Matt Rhule

BlackHand

Rhule has the potential to be the best hire Nebraska has made since Osborne retired. He goes up against Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley and Frost. He seems to have the experience we need and maybe the most successful long term compared to those listed. Of course he could end up being like the rest, but I have this feeling that he will get after it, put in the work and actually build something at Nebraska. 

Also, maybe some find his paycheck from the Panthers as a reason he may not be all into this job, but I find it the exact opposite. Him wanting to coach this upcoming season means he wants to coach. He very well could sit around and do nothing for the rest of his life collecting a paycheck from the Panthers, but he chose to come and coach at Nebraska. He didn't have to if he didn't want to. 

Furthermore, adding to Rhule wanting to come to Nebraska, there is a different feel of him being hired and coming to Nebraska than Frost. I've posted about this before, but I always felt like when Frost came to Nebraska he wasn't really into coming here. I think he was genuinely torn between staying at UCF and coming back home. Maybe Frost saw the pending doom of his return, but I always wondered if he wanted to come here or if he felt obligated he had to come here. I remember hearing he was the coach and the press conference was a day or two away and feeling worried that he would have second thoughts and back out before the official signing. Rhule I feel like wants to be here, again, otherwise he could just sit at home and collect NFL money. 

You take that for consideration along with his videos out there at coaching conferences and listen to what he has to say and the guy I think genuinely loves coaching. I think he genuinely enjoys developing players and being competitive and growing a program. He's a true coach. I am excited to see what he can do in Lincoln as I think we will look back and say he was the best hire since Osborne retired.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

Maybe the silver lining in wake of the SF era will be, the unrealistic expectation things will and should  turnaround overnight have been buried, peed on, and buried again. 

The most important thing Rhule mentioned a couple times during the unveiling yesterday, paraphrasing: if you want to see something fail have a bunch of people standing around watching and criticizing the few doing the work.  If you want to see something succeed have every single person from fans, boosters, coaches, students, athletes, and people inside the AD all pulling in the same direction even when they may not agree with some of the details. 

That hit the nail on the head as I see one of our biggest obstacles to progress.  It was painfully apparent during the MR era.  A lot of people pulling the wrong direction.  Look where that got us.  Let's all grab ahold of the rope and pull together without questioning the direction the man in charge says we need to go.  

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

That hit the nail on the head as I see one of our biggest obstacles to progress.  It was painfully apparent during the MR era.  A lot of people pulling the wrong direction.  Look where that got us.  Let's all grab ahold of the rope and pull together without questioning the direction the man in charge says we need to go.  

What’s an example of this on the Riley era? He started out 5-7 and then went 8-4. Then he showed just terrible his player development and preparation was by going 4-8.

I’m curious what this looked like in the Frost era, also (even though you didn’t specifically mention that).

Frost had full support from Osborne and everyone else. 

29 minutes ago, Undone said:

What’s an example of this on the Riley era? He started out 5-7 and then went 8-4. Then he showed just terrible his player development and preparation was by going 4-8.

I’m curious what this looked like in the Frost era, also (even though you didn’t specifically mention that).

I will try to answer and then I am ready to look to the future and not backwards.   

As I recall things, the fanbase was fairly divided by the Riley hire from day one.  Partly because he wasn't flashy enough, or they weren't convinced by his prior record, etc... and others were not happy Bo was let go and took it out on the new guy.    The same could be said for the locker room.  It was filled with a lot of players who felt betrayed the coach who recruited them had been fired and were not ready/willing to embrace the next coach and maybe no matter who the new coach was.  I can understand those who felt that way even if it didn't help their own cause.  The most disconcerting thing to me was, the discovery there was tinkering by people in the AD with recruiting, and assistant fires/hires. 

My point being, there were a lot of people pulling in different directions for different reasons.  Some may have even been deliberately working to undermine success.

You're right, I didn't mention Frost, but my take would be this.  Even though I think he carried huge support coming in and had a generous amount of latitude, I'm not sure he actually appreciated how much latitude he had and felt some self imposed pressure to do things a certain way, due to history/tradition,. and trying to that didn't necessarily suit his strengths or that of his assistants and players.  It may have also distracted him early on from doing things his own way at the risk of turning over the apple cart. This is conjecture on my part and based on my reading of his body language, statements, and press conferences along with how things played out on hte field. 

14 hours ago, Undone said:

I think everyone was working hard and pulling in the right direction....except Frost.

• Fire 1