Changes in recruiting?

As far as recruiting areas, Rhule will focus on Omaha, and other big cities within the "500 mile radius" for the bulk of each recruiting class, and then supplement players from Texas, East Coast, or other areas of emphasis/knowledge with his assistant coaching staff.

As others have stated, for skill players, he likes to bring in raw athletes who he can develop into football players, so those guys may be lower in the recruiting rankings.  He did a great job of developing d-linemen and linebackers at Baylor.

22 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Honest question.  How many starters for other P5 teams get stars from Omaha?  

Im in western SD and dont honestly know.

Many of these guys are from recent recruiting classes, so it's difficult to contribute right away.  But, here are the Omaha area players who have gone elsewhere in recent years.  These are from the 24-7 rankings.

2023 - Malachi Coleman is top ranked player in state and is from Lincoln and committed to NU.  Zane Flores is considered one of the best QB's in Nebraska High School history is from an Omaha suburb was never highly recruited by Frost.  Maverick Noonan (Danny's son) is from Omaha and committed to NU.  Kade McIntyre from Fremont is committed to Oklahoma.

2022 - Top 4 players in the state of Nebraska were from Omaha area, and they went to Oregon, Wyoming, Oklahoma, and Auburn. Gage Stenger (from Omaha) and Hausmann (Columbus) were 5 & 6 and went to NU.

2021 - The only two 4-stars in Nebraska were from Omaha, and one went to Oregon (Avante Dickerson) and the other went to Iowa (Keigan Johnson).  Prochazka, Koby Bretz, and AJ Rollins were Omaha area players who went to NU.

2020 - Top 4 players in Nebraska were from Omaha.  Zavier Betts went to NU and flamed out.  Xavier Watts is a starting DB at Notre Dame, Will Swanson is at K-State (not sure if he plays), Jay Ducker went to Northern Illinois and started early, and is now at Memphis.  Cole Payton from Omaha Westside is a QB now at NDSU, and will probably be their starting QB in the near future, and Haarberg was taken over Payton in the 2020 class.

2019 - Top 2 players in Nebraska were both from Omaha Burke and went to NU - Henrich and Hickman.  Garrett Snodgrass from York was #3 in the state and hasn't done much at NU, while Garrett Nelson was #4 and has been a solid, but not spectacular player for NU.

EDIT - For 2024, 5 of the top 6 players in Nebraska are from Omaha.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Many of these guys are from recent recruiting classes, so it's difficult to contribute right away.  But, here are the Omaha area players who have gone elsewhere in recent years.  These are from the 24-7 rankings.

2023 - Malachi Coleman is top ranked player in state and is from Lincoln and committed to NU.  Zane Flores is considered one of the best QB's in Nebraska High School history is from an Omaha suburb was never highly recruited by Frost.  Maverick Noonan (Danny's son) is from Omaha and committed to NU.  Kade McIntyre from Fremont is committed to Oklahoma.

2022 - Top 4 players in the state of Nebraska were from Omaha area, and they went to Oregon, Wyoming, Oklahoma, and Auburn. Gage Stenger (from Omaha) and Hausmann (Columbus) were 5 & 6 and went to NU.

2021 - The only two 4-stars in Nebraska were from Omaha, and one went to Oregon (Avante Dickerson) and the other went to Iowa (Keigan Johnson).  Prochazka, Koby Bretz, and AJ Rollins were Omaha area players who went to NU.

2020 - Top 4 players in Nebraska were from Omaha.  Zavier Betts went to NU and flamed out.  Xavier Watts is a starting DB at Notre Dame, Will Swanson is at K-State (not sure if he plays), Jay Ducker went to Northern Illinois and started early, and is now at Memphis.  Cole Payton from Omaha Westside is a QB now at NDSU, and will probably be their starting QB in the near future, and Haarberg was taken over Payton in the 2020 class.

2019 - Top 2 players in Nebraska were both from Omaha Burke and went to NU - Henrich and Hickman.  Garrett Snodgrass from York was #3 in the state and hasn't done much at NU, while Garrett Nelson was #4 and has been a solid, but not spectacular player for NU.

EDIT - For 2024, 5 of the top 6 players in Nebraska are from Omaha.

Don't shoot me for this.  If they don't produce I question if they are power 5 athletes.  D1, yes; power 5 no.   The problem with midwest kids is that they do not play football year round, so they are behind in development.  This why I say not as many p5 players out of HS, but good athletes to develop.

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I think it's quite possible we have somewhat underwhelming classes, in terms of stars, relative to the previous regime.  

Where we will see the biggest difference is in the development of these recruits.  IMO

That's just fine with me because it's been utter dogs#!t ever since Bo left.

IMO NU has a recruiting FLOOR of ~Top 30-35 classes anyway. If Rhule can actually develop talent he gets we're gonna be overshooting that eventually. Even Frost was capable of doing that, he just was complete a$$ at player development.

I wonder if there are any legs to the thought that Lloyd being one of the first offers immediately after the Rhule hiring indicates he was a guy Mickey was in on but didn't want to offer prior to the new coach taking over (and implying Mickey will be staying). Obviously Coleman seems onboard with Coach Rhule and he's 100% a Mickey guy.

5 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Don't shoot me for this.  If they don't produce I question if they are power 5 athletes.  D1, yes; power 5 no.   The problem with midwest kids is that they do not play football year round, so they are behind in development.  This why I say not as many p5 players out of HS, but good athletes to develop.

I agree with you on this.  Nebraska High Schools were behind the curve on 7 on 7 leagues, and many of the athletes I showed are multi-sport athletes, so they need to be developed into polished football players.  Development is where supposedly Rhule excels, so it could be a good combination going forward.

EDIT:  I also pointed out the 500-mile radius should be an emphasis, and not just Omaha (although it was the one city I pointed out).

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you on this.  Nebraska High Schools were behind the curve on 7 on 7 leagues, and many of the athletes I showed are multi-sport athletes, so they need to be developed into polished football players.  Development is where supposedly Rhule excels, so it could be a good combination going forward.

EDIT:  I also pointed out the 500-mile radius should be an emphasis, and not just Omaha (although it was the one city I pointed out).

Agree :cheers

• Plus1 1