Thank you Mickey Joseph

21 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

This wasn't his staff! And he was able to accomplish those results.

Folks like you make no sense. You're ok diminishing MJ's qualifications for being HC, but the guy we are bringing in had lesser results his first years at Temple and Baylor, and those were teams that at least two years prior had winning records. Rhule went 3-21 his first years at Baylor and Temple respectfully. MJ won 3 games with a staff that wasn't his, and for a team he took over mid season.

You can doubt all you want, but if MJ goes elsewhere and becomes a successful HC, I hope he never comes back or looks back. And no one here could blame him for it.

But what did he really accomplish Yes they played harder. But they still didn’t WIN .  Against one of the weakest schedules in college football. Illinois is marginal, Michigan is ok, everybody especially was garbage. And he had way less to work with when he took over that Baylor team than Mickey did here. I can’t speak to what was there at Temple 

Yes Rhule had poor results in his first years. But he had real tangible results after that. He made poor programs  competitive.  Those are tangible results. Could Mickey do the same?

Maybe, maybe not. I love Mickey as much as the next Husker fan, but can we really afford to take a chance with a guy with zero head coaching experience? He still mismanages the clock, and any experienced head coach would have done something with Whipple. 

I really hope he stays and has a long future with us, possibly in that head coach capacity at some point. I just don’t think he’s ready yet. 

8 hours ago, The Whale said:

The last several games were MJ’s interview. Had he won a few more, I imagine he would have been given strong consideration. Reality is, he’s clearly not a fit for a B1G HC spot.

Regarding your Rooney Rule reference, I don’t see what race has to do with any of this. Nebraska would absolutely hire a non-caucasian HC if that person was the RIGHT person for the job.

Your head must be buried in the sand.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

MJ never had a chance. The boosters would have never allowed it. But, we will give certain coaches multiple chances and give them big money. So, I guess MJ will go back to being an “assistant coach” or “a good coordinator”. Or my favorite “good recruiter”.

I read somewhere in the board that MJ is our “go to salesmen” and “he doesnt  need to be in an office”. Thats old school low key right there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

MJ never had a chance. The boosters would have never allowed it. But, we will give certain coaches multiple chances and give them big money. So, I guess MJ will go back to being an “assistant coach” or “a good coordinator”. Or my favorite “good recruiter”.

You can recruit em, cheer for em, win championships, fill the stadium with em and even let them on your staff. But that is the glass ceiling. I read somewhere in the board that MJ is our “go to salesmen” and “he doesnt  need to be in an office”. Thats old school low key right there. 

If Mickey ever wants to be a head coach in college football, he should go pursue head coaching jobs which will get him enough experience to be attractive to big name programs.  Yes, someone will throw out Dabo Swinney as a guy who came out of nowhere to be great at Clemson, but that's one name in the 21st century.

6 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

I read somewhere in the board that MJ is our “go to salesmen” and “he doesnt  need to be in an office”. Thats old school low key right there. 

So, racism, right?

43 minutes ago, StuckinCO said:

But what did he really accomplish Yes they played harder. But they still didn’t WIN .  Against one of the weakest schedules in college football. Illinois is marginal, Michigan is ok, everybody especially was garbage. And he had way less to work with when he took over that Baylor team than Mickey did here. I can’t speak to what was there at Temple 

Yes Rhule had poor results in his first years. But he had real tangible results after that. He made poor programs  competitive.  Those are tangible results. Could Mickey do the same?

Maybe, maybe not. I love Mickey as much as the next Husker fan, but can we really afford to take a chance with a guy with zero head coaching experience? He still mismanages the clock, and any experienced head coach would have done something with Whipple. 

I really hope he stays and has a long future with us, possibly in that head coach capacity at some point. I just don’t think he’s ready yet. 

We are likely to be Northwestern's only win this season. He accomplished a lot from where we started. 

And you can't compare having your own staff, off season, and playing in the weak Big12 to inheriting a mess mid season in the BIG10 while beating a team we have lost to in the past seven years, and almost beating Wisc. 

You're drinking the kool-aid. Nebraska hadn't been to a bowl game in 5 seasons. Prior to Rhule, Baylor and Temple had been to at least 3 bowl games in their past 5 seasons.

I get it people wanted to go with the safe pick, but the safe picks of MR and Frost have got us nowhere.

The players loved MJ and he deserved to be interviewed.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Mickey ever wants to be a head coach in college football, he should go pursue head coaching jobs which will get him enough experience to be attractive to big name programs.  Yes, someone will throw out Dabo Swinney as a guy who came out of nowhere to be great at Clemson, but that's one name in the 21st century.

I have moved all across the country over the pass 20 years and I can emphatically say people don't see us as a big name program and when outside BigTen and Big12 country most have forgotten we exist.  The know us as the team that was good 20+ years ago.

Regardless, you assert that Rhule is a finished product because he has experience. I doubt he is a finished product.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
31 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

We are likely to be Northwestern's only win this season. He accomplished a lot from where we started. 

And you can't compare having your own staff, off season, and playing in the weak Big12 to inheriting a mess mid season in the BIG10 while beating a team we have lost to in the past seven years, and almost beating Wisc. 

You're drinking the kool-aid. Nebraska hadn't been to a bowl game in 5 seasons. Prior to Rhule, Baylor and Temple had been to at least 3 bowl games in their past 5 seasons.

I get it people wanted to go with the safe pick, but the safe picks of MR and Frost have got us nowhere.

The players loved MJ and he deserved to be interviewed.

You’re going to reference the “weak Big12l?  Have you looked lately at our division?

3 out of 5 years prior doesn’t mean anything. Teams can, and do, change dramatically from one year to the next. The Baylor team he took over wasn’t anything resembling a bowl team. 

Frost was obviously the correct hire at the time, he was the hottest commodity in the game. It was almost unanimous that he was IT. Riley, I don’t know that I would ever classify him as a safe pick. He seemed to be nothing more than a last minute reach who was the opposite of Pelini, which seemed to be the top priority. 

I’m not drinking any kool-aid. I simply believe we are better off hiring a guy with experience at this type of rebuild. Obviously you don’t put much stock in what he’s done previously. Others do. I certainly hope the others are right and you’re wrong,  it who knows. 

I believe Busch taking over for Chinander was more impactful than the head coaching change. If you are so concerned with it being his own staff, he should have shown Whipple the door at the same time as Chinander. 

• Plus1 1