Terrance Knighton Hired as Defensive Line Coach

Mavric

1 minute ago, theknife said:

Exactly that quote. This guy was a coaching assistant and was only promoted to assistant Dline coach after Rhule and some staff was let go. He could easily be a graduate assistant, analyst, etc as much as the d line coach. 

Which is what I said earlier.  And Callahan didn't counter anything.  

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Which is what I said earlier.  And Callahan didn't counter anything.  

No you said he was the Panthers Dline coach the past two years. Which he most definitely wasn’t even close to being. He’s been a general coaching assistant and an interim assistant Dline coach for a handful of game. He very much could be the Dline coach or he could not be. Callahan saying his position is unknown and you saying his position is known is counter to one another.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, theknife said:

No you said he was the Panthers Dline coach the past two years. Which he most definitely wasn’t even close to being. He’s been a general coaching assistant and an interim assistant Dline coach for a handful of game. He very much could be the Dline coach or he could not be. Callahan saying his position is unknown and you saying his position is known is counter to one another.

The information I saw didn't note that he hadn't been the actual assistant this year.  I appreciate the correction on that.

But I stated in my post above that we don't know what the title are going to be.  Which is what Callahan said.

13 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

It’s crazy how group think works. SF hires his UCF staff everybody grows to hate a criticizes. Rhule brings his guys and the kool aid is flowing. Idc who’s on what page it better work. Outside of super seniors we’ve been overdue for an identity upfront 

There's no kool aid here. They're gonna have to prove everything.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, caveman99 said:

That is what I am wondering as well. He could be thinking he won’t be retained long term at Carolina and sees the opportunity to lock up an analyst role at NU as a way to keep progressing as a coach and keep a paycheck. Either that or Rhule really liked what he saw from him so far and feels he will do a good job. Recruiting chops are my first concern of Knighton is indeed the choice for D-Line coach. 

I’m going to guess that he doesn’t end up being the D-Line coach. Some of these roles can’t be filled just yet while others can  help out initially. Getting a jump on everything now that Matt can and filling in as circumstances permit as courtesy to other coaches and their teams.

Why don't people realize this happens at every level of coaching?  My dad was a HS coach for 40+ years.  Each time he switch jobs he brought the some of the same assistants.  And he would hire guys who had played under him.  He hired me and a guy I played with in college.  You hire people you trust.  My college coach hired guys he played with and or coached with.  Man I wonder who Nick Saban hired when he first took the job at Alabama 

Edited by MyBloodIsRed16
Proof reading
  • Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’m going to guess that he doesn’t end up being the D-Line coach. Some of these roles can’t be filled just yet while others can  help out initially. Getting a jump on everything now that Matt can and filling in as circumstances permit as courtesy to other coaches and their teams.

Yeah, I thought his resume was a little light.  But the first list I saw indicated he'd been the DL coach in Carolina for a couple of years.  If it's only been a couple of months, that doesn't seem nearly as likely.

But I'm also not sure what he would come here to do.  Seems like he wants to be in coaching.  But those spots are obviously limited here.  And he might not need a lot of money but I wouldn't think being a GA would be what he's looking for.  Maybe he'd be in the S&C department as well?

Just now, Mavric said:

Yeah, I thought his resume was a little light.  But the first list I saw indicated he'd been the DL coach in Carolina for a couple of years.  If it's only been a couple of months, that doesn't seem nearly as likely.

But I'm also not sure what he would come here to do.  Seems like he wants to be in coaching.  But those spots are obviously limited here.  And he might not need a lot of money but I wouldn't think being a GA would be what he's looking for.  Maybe he'd be in the S&C department as well?

I mean there's room for him to be a full time coach, but I am curious as to what role he will have, I'd lean to the GA role.   Also, when will the NCAA vote on allowing unlimited coaches and scholarships?    Also, having Knighton, he's probably be really low on the pay scale to afford to give others (like MJ) more.

1--OC/QB

2--RB

3--WR

4--OL

5--TE

6--DL (Knighton)

7--LB

8--DB (Evan Cooper)

9--DC/

10-ST

So the DC can have his own position or help with DL to help Knighton who is clearly green in experience.  Or we can hire Elijah Robinson (or some other DL coach) to be a mentor and have an assistant and the DC can coach a different position group.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

It will be interesting seeing how Rhule structures his staff. Could their be shared roles for some groups? 

I think that it’s important to consider too that even with a substantial budget for assistants it might require some creativity to fit all the pieces together.

Just now, M.A. said:

It will be interesting seeing how Rhule structures his staff. Could their be shared roles for some groups? 

I think that it’s important to consider too that even with a substantial budget for assistants it might require some creativity to fit all the pieces together.

Yeah, depending on who the DC is that coach could either help with the DL or coach a different position group so we could have two DL coaches or a combo of Interior DL/Edge.

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Maybe Pot Roast just works with the Defensive Tackles and someone else with the Defensive Ends. I agree I don't think he will be the main D-line coach

• Fire 1