Fickell to Wiscy?!

Call me crazy but I think Rhule is a better fit right now at Nebraska than Fickell would’ve been. The hot takes of Trev blowing it etc. are f#&%ing stupid. It takes two to tango. There are plenty of reasons that it made more sense for Fickell to go to Wiscy as opposed to here and none of them take into account what Nebraska needs. The gap between expectations and the existing program is much narrower at Wiscy than it is here. One could surmise that Fickell wanted an easier job. Pretty sure I’d rather have the guy that knows he has his work cutout for him and is prepared to put in that work. And we won’t know which program got the better deal for a few years so please stop the whining, crying and b!^@hing.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

55 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The voice of the Badgers said on the radio Friday morning that everyone assumed it is going to be Leonard. He said NO other name had even been mentioned strongly enough to be taken seriously. Said It was Leonard’s job to lose and that he had proven that he was the guy. I guess if you lose the Axe trophy, you are out.

• Plus1 1

First I think Rhule and Fickell were both in the top tier of candidates available.  I would have been pleased with either. Rhule is a builder and has NFL contacts. I like him in that regard as he makes Nebraska more of a national destination if he can rebuild us. Fickell strikes me as more of a regional guy but I always said he’d jump to the B1G.  

I wonder if we will ever get the backstory here. We could have been way down the process with Rhule and Fickell came late in the game? Or perhaps Fickell truly preferred Wisconsin over us and a team he fits better with and we always liked Rhule better. Fickell just got knocked out of his conference championship yesterday so would he have left if he was in that game?  And did our hire force Wisconsin to go match and go big?  Lots of things here to chew on but it will be a good rivalry we continue to have with the Badgers.  

3 hours ago, HANC said:

Why is this AUTOMATICALLY on Trev? You guys make me smh..so damn negative, and it is you guys who are the joke. Could it be Trev made a run at Fickell????? Could it be that Fickell wanted to be at Wiscy more than here.  No one knows, but easier to just point fingers and complain. And, wasn’t Fickell the HC when we came back on OSU when they collapsed in Lincoln.

Word was Fickell answered Trev's call with "Thanks, not interested".

Now that could be a case against Nebraska.  But, it could be that he was being groomed by Wisconsin after they fired PC.

Me personally, I think that when the ND job came calling to him after Kelley left for LSU, he didn't have the balls for the job and said no.  I don't think he has them for the Nebraska job.  At Wisconsin though...??? 

I mean, he wasn't going to consider an OSU job ever - IF the opportunity ever came up.  He had one shot and got axed for someone else (UM).  That's a difficult spot to be in.  But ultimately, I think Fickell needs a spot with less lights (including Nebraska).....  Wisconsin sounds like the better fit for him.  And Cincinnati is no longer a Cinderella Darling.  He needs to leave while he has clout.  Just my take on it 

49 minutes ago, admo said:

Word was Fickell answered Trev's call with "Thanks, not interested".

Now that could be a case against Nebraska.  But, it could be that he was being groomed by Wisconsin after they fired PC.

Me personally, I think that when the ND job came calling to him after Kelley left for LSU, he didn't have the balls for the job and said no.  I don't think he has them for the Nebraska job.  At Wisconsin though...??? 

I mean, he wasn't going to consider an OSU job ever - IF the opportunity ever came up.  He had one shot and got axed for someone else (UM).  That's a difficult spot to be in.  But ultimately, I think Fickell needs a spot with less lights (including Nebraska).....  Wisconsin sounds like the better fit for him.  And Cincinnati is no longer a Cinderella Darling.  He needs to leave while he has clout.  Just my take on it 

Have to be fair, even with NIL Notre Dame is a tough job to be competitive.  David Shaw said as much about Stanford when he stepped down yesterday.  

You are correct that Trev went after LF.  Rhule and LF were the two targets.  I don’t believe the LF hire occurred in one day. Rhule’s interview occured 6 weeks ago. Initial offer was declined, but he later came back and said he wanted the job. 

3 hours ago, 1HuskerDad said:

Interesting that Wisconsin fired Chryst not long after Nebraska fired Frost and then flip to Fickell after the hiring of Rhule.  It’s an arms race in the B10.  Wisconsin obviously views Nebraska as it’s benchmark in the West which is crazy considering what our record has been the last several years.  

I guarantee  you Wisconsin isn’t viewing us as it’s benchmark lol