Matt Rhule

BlackHand

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

This imo is a repeat mistake of a hire. Rule will be a bust here. Karma could have been flipped with loyalty to MJ from the administration but instead the administration is repeating past mistakes and canning a loyal coach. Gotta say this repeat mistake is getting old. 

On a hopeful note, maybe MJ gets a chance at ASU with BB and BA tagging along with him. Mackey is the right choice but the blind continue leading the blind. 

I'm not sold on Rhule, but what you said is just silly.  We have been WAY too loyal with former Huskers as coaches. That crap needs to stop. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know NU needs an influx in talent, but what types of records would make you happy with Rhule?

Previously, I would have said win the west 2 out of 3 years and win the conference 1 out of 5. With the upcoming conference changes, I am not sure what's reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Previously, I would have said win the west 2 out of 3 years and win the conference 1 out of 5. With the upcoming conference changes, I am not sure what's reasonable.

Beat Norhwestern every year.  Beat Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota most of the time.  Don't lose to your patsey non--conference schedule.  Thos could have easily been a 7-8 win season with backup QB development and better play calling.  Our D got good enough to win everyone but Michigan at the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

There were maybe some names out there about equal to Rhule’s but hard to say there were many available that were clearly superior. It’s, imo, not a great year to be hiring a head coach and if dominos fall the way it is looking then this may be the hire of the season even if that may not mean much.

Rhule’s biggest strengths are in building relationships and he is not afraid of making changes to match the available resources at his disposal. That’s what worked at both Temple and Baylor; he found out what didn’t work and adjusted until it did work. He’s not a big X’s and O’s type of head coach who is dogmatic to a particular style, but he understands what wins football games.

Definitely a hire that can be seen as half empty or half full, but I go back to what I said when Frost was hired. There is always some degree of risk. You give him 3 years and if it isn’t working you fire him and try again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, Hagg said:

Trev’s hiring a fired has been.  Carolina was willing to give him 40 million dollars to clear out after not being able to "get over the losing hump."  

WTF?

Carolina fan.  It wasn't Rhule.  That place was a dumpster fire.  Can't rebuild in the NFL like you can in college.  Bringing Joe Brady didn't help him.  Saban, Urb, Spurrier all say hello as failed NFL coaches.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Carolina fan.  It wasn't Rhule.  That place was a dumpster fire.  Can't rebuild in the NFL like you can in college.  Bringing Joe Brady didn't help him.  Saban, Urb, Spurrier all say hello as failed NFL coaches.

I honestly wonder if Joe Brady is all that great. Yeah, he did well in his one year at LSU, but he also had NFL talent at every skill position. Makes it a lot easier to have a great offense with that talent. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

If it’s indeed Rhule, he said no to earning $10 million for sitting at home. He wants to coach and he wants to win. Have to believe a lot of what was discussed was about the support he’ll have, including the assistant salary pool. 

Apparently Carolina is still on the hook even if he takes the Nebraska job minus whatever we pay him. Probably made him a relatively cheap hire.