If Mickey isn't on the new coaching staff we riot at dawn

knapplc

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Mickey is a standup guy, and no matter the outcome he'll make it work and be all in. That's just who he is.

Yup. These guys are kids. If there’s some dissention or confusion, MJ will shut it down real quick. Only question is does he want to be here or not?  He might have better career trajectory moving on someplace else. 

When you have someone in charge and then they are demoted, there is usually friction between the new and the old.  A new coach coming in does not want a divided coaching staff of new guard vs. Old guard.  They have enough other things to worry about.  That is why they most always clean house and start from scratch at the very start.  They are all well off financially.  As Mickey said, he will find a job given his talents and experience.  Our new WR coach may be a downgrade in recruiting from him, but every other assistant coach will be a massive upgrade. 

47 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yup. These guys are kids. If there’s some dissention or confusion, MJ will shut it down real quick. Only question is does he want to be here or not?  He might have better career trajectory moving on someplace else. 

I think his agent will prefer to capitalize on his recent head coaching momentum and we won't see Mickey on our sideline next year.  As much as I've liked Mickey, it may be for the best long term for all parties involved, which is not to say that Mickey isn't great at what he does.  The dynamics of the situation were he to stay, are challenging at best.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, 307husker said:

I think his agent will prefer to capitalize on his recent head coaching momentum and we won't see Mickey on our sideline next year.  As much as I've liked Mickey, it may be for the best long term for all parties involved, which is not to say that Mickey isn't great at what he does.  The dynamics of the situation were he to stay, are challenging at best.  

Unfortunately have to agree with this.  Which isn't to say I want him gone or he will be gone.  But there are definitely potential pitfalls if he comes back.  Which shouldn't be ignored in the decision-making process.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, 307husker said:

No matter what efforts have been made by Rhule, he will be held responsible by some for Mickey not being retained even if not the case. 

The program isn’t about any one person. Hopefully there’s a way for it to work.

Why is everybody assuming that the decisions weren't made months ago?  I think it was fairly obvious to everyone involved that Trev had a quick hook ready to go on Frost, and he would have informed all coaches coming here that it was a possibility.  If you think Mickey didn't know what could have happened months ago and not had a plan (and worked with Trev to do so), then you're sorely mistaken.

Besides - I believe that it was in MJ's contract that he could retain his pay no matter who was named the head coach here, right?

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Why is everybody assuming that the decisions weren't made months ago?  I think it was fairly obvious to everyone involved that Trev had a quick hook ready to go on Frost, and he would have informed all coaches coming here that it was a possibility.  If you think Mickey didn't know what could have happened months ago and not had a plan (and worked with Trev to do so), then you're sorely mistaken.

Besides - I believe that it was in MJ's contract that he could retain his pay no matter who was named the head coach here, right?

image.gif.8e7ffe93b4352f7f26314861d8a93ecf.gif

32 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

I *think* Mickey’s compensation returns to what it originally was prior to being raised for serving as interim. Around $600K. And, two years remain on the contract(?).

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I *think* Mickey’s compensation returns to what it originally was prior to being raised for serving as interim. Around $600K. And, two years remain on the contract(?).

2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Think again:

https://www.klkntv.com/nebraska-restructures-contract-of-interim-head-coach-mickey-jospeh/

5 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Apparently I'm missing what I'm supposed to think about again.  That article says exactly what @M.A. said, other than the two years remaining, which I believe is correct.

If Nebraska hires someone other than Mickey Joseph as head football coach, he can return to his previous role as associate head coach and wide receivers coach immediately.

That’s according to the interim coach’s restructured contract.

The contract also clarifies Joseph’s pay increase as interim head coach.

His base pay as a full-time Nebraska assistant is $600,000 annually

• Plus1 1