Thank you Mickey Joseph

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Agree to disagree.  He did the best he could do, as we could not run the clock out due to a horrible oline.  Not his fault.  Feelings & facts are different.

Agree with the bolded which is why Mickey probably wasn’t ever seriously considered.  

His late game time management and timeout use was pretty bad. That’s not really in dispute.  His second half adjustments weren’t good and he wouldn’t override the OC and play LS.   All things a competent HC would do and be better at.   Not everyone is head coach material no matter the feels people have for MJ.   At this time, He is what he is and he’s really good at what that is……being a great recruiter and position coach.  

Facts are a stubborn thing to the believers. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 1

7 hours ago, lo country said:

MJ did something that two previous NU coaches couldn't.  Two guys with previous HC experience.  Beat Iowa.  Thanks coach!

As deep as the depths this season has been and with all of the things that Iowa had riding on this last game, it's incredible we bounced back and won the game the way we did.

It wasn't perfect, but we spoiled their season in a way they've spoiled our seasons where we were playing for bowl contention, only to be sent off with an Iowa kicker blowing a kiss.

I won't forget the job Mickey took on, willingly. He circled the wagons and made the necessary staff changes in short order. His task was monumental and nobody expected success, but he kept the course and the kids kept playing.

Frost teams would have lost this game 10/10 times. Mickey has instituted a culture change here at Nebraska. I REALLY hope he's kept on the staff (perhaps groomed for HC waiting in the wings). I'll always follow Mickey, whatever happens.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, 308_Husker said:

As deep as the depths this season has been and with all of the things that Iowa had riding on this last game, it's incredible we bounced back and won the game the way we did.

It wasn't perfect, but we spoiled their season in a way they've spoiled our seasons where we were playing for bowl contention, only to be sent off with an Iowa kicker blowing a kiss.

I won't forget the job Mickey took on, willingly. He circled the wagons and made the necessary staff changes in short order. His task was monumental and nobody expected success, but he kept the course and the kids kept playing.

Frost teams would have lost this game 10/10 times. Mickey has instituted a culture change here at Nebraska. I REALLY hope he's kept on the staff (perhaps groomed for HC waiting in the wings). I'll always follow Mickey, whatever happens.

No doubt about this.  No way Frost would have won this game. Testament to MJ and the team for sure.

Just now, Mavric said:

But do we have to consider where Iowa was…..????

I don't tbh.  Only because of where we are.  Iowa had an ESPN PFI of 80+  to win and they didn't.  They are now 7-5.  Unsure if we have beat a B1G foe that had a winning record.  It was Iowa.  A team that we hadn't beat in years.  And they almost came back and we held.  I'll take it as the best win in the past 6 years.  And that is based on where we are right now for sure.  And that's sad I chalk this one up as a marquee win....

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I don't tbh.  Only because of where we are.  Iowa had an ESPN PFI of 80+  to win and they didn't.  They are now 7-5.  Unsure if we have beat a B1G foe that had a winning record.  It was Iowa.  A team that we hadn't beat in years.  And they almost came back and we held.  I'll take it as the best win in the past 6 years.  And that is based on where we are right now for sure.  And that's sad I chalk this one up as a marquee win....

It was a joke.  That is what Eichorst said dismissing Pelini’s victory over Iowa right before he got fired.  That was the last time we’d beaten them until yesterday.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was a joke.  That is what Eichorst said dismissing Pelini’s victory over Iowa right before he got fired.  That was the last time we’d beaten them until yesterday.

My bad!:lol:  The whole "I have to look at where they are and where we are" quote.  And then Bo was fired, after beating them and here we are.

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, lo country said:

No doubt about this.  No way Frost would have won this game. Testament to MJ and the team for sure.

Frost would have lost this game because he would have kept Chinander as DC. I actually think Frost is a pretty good offensive guy. He's a better fit as an OC, not a head coach. Heck, if he just would have actually found a DC that's not Chinander, who knows, maybe he's still the head coach. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Frost would have lost this game because he would have kept Chinander as DC. I actually think Frost is a pretty good offensive guy. He's a better fit as an OC, not a head coach. Heck, if he just would have actually found a DC that's not Chinander, who knows, maybe he's still the head coach. 

I do think he'd be a MUCH  better OC than a HC.  I just think NU under Frost was just broken.  I think he had a lot of personal issues going on that also really impacted his coaching.  Unsure if one individual was responsible.  I look at Cally and Coz.  That was a situation, IMHO, where Coz was one guy that had Cally not brought, Cally could have been very good.  

16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Agree with the bolded which is why Mickey probably wasn’t ever seriously considered.  

His late game time management and timeout use was pretty bad. That’s not really in dispute.  His second half adjustments weren’t good and he wouldn’t override the OC and play LS.   All things a competent HC would do and be better at.   Not everyone is head coach material no matter the feels people have for MJ.   At this time, He is what he is and he’s really good at what that is……being a great recruiter and position coach.  

Facts are a stubborn thing to the believers. 

Timeout usage is subjective because what works in one situation may not work in another similar situation. And handling Whipple isn't as cut and dried as just making him do what you say. The second half adjustments would fall more on the coordinators than the head coach.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:31 AM, Huskerfollower4life said:

To me reading this it sounds like there is some animosity there. Can be looking to deep into it but I say that if he feels he got so called "hosed" from the whole ordeal of not being fairly treated in the coaching search. If he wasn't giving the opportunity to interview for the head coach job with what he had to endure this season shame on Nebraska for that.  Don't know if he ever did or not but last time I heard he hadn't interview for it smh. I can understand why bc TA might have already had his guy or was basing it off if MJ could turn the ship around but he should still be interviewed give him that right.

He did get an interview. A two month long 8 game interview. And he did a pretty fantastic job. But this program doesn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a first time head coach right now. Expecially one that hasn't even been a coordinator before. Mickey is a fantastic coach and the hiring of Matt Rhule is kind of perfect for him imo. Rhule is a program builder that doesn't stay in one place too long after he builds it. He probably sticks around longer here than other stops but I doubt he's totally done with the NFL and if he is successful in building the program here and an opportunity in the league comes up he probably will take it.

When Rhule took the Baylor job he hired 3 of the top local highscool coaches to help him with local recruiting and help in understanding the culture. Including Texas Tech head coach Joey Mcguire who ended up being Rhule's associate head coach. I fully expect him to do the same here but instead of highscool coaches it's Mickey Joseph, Bill Busch and maybe Applewhite. I wouldn't mind if Becton stayed too but it doesn't seem likely. 

Mickey can get a few years in as a coordinator and be ready to take the reins of what hopefully will be a significantly better team than the current one when Rhule moves on. He also probably earned himself a few calls from some smaller schools looking for a headcoach and though it would suck to see him go that route also sets up a future head job here when Rhule moves on. 

I fully expect Mickey Joseph to be the head coach at Nebraska in the future. It just depends on how long and by which route it takes.

16 hours ago, 308_Husker said:

I was at a bar in Vegas watching the USA game vs wales when we gave up the game tying goal a person shouted oh no we just pulled a Nebraska. That’s the culture we have right now and how we are perceived. We did everything we could to blow the lead vs Iowa which is what we did multiple times under Mickey and Frost I didn’t see a culture change but Mickey hadn’t been head coach long either 

• Plus1 1