Evan Cooper Hired as Defensive Backs Coach

Red Five

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I know it's because of concussions but teaching to put your head opposite the ball is going to lead to a lot of missed tackles as it has over the last few years 

I don't think it will cause you to miss more tackles.  It could allow for some more yards after contact, but attacking the back shoulder is more in line with the proper leverage you use when pursuing the ball carrier.  When you track the hip and have to slide you head across to the ball side can cause you to overshoot your target.  Just my opinion and how we work it.  

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I don't think it will cause you to miss more tackles.  It could allow for some more yards after contact, but attacking the back shoulder is more in line with the proper leverage you use when pursuing the ball carrier.  When you track the hip and have to slide you head across to the ball side can cause you to overshoot your target.  Just my opinion and how we work it.  

Eh.  I feel you automatically causing an "arm" tackle.  Maybe if you are coming more from the side this works but if it's a normal angle tackle it will cause your body's momentum to turn you.  This is where we see guys get swung around and end up missing the guy or like you said give up a few extra yards because they are being dragged.  Still in favor of getting your face mask on the ball.  

5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Eh.  I feel you automatically causing an "arm" tackle.  Maybe if you are coming more from the side this works but if it's a normal angle tackle it will cause your body's momentum to turn you.  This is where we see guys get swung around and end up missing the guy or like you said give up a few extra yards because they are being dragged.  Still in favor of getting your face mask on the ball.  

Yep.  Trading head injuries for shoulder injuries and missed tackles.  Which I can see if everything were equal.  But I don't think the likelihood of each is that similar.  Rare - more often than rare - frequent.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  Trading head injuries for shoulder injuries and missed tackles.  Which I can see if everything were equal.  But I don't think the likelihood of each is that similar.  Rare - more often than rare - frequent.

Head injuries tend to come more from the "put your face mask to face mask or breast plate" school of thought.  If you square up and put your face on the ball your head for the most part is out of the way and you have a chance to cause a fumble.  You also have more of your body in front of the ball carrier and if you can't wrap up the ball carrier is more like to trip over you.  

20 hours ago, admo said:

That's friggin sweet !  

Stupid question, is he coaching safeties too, or is there another coach for that group?  I just don't remember :dunno

Cooper is over-seeing the entire secondary, but he probably has help from a GA during practices. I listened to a recent podcast featuring Bill Busch, and Busch said that since safeties and CB’s do much different things on the field in games, it wouldn’t make sense for them to do the same drills. Busch also said that when he was a GA at Nebraska in the 90s, he would pair with George Darlington, and they would split up the secondary for drills. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 5:12 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Cooper is over-seeing the entire secondary, but he probably has help from a GA during practices. I listened to a recent podcast featuring Bill Busch, and Busch said that since safeties and CB’s do much different things on the field in games, it wouldn’t make sense for them to do the same drills. Busch also said that when he was a GA at Nebraska in the 90s, he would pair with George Darlington, and they would split up the secondary for drills. 

Thank you !  I knew you would know ! :cheers  And I was hoping there is dedication of coaches split between Corners and Safeties.

• Plus1 1

I totally agree with Rhule (paraphrasing) that he misses and wants Safeties to be 225 heavy hitters that can move towards linebackers.  

In other words, Safeties need to be strong and play physical.  

What we've seen over the years are Safeties running backwards on running plays (including short yardage downs), and eventually diving at a running back's ankles or shoes.  Turns a 10 yard play into a 40+ touchdown.  Or running parallel with RB for 20 yards before making a weak attempt. We need some toughness out of our Safeties.  It has sorely been lacking and the reason why Wisconsin and Iowa break long TD runs.. and other teams too.  It's bulls#!t.

• Plus1 2