*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Has anyone seen any tweets from Mickeys wife.  I only ask because shes been pretty kryptic but if theres silence unfortunately it might be hes leaving.  Which sucks

She tweeted this morning something like she's proud of the work that Mickey has done the past few months at NU, and she wishes the next head coach good luck.  Nothing I would infer that means Mickey will be around or not.

For those asking about players and recruits thoughts on Rhule, I am sure more will come out this week, especially after Rhule meets with the team.  Dwight Bootle II (current recruit) quote tweeted Matt Rhule and said "over excited! lets work coach!"

Recruits will know Rhule from being a NFL coach, and not necessarily a NFL failure.  That will make Rhule enticing for recruits.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

I’m still of the opinion Mickey stays. Rhule is a hire that put guys in the league and that is attractive to them and there now is renewed energy in the program. MJ has many players that have relationships with him that I don’t think he’d want to bail on. He’s going to get a great raise and prominent position on the staff. Really reminds me of what Donte Williams and USC did last season, he didn’t really win games for them (similar record as MJ) but he is on the new staff.

Unless MJ wants to be a head coach at smaller school non P5, I just don’t see it. His strength is recruiting and developing elite WR’s. Those types of players are not going to follow him to lesser schools.

I think this is an objectively good hire. I like his program building reputation, emphasis on line of scrimmage play, and recruiting capabilities/relationships in Texas. I'm also enjoying what little I've seen of his personality.

It's hard to get over that inherent, itching question of doubt in the back of all of our minds... wondering if this is finally the guy to get it figured out. But that's a bit cart before the horse. I think he's going to be given all the support and resources he needs to do the best job he can.

I'm also hopeful Mickey will stay on, but not necessarily expecting it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Let’s see how Trev and Mickey finish out this transition to Rhule, but this should be a smooth change. So much dysfunction going from Bo to Riley and Riley to Frost. All three personalities were drastically opposite of each other, but I’m optimistic that what we’ve seen from Mickey will propel the program in a positive direction for whoever the successor is.

I don’t believe they have a “culture” issue or personality flaw to deal with from the head coach, instead learning how to be a football team and win together. 

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Let’s see how Trev and Mickey finish out this transition to Rhule, but this should be a smooth change. So much dysfunction going from Bo to Riley and Riley to Frost. All three personalities were drastically opposite of each other, but I’m optimistic that what we’ve seen from Mickey will propel the program in a positive direction for whoever the successor is.

I don’t believe they have a “culture” issue or personality flaw to deal with from the head coach, instead learning how to be a football team and win together. 

I don’t think Mickey will make it like himself like Bo did after his firing (although Mickey isn’t getting “fired”) and I think Rhule won’t make the mistake that Frost did and made every Riley recruit out to be worthless players and place blame all on them. I think Rhule will treat this as a fresh start for everyone and will try to move the program forward. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • Enhance locked this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic