If Mickey isn't on the new coaching staff we riot at dawn

knapplc

Just now, olddominionhusker said:

I like Mickey as much as the next guy but we don’t need to make him the highest paid assistant coach in the country. He’s a great person, terrific motivator and recruiter. But I think with a 7 million assistant pool we can fill those needs in other ways. Sorry I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion 

I am with you.  Splitting up the pie of $7M could start to be difficult once the coordinators and other assistant coaches Rhule wants are being considered.

• Fire 1

Mickey is looking for a HC job.  He threw his name in at ASU and Colorado (maybe that was to try to leverage Trev???).  He's mentioned as a candidate at Tulsa.  Would have to think he'd shoot for Tulane as well.

I am going to guess we won't know his future until he knows he's not getting HC jobs.  And maybe Rhule doesn't want to wait on him for that?  

• Plus1 1
On 11/25/2022 at 11:13 PM, Packerhuskerfan said:

That will probably be more Mickey's decision than anything.  I think a new coach at the very least would want to keep him on as a WR coach and recruiter.  Sometimes, when an assistant gets a taste at head coaching, but is passed over, they have hurt feelings and go elsewhere. 

I read that Coach Rhule has already reached out to Mickey. So hopefully Mickey will stay. It would bring nice continuity/smoother transition to the team if that could happen. 

Just now, M.A. said:

Some are saying that if Peetz is officially hired, the increases the possibility for Mickey remaining. Rhule is using some creativity in assembling his staff to help make it happen. 

Peetz is QB coach how does that help MJ being retained -- unless it means Rhule isn't hiring an outside WR coach 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Peetz is QB coach how does that help MJ being retained -- unless it means Rhule isn't hiring an outside WR coach 

They've worked together previous providing some continuity there I think Mickey not working with a whole group he doesn't have any experience with. The relationship with the receivers and quarterbacks. 

I think we will need to wait until some of these head coaching positions are filled.

I believe Nebraska wants him, or this would have been resolved already. Just reading the tea leaves, I even think Nebraska is willing to pay a bit of a premium, but the assistant coaching pool is a fixed value and you obviously can't pay a position coach a head coach salary. I think if it gets to the point his offers are position coach vs position coach Nebraska will be very competitive, but if someone wants to throw a big promotion his way then that's that.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, brophog said:

I think we will need to wait until some of these head coaching positions are filled.

I believe Nebraska wants him, or this would have been resolved already. Just reading the tea leaves, I even think Nebraska is willing to pay a bit of a premium, but the assistant coaching pool is a fixed value and you obviously can't pay a position coach a head coach salary. I think if it gets to the point his offers are position coach vs position coach Nebraska will be very competitive, but if someone wants to throw a big promotion his way then that's that.

Perfectly said @brophog  Exactly

9 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Just noticed Mickey’s wife deactivated her Twitter account. Prob not a good sign.

Or maybe her husband said it was a stupid thing to go on social media while it's possible he and his current employer (or future employers) are working out a legal binding contract?

Social media is such a clown show.

• TBH 1