Thank you Mickey Joseph

12 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

To me reading this it sounds like there is some animosity there. Can be looking to deep into it but I say that if he feels he got so called "hosed" from the whole ordeal of not being fairly treated in the coaching search. If he wasn't giving the opportunity to interview for the head coach job with what he had to endure this season shame on Nebraska for that.  Don't know if he ever did or not but last time I heard he hadn't interview for it smh. I can understand why bc TA might have already had his guy or was basing it off if MJ could turn the ship around but he should still be interviewed give him that right.

Others would argue that if Trev conducted a interview with Mickey and he wasn't serious about it, it would be viewed disingenuous and a waist of Mickey's time (And it would be). I don't think that Mickey holds animosity. If there are more qualified options, others that aren't won't be invited to an interview.  That's the nature of the business and Mickey's got the maturity address it professionally.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Even if the AD so called knew who he wanted to hire or not MJ earned that right to be interviewed and you wonder why there is a Rooney Rule in the NFL and that still hasn't helped the problem.

The last several games were MJ’s interview. Had he won a few more, I imagine he would have been given strong consideration. Reality is, he’s clearly not a fit for a B1G HC spot.

Regarding your Rooney Rule reference, I don’t see what race has to do with any of this. Nebraska would absolutely hire a non-caucasian HC if that person was the RIGHT person for the job.

I think Mickey did a decent job. The problem with a long-term interim is that if you don't hire the Interim full time you likely lose your top two employees. Forsythe new guy it could be me dangerous if Mickey does stick around. Think about team dynamics with just a QB battle that splits the team. Now think head coach, and a guy a lot of the team might think should have been head coach. Could make things even worse than they are.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, The Whale said:

The last several games were MJ’s interview. Had he won a few more, I imagine he would have been given strong consideration. Reality is, he’s clearly not a fit for a B1G HC spot.

Regarding your Rooney Rule reference, I don’t what race has to do with any of this. Nebraska would absolutely hire a non-caucasian HC if that person was the RIGHT person for the job.

Your basing your decision off of wins or losses which you can't or shouldn't. I never said they wouldn't hire a non-caucasion I just feel like the spot they put MJ in to take over the team mid season and what he had to endure wasn't his fault. Not his coaches or staff. No coach on Nebraska could have done it any better then him that's why Nebraska asked him to take over. All I'm saying is you can't judge him or hold him at fault for SF failures. That's why you give him the interview. You never know how he could turn this program around if you don't give him the opportunity to try to find out. I can sit here and say I wanted a big name hire bc I didn't feel like MJ was ready to be a coach but I would have still wanted to give him that interview bc of what he had to work with. Feel like Nebraska owned him at least that much.

4 hours ago, sho said:

I think he understands he won't be the HC, I'm hoping he can stay WR coach and RC

I want to keep him around but disagree about making him RC. He is our go-to salesman. I want him out on the floor moving our product not spending a substantial amount of his time back in the office running things. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Toe said:

Eh, IDK if they were really that much better than earlier this year, most of this win was due to Iowa being even more pathetic than we are.

I agree;   they did screw themselves on several occasions.  In other words, they acted more like Nebraska than Nebraska did.  Thus the Nebraska win.

6 hours ago, The Whale said:

If the AD KNOWS he’s not going to hire MJ, an interview would be a waste of everyone’s time.

From where Frost left this team to where it is now MJ deserves a lot of credit. Very few thought we would stood a chance to win games in the East after GA Southern, and in spite of that we beat the spread on every game but Illinois, with multiple opportunities to win games late in the second half.

What he did was remarkable given where we were. No one  can doubt the way this team played under him he would have beat both NW and GA Southern, which would make him bowl eligible in his first year with a staff that wasn't his. Not to mention if he had his own staff Wisc and Minn would have likely been wins. 

The man was deserving of a minimum to be interviewed. And honestly should have had the job.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
26 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

From where Frost left this team to where it is now MJ deserves a lot of credit. Very few thought we would stood a chance to win games in the East after GA Southern, and in spite of that we beat the spread on every game but Illinois, with multiple opportunities to win games late in the second half.

What he did was remarkable given where we were. No one  can doubt the way this team played under him he would have beat both NW and GA Southern, which would make him bowl eligible in his first year with a staff that wasn't his. Not to mention if he had his own staff Wisc and Minn would have likely been wins. 

The man was deserving of a minimum to be interviewed. And honestly should have had the job.

So we beat the spread.  How is that in any way relevant? If we’re 30 point dogs and lose by 29, are we supposed to feel good about it? Is that equivalent to a participation trophy?

“Multiple opportunities to win games late in the second half”. How many did we actually win? If we’re going to count chances to win we could have just kept Frost. 

I applaud the effort he put in, and the kids did seem to play hard for him. But that doesn’t come close to qualifying him to be the head coach. 

43 minutes ago, StuckinCO said:

So we beat the spread.  How is that in any way relevant? If we’re 30 point dogs and lose by 29, are we supposed to feel good about it? Is that equivalent to a participation trophy?

“Multiple opportunities to win games late in the second half”. How many did we actually win? If we’re going to count chances to win we could have just kept Frost. 

I applaud the effort he put in, and the kids did seem to play hard for him. But that doesn’t come close to qualifying him to be the head coach. 

This wasn't his staff! And he was able to accomplish those results.

Folks like you make no sense. You're ok diminishing MJ's qualifications for being HC, but the guy we are bringing in had lesser results his first years at Temple and Baylor, and those were teams that at least two years prior had winning records. Rhule went 3-21 his first years at Baylor and Temple respectfully. MJ won 3 games with a staff that wasn't his, and for a team he took over mid season.

You can doubt all you want, but if MJ goes elsewhere and becomes a successful HC, I hope he never comes back or looks back. And no one here could blame him for it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Since we’re all speculating:

What if MJ told TA that he didn’t feel ready to be a head coach?  What if the conversations were about how MJ wants to be part of the next staff in a similar role as he was brought in to do last year?

Trev told him that he would discuss it with candidates and keep him in the loop?

MJs people floated the ASU rumor to maybe get the candidates to take him seriously.

That would explain why MJ never got interviewed or even talked about the head job.  

We may never know…

34 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Was this our best win since 9-4 Minnesota in 2016??? People don't realize how far we fell and what Mickey picked up. Dude did great for what he had to work with. I wouldn't hire a HC who said he wouldn't take Mickey on his staff. 

You can't put that on the next head coach.  That's the type of administration meddling which has set NU back for the past 20+ years.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1