*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

What specifically did they change?  More power?  More money under the table to recruits?

Focus on DL and OL.  Went for bigger faster and Stronger linemen.  More physical.  NU beat Tennessee up.  Before they were focused more on skilled players.

Go back and watch the game.  The announcers talk about it during the broadcast about the style differences.  

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

They say that Nebraska thumping Tennessee is what caused the SEC at the time to change the way they do things.  

I work with a lot of Michigan jackwagons.  They say there is no way that Nebraska could have hung with Michigan.

I am like, yep, that Ryan Leaf led WSU team was a powerhouse.

Any time this comes up with Michigan fans I'm like your best defender was a corner.  Great he would have shut down our best receiver (whoever that was).  Their offense wasn't great either.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You forget he played offense as well or was that special teams :dunno Been so long I don't remember unless I go look it up lol

yeah he played a little bit on offense and he did excel on special teams.  Not like Nebraska couldn't have handled that.  I'ld be willing to bet Tennessee had more NFL talent on their team than Michigan did. 

19 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

While that's true, a lot of those D-Linemen were also absolute freaks (I'm looking at you Kyle Vanden Bosch) that played on Sundays so while I'm not disagreeing with what your saying at all, I'm also saying we had some pretty special talent at the position as well.

roids...  lots of them :ph34r::corndance

See the source image

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Focus on DL and OL.  Went for bigger faster and Stronger linemen.  More physical.  NU beat Tennessee up.  Before they were focused more on skilled players.

Go back and watch the game.  The announcers talk about it during the broadcast about the style differences.  

very true

4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

They say that Nebraska thumping Tennessee is what caused the SEC at the time to change the way they do things.  

I work with a lot of Michigan jackwagons.  They say there is no way that Nebraska could have hung with Michigan.

I am like, yep, that Ryan Leaf led WSU team was a powerhouse.

This is the most annoying thing about that split championship. Nebraska would’ve absolutely destroyed Michigan (or anyone) that year. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. But they hid in their cherished Rose Bowl and struggled with Ryan Leaf.

I was at the 97 Orange Bowl. Our defense and OL should have all been charged with assault and battery. It was a brutal beatdown and it would’ve been the same or even worse vs Michigan.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 12/13/2022 at 5:53 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Sam McKewon was on 1620 on Monday, and he commented that the front 4 NU had in the mid to late 90s were consistently among the best and most talented defenders in all of college football.  They had guys who would play years in the NFL, who couldn't crack the starting lineup until they were late in their career.  McKewon said that type of talent is so sought after and highly recruited now, it would be nearly impossible to replicate.

EDIT:  I was partial to Donta Jones and Mike Rucker back in those days.  Their length and athleticism was incredible to see.

Yup, that much talent all on one team with the way college is played today is extremely difficult.  The most recent example I can think of is Clemson's team in 2019 that had had 3 DL taken in the first round (Wilkins/Ferrell/Lawrence) plus a 4th guy got taken in the fourth round.  Despite all that talent (plus all the offensive studs and other dudes on defense they had), they still got beat by that 2019 LSU team by 17.  Lol life is unfair sometimes.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic