Huskers and the Big Ten are better than cincy and their conference but I was again reminded that he would not leave. Imagine my surprise when I read that Wisconsin got him. To be honest, these searches need to be more transparent. Fans deserve to know who was considered. I am not saying we should have a voice in the selection but at least we need to know who was considered. After all, the only positive streak still alive is the sellout streak. Frost managed to accumulate every negative streak and ruin any positive record over the last five years. If fans are responsible for the only streak that is mentioned in college football. Aren’t we owed a list of who was considered? If Matt Rhule was our number one choice and we got him, that is great. But if he was not, and Trev had to settle for his number whatever choice, that can tell us a lot about our brand. And yes, I still believe Huskers have a brand and hopefully Rhule will be the one who will bring that back. One thing is for sure, I can’t wait for the Wisconsin game next season!

This search was conducted as it should be. All the coaches and others consulted remaining private. It's in our interest now and again any time in the future. Your reputation proceeds you. Trev has demonstrated that we operate professionally where discretion is assured. Your privacy is respected. We're good to do business with. Trustworthy. The advantages far outweigh anything that would be an advantage. 

BTW Fickell was my second choice. I struggled back and forth between the two which I preferred. I think we got the best attainable coach. Wisconsin game will definitely be one to look forward to for sure! 

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Deserve to know who was interviewed?? Surely you jest? If you interview for a job and demand to know who was interviewed before you. You would be laughed out of the building. You and fans deserve nothing. There are still privacy laws not to mention NU's integrity.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 6
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

As mentioned earlier, Alberts used Matrix Analytical to assist in the search.  Some examples Alberts listed are:

• What's their record against a team with lesser talent?

• What’s their record in one-score games?

• What do nine-win teams in the Big Ten do relative to number of run plays?

• How many times do they run the ball prior to having an explosive run?

Wonder if they looked at record vs the spread?  FYI This is elite compared to other coaches.

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Undone said:

I’m blown away that Wisconsin lands Fickell and we didn’t. Definitely have perceived him to be the quintessential overachiever in the college football world.

Regardless of what Rhule does/doesn’t do, I fully expect Fickell to absolutely crush it in Madison.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Fickell but I sense we chose Rhule over him. We need a rebuilder, Rhule check. We need a head coach who has won at P5, Rhule check. We want that Texas pipeline back,  Rhule check. NFL experience which to me equates to a broader reach, more known nationally, Rhule check. I would also not be surprised if Rhule interviewed better and connected to our vision better, Rhule check. And then the fact that Fickell jumped so quickly after we announced Rhule tells me he was likely and deservedly a finalist for us and moved quickly on the other B1G opening, check mate.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic