Thank you Mickey Joseph

Mickey should be thanked for what he did do, but he didn't do anything that was spectacular.  He led a group of young men.  He was left with a mess, and did his best to correct some issues that have plagued this program for 5+ seasons.

I think if anything he showed  us just how far out of touch Frosty was with the Big 10 and Big 10 football.  Beyond that, he didn't improve this team that much if your looking at the numbers.  4 wins was nice, but would've and could've says this team should have won 6 games this season.  Same issues that were present with Frost were still present with Mickey.  We found ways to lose games late.  Its time for a new sheriff in town.

• Haha 3
  • TBH 1

17 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I have moved all across the country over the pass 20 years and I can emphatically say people don't see us as a big name program and when outside BigTen and Big12 country most have forgotten we exist.  The know us as the team that was good 20+ years ago.

Regardless, you assert that Rhule is a finished product because he has experience. I doubt he is a finished product.

I never said that Rhule is a finished product.  I prefer Rhule over Mickey because Rhule has experience having success at 2 college programs.  I prefer to have that type of experience going into this job.  NU is a rebuild project right now.  I prefer a coach who has experience doing that in the past.  It may not be successful, but I prefer to lean on someone who has that experience.

Mickey got started in coaching late in his life.  Mickey has shown a lot of value as a recruiter and assistant coach.  There have been a lot of assistant coaches who were great at recruiting, who were terrible as head coaches.  As I said before, if Mickey is interested in running his own program, then he should pursue those jobs.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I never said that Rhule is a finished product.  I prefer Rhule over Mickey because Rhule has experience having success at 2 college programs.  I prefer to have that type of experience going into this job.  NU is a rebuild project right now.  I prefer a coach who has experience doing that in the past.  It may not be successful, but I prefer to lean on someone who has that experience.

Mickey got started in coaching late in his life.  Mickey has shown a lot of value as a recruiter and assistant coach.  As I said before, if Mickey is interested in running his own program, then he should pursue those types of jobs.

Northern Colorado needs a coach. If he can win in Greeley then he’s ready for Lincoln!

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

MJ never had a chance. The boosters would have never allowed it. But, we will give certain coaches multiple chances and give them big money. So, I guess MJ will go back to being an “assistant coach” or “a good coordinator”. Or my favorite “good recruiter”.

I read somewhere in the board that MJ is our “go to salesmen” and “he doesnt  need to be in an office”. Thats old school low key right there. 

Mickey never had a chance to be the permanent head coach because he proved he wasn’t ready during his interim gig. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. Joseph was handed the keys to a hot mess and did his best to straighten it out. And he did, to a certain degree. Each week I saw improvement in the team on the field. Tackling got a little better each week, penalties became fewer and fewer (an indication players were becoming more disciplined) and players began playing with fire in their hearts again culminating with beating Iowa.

Thank you Mr Joseph for being a leader to these young men and giving all of us fans hope again.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, SECHusker said:

This wasn't his staff! And he was able to accomplish those results.

Folks like you make no sense. You're ok diminishing MJ's qualifications for being HC, but the guy we are bringing in had lesser results his first years at Temple and Baylor, and those were teams that at least two years prior had winning records. Rhule went 3-21 his first years at Baylor and Temple respectfully. MJ won 3 games with a staff that wasn't his, and for a team he took over mid season.

You can doubt all you want, but if MJ goes elsewhere and becomes a successful HC, I hope he never comes back or looks back. And no one here could blame him for it.

Nebraska has a lot more talent compared to Baylor/Temple at the time. Just a thought 

• Haha 1

Big fan of Mickey Joseph, and yes I wanted him to be the guy to be HC moving forward, and pick his own staff, and out on the recruiting trail.  I would have been thrilled with that. :woo

But, I will now say that if he remains on staff at WR and keep recruiting big time talent to Nebraska, I am still feeling good about it.  chuckleshuffle

:power

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

That is a poor take, as he did not have his staff or recruits.  Hats off to Mickey for a job well done!

His game management was not good.   That’s  not a poor take, it’s a correct take.   Doesn’t mean he isn’t a great position coach or a great recruiter.  At the present time, he isn’t a great or good head coach.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

His game management was not good.   That’s  not a poor take, it’s a correct take.   Doesn’t mean he isn’t a great position coach or a great recruiter.  At the present time, he isn’t a great or good head coach.  

Agree to disagree.  He did the best he could do, as we could not run the clock out due to a horrible oline.  Not his fault.  Feelings & facts are different.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1