If Mickey isn't on the new coaching staff we riot at dawn

knapplc

I think there's a good chance this will be the first staff we've ever had that has zero ties whatsoever to Nebraska. I don't think it's a requirement in order to coach here but it is nice to have someone who is familiar with the state and recruiting here. Rhule would be smart to ask Mickey to stay along with an increase in pay after the job he did as interim HC.

His recruiting prowess alone should be enough to convince Rhule. We will find out soon.

4 minutes ago, Dansker said:

I think there's a good chance this will be the first staff we've ever had that has zero ties whatsoever to Nebraska. I don't think it's a requirement in order to coach here but it is nice to have someone who is familiar with the state and recruiting here. Rhule would be smart to ask Mickey to stay along with an increase in pay after the job he did as interim HC.

His recruiting prowess alone should be enough to convince Rhule. We will find out soon.

Hopefully everyone is able to work through it!

More on Mickey and other issues at Herbie’s Hangout.

https://herbieshangout.com/2022/11/28/what-im-hearing-about-mickey-rhule-vs-fickell-negativity-moving-forward-and-the-new-hires/?amp=1

33 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If he has aspirations of being a head coach there’s a lot of assistant opportunities out there now.

Not really understanding how Mickey all of the sudden wants to be a HC when he hasn't angled that way for 25 years. It was just an easy in and the state of Nebraska was almost duped into allowing it to happen. Hiring Mickey would have been 100000x more embarrassing than the degree of stupidity we see with Iowa and Ferentz.  Kirk at least doesn't lose 60% of his games.

I also don't get the concern for the split locker room. Mickey hasn't even been in town for an entire year yet. It is not like he is some keystone in most of these kids' lives. Also, I would be suprised if over half of the locker room next year isn't brought in new by Rhule anyway.

I'm all about keeping Mickey for his connections to the state, his recruiting prowess, his WR coaching chops.  But to pretend keeping him is the only way to move forward with success is undermining Rhule and his chops before his plane even lands. Rhule is a grown man, a well regarded professional in the industry. If we don't trust him w/o Mickey training wheels, we really really really botched this hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

On 11/26/2022 at 10:26 PM, 3gunhusker said:

We’re gonna move on from Mickey.  No one wants his wife tweeting all day.  Guy had his chance, now let the pros come in.  He’ll get some sh&t job in Arizona, and his wife will be happy posting in instagram.  We’ll be managed by a pro staff that wants to win, not cash a check.  

check back with me next year at this time.

Mickey just wanted to cash a check? Hmm

image.gif

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not really understanding how Mickey all of the sudden wants to be a HC when he hasn't angled that way for 25 years. It was just an easy in and the state of Nebraska was almost duped into allowing it to happen. Hiring Mickey would have been 100000x more embarrassing than the degree of stupidity we see with Iowa and Ferentz.  Kirk at least doesn't lose 60% of his games.

I also don't get the concern for the split locker room. Mickey hasn't even been in town for an entire year yet. It is not like he is some keystone in most of these kids' lives. Also, I would be suprised if over half of the locker room next year isn't brought in new by Rhule anyway.

I'm all about keeping Mickey for his connections to the state, his recruiting prowess, his WR coaching chops.  But to pretend keeping him is the only way to move forward with success is undermining Rhule and his chops before his plane even lands. Rhule is a grown man, a well regarded professional in the industry. If we don't trust him w/o Mickey training wheels, we really really really botched this hire.

It would seem that both Rhule and Mickey have to give a little. Without knowing the actual amount that’s being requested, it’s hard to say. And we don’t know what the agreed upon staff budget is.

There’s a lot to consider. I do know that it’s not about any one person. It has to function well as a whole.

Wait and see while hoping for the best…

39 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

The comment was not that "Mickey would split the locker room".  It was that why have the confusion to kids as to who "Dad" is when you don't need to.

No one was questioning Mickey's character.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The comment was not that "Mickey would split the locker room".  It was that why have the confusion to kids as to who "Dad" is when you don't need to.

No one was questioning Mickey's character.

I actually have a similar concern.  It's not that Mickey is pushing for locker room division or being unprofessional.  It's more of the kids not fully buying into who the head man in charge is.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I actually have a similar concern.  It's not that Mickey is pushing for locker room division or being unprofessional.  It's more of the kids not fully buying into who the head man in charge is.

This is big time overblown imo. If Mickey stays he will be bought in to the new HC and if the players want to be a part of this team they will be too. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I liked Jim Rose’s take on KFAB.  Hadn’t really thought about it the way he talked about.

Basically it may be better for everyone involved if Mickey moves on.  Is it worth the risk of dividing the locker room?  If he has aspirations of being a head coach there’s a lot of assistant opportunities out there now.

I think Mickey did a decent job. The problem with a long-term interim is that if you don't hire the Interim full time you likely lose your top two employees. For the new guy it could be dangerous if Mickey does stick around. Think about team dynamics with just a QB battle that splits the team. Now think head coach, and a guy a lot of the team might think should have been head coach. Could make things even worse than they are.

- Posted this on Saturday in the Thank You Mikey Joseph thread. Love it when people paid to talk make me sound like I might know a bit about what I'm talking about. :)

• Haha 1

It wouldn't be that crazy for Mickey to stay on staff, and it wouldn't need to divide the locker room. Fickell

stayed on at tOSU after his interim year. Granted it was slightly different as he went back to being DC (a more active leadership role than a regular position coach). Mickey is a standup guy, and no matter the outcome he'll make it work and be all in. That's just who he is.

• TBH 1