*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Especially if we lose to Colorado and start the season off 0-2.  Nebraska has to start taking all their opponents serious.  

Wait, I thought Deion had no business coaching in P5 because he was a flashy black guy or something.  Now we're preparing to lose to the godawful team he took over?   I mean, have a little faith Rhule is, like, vaguely competent at coaching football.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Wait, I thought Deion had no business coaching in P5 because he was a flashy black guy or something.  Now we're preparing to lose to the godawful team he took over?   I mean, have a little faith Rhule is, like, vaguely competent at coaching football.

I never said that and don't bring race into it.  It has nothing to do with having faith in Rhule or not.  Nebraska tends to play down to their opponents and just bc Colorado was really bad this year doesn't mean they will be next year.  They might have their struggles during the season but since the game is in Boulder they will have home field advantage.  Like I said before and I will say it again Nebraska has to take all their opponents serious.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is in my opinion just a terrible take.  We have been pushing the last narative for the last 20 years.  Everyone who has coached here has been Vaguely competent at coaching football.   And as far as the flashy black guy comment,  Being black has nothing to do with this.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I never said that and don't bring race into it.  It has nothing to do with having faith in Rhule or not.  Nebraska tends to play down to their opponents and just bc Colorado was really bad this year doesn't mean they will be next year.  They might have their struggles during the season but since the game is in Boulder they will have home field advantage.  Like I said before and I will say it again Nebraska has to take all their opponents serious.

Yea like Oklahoma kicked us into the dirt last year and ended up being mediocre at best.

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

What?   You seem very negative towards everything right now.  

So, are you upset we even hired Rhule?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

It is difficult for me to comprehend how there are people adamantly opposed to this hire. I don't know what others experiences are. I've had people throw fits, sulk and be reluctant to communicating. It is just terrible...This "guy" doesn't know what he's doing. One convinced himself that Mickey Joseph was set up as part of a conspiracy. 

Matt Rhule is a good coach! And one that I think is a very good fit for us. Everyone has to prove himself of coarse. I don't know what it is, if it's that he lived on the east coast,  they're not impressed with what he's accomplished or something else. It's a small minority. Maybe it's because they've made a financial contribution and deem themselves entitled to call the shots. He simply wasn't their guy.

I think that if it were so upsetting of a coach being hired and I were that against him coaching here, I'd quietly excuse myself and move on elsewhere to what would bring me satisfaction. The vast majority of the fan base is at least encouraged by the hiring of coach Rhule. The doom and gloom and temper tantrums are silly. 

Laugh if it makes you feel better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

It is difficult for me to comprehend how there are people adamantly opposed to this hire. I don't know what others experiences are. I've had people throw fits, sulk and be reluctant to communicating. It is just terrible...This "guy" doesn't know what he's doing. One convinced himself that Mickey Joseph was set up as part of a conspiracy. 

Matt Rhule is a good coach! And one that I think is a very good fit for us. Everyone has to prove himself of coarse. I don't know what it is, if it's that he lived on the east coast,  they're not impressed with what he's accomplished or something else. It's a small minority. Maybe it's because they've made a financial contribution and deem themselves entitled to call the shots. He simply wasn't their guy.

I think that if it were so upsetting of a coach being hired and I were that against him coaching here, I'd quietly excuse myself and move on elsewhere to what would bring me satisfaction. The vast majority of the fan base is at least encouraged by the hiring of coach Rhule. The doom and gloom and temper tantrums are silly. 

I like this hire more and more. I knew he was a builder, but he also is showing to be very good recruiter and has a very aggressive recruiting staff. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

I like this hire more and more. I knew he was a builder, but he also is showing to be very good recruiter and has a very aggressive recruiting staff. 

I'm like how they're asserting themselves as well. They've really been getting after it. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, M.A. said:

Like you say, people opposed to the Rhule hire are a small minority, but it sounds like you've encountered more than your share.

It's anecdotal -- online forums and nobody in person -- but the one thing I saw in common with the people trolling both Rhule and Alberts is that they thought Mickey Joseph had somehow already earned the job, and bringing in an outsider amounted to betrayal. I think a lot of them have come around to Rhule as he says and does all the right things, and Mickey --- for some reason -- became harder to defend. A lot of those folks weren't really conversant in college football, it was just a Nebraska thing. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Like you say, people opposed to the Rhule hire are a small minority, but it sounds like you've encountered more than your share.

It's anecdotal -- online forums and nobody in person -- but the one thing I saw in common with the people trolling both Rhule and Alberts is that they thought Mickey Joseph had somehow already earned the job, and bringing in an outsider amounted to betrayal. I think a lot of them have come around to Rhule as he says and does all the right things, and Mickey --- for some reason -- became harder to defend. A lot of those folks weren't really conversant in college football, it was just a Nebraska thing. 

It's somewhat minuscule. Around five percent. The ones I've encountered wanted Meyer, Sanders, Fickell or Joseph. Or, options other than Rhule. I've had a couple that wanted Frost retained. "We've gotta quit firing coaches and give them time". Several said coach Rhule wasn't their top pick and that they'll support him. Most of those wanted coach Fickell. 

One thing is for sure, there are some programs who have coaches in years 1-3 that have been impressive years and bowl runs, seems some power is shifting. K state winning the Big 12 beating eventual Natty competitor TCU ,Tulane is just the latest. there were a couple other very good bowl wins with new coaches. If these programs  can do it, it would be an unbelievable crime if we don't.  Lets hope this works out this time for Nebraska. 5th time is a charm?

'

• Mavric unpinned this topic