Terrance Knighton Hired as Defensive Line Coach

Mavric

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll be the first to ask why? The largest assistant pool possible and we get a HS football coach...Maybe strategic for the FL recruiting ties?  I am honestly under whelmed.  Possible I am completely missing something....Although Fisher did good moving from golf coach to receiver coach.

I agree that it is "underwhelming" at first glance and by titles held to this point.  Many successful HS coaches begin by being assistant coach, and he will be an assistant to one of the assistants.   My best guess is that Rhule is comfortable with him, and exactly what you said.  With his success at the HS level in Florida, one would expect him to have pretty deep ties with other coaches in the State.  I am a long time HS coach and it is amazing how coaches talk to one another about kids and colleges.  I am not up to date or as invested as many of you people, but with the assistants, we now have the East coast covered, the states of Florida and Texas represented, along with the midwest.  I do think there is some recruiting strategy at play here.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure why there is angst on this hire.  This guy is just going to be an analyst.  He's not on the full-time staff.  This enables Simpson to get his start in college coaching under his former coach.  He will provide great contacts to the high school coaches in Florida, and can potentially back fill for Terrance Knighton if Knighton ever decides to leave NU to go back to the NFL or another job.

I don't have angst over it and, like you, don't understand people who do.  However, I'm a little confused.  It says he is an assistant DL coach and recruiter.  An analyst wouldn't be out recruiting.  I originally assumed he is a GA.  But, I don't think they can recruit either.  And, if they are designated as a recruiter, doesn't that make it so a normal position coach can't recruit?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure why there is angst on this hire.  This guy is just going to be an analyst.  He's not on the full-time staff.  This enables Simpson to get his start in college coaching under his former coach.  He will provide great contacts to the high school coaches in Florida, and can potentially back fill for Terrance Knighton if Knighton ever decides to leave NU to go back to the NFL or another job.

Looks like he will be assisting and not "the" coach as well as being one of the lead recruiters.  Lived in SFL for a while.  Homestead is a rough spot for sure.  St Thomas is the complete opposite.  A very affluent school.  Looks like he did some great work there.  Just the B1G DL is a hard place to do OTJ training.  Especially with our lack of bodies and lack of success there.  I do like this quote from when he took over at Homestead.  Article was from Dec 9th when he announced he was leaving to come to NU and what his duties would be.  no idea how we missed this news....

“We had to eliminate the cancer,” Simpson said. “The more I dug in, the more bloodshed (players and coaches dismissed). But the only way to find the cure was to get to the root of the problem.”

https://amp.miamiherald.com/article269759337.html

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't have angst over it and, like you, don't understand people who do.  However, I'm a little confused.  It says he is an assistant DL coach and recruiter.  An analyst wouldn't be out recruiting.  I originally assumed he is a GA.  But, I don't think they can recruit either.  And, if they are designated as a recruiter, doesn't that make it so a normal position coach can't recruit?

Per article above he stated that he accepted a position with Nebraska as an assistant DL coach and recruiter.  Sounds like coach to me.  Also wonder if Rhule sees the DL as one of our biggest concerns so throwing an extra set of eyes on it.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll be the first to ask why? The largest assistant pool possible and we get a HS football coach...Maybe strategic for the FL recruiting ties?  I am honestly under whelmed.  Possible I am completely missing something....Although Fisher did good moving from golf coach to receiver coach.

HCMR hired a HS coach for a position at Baylor, and the guy is now the HC at Texas Tech. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_McGuire

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 7

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think there is just some semantics in play going on here, based on the Tweet where we are getting this name.  I could be wrong but this is my expectations on his role:

1)  Basically a GA/Analyst and not one of the 10 main assistant coaches.  He can assist Knighton during practices, but is limited on gamedays and other times during the week.  Again, many high school coaches go from the high school ranks to a GA/Analyst role in college if they want to go beyond high school coaching.  Plus, there are exceptions like Joey McGuire who went from high school in Texas, to Baylor, to now HC at Texas Tech.

2)  Him being called a "recruiter" means that he will work with high school coaches in Florida to get word about guys who may be under the radar, or not heavily recruited by SEC and ACC schools in the South.  This is just a guess here, but it's based on his high school coaching experience, and his contacts in the Florida area.

For those who are not understanding this hire, maybe let's all just wait until the official hire and announcement comes from NU before we get our panties in a wad (not saying you are freaking out BRB).

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
28 minutes ago, HANC said:

I agree that it is "underwhelming" at first glance and by titles held to this point.  Many successful HS coaches begin by being assistant coach, and he will be an assistant to one of the assistants.   My best guess is that Rhule is comfortable with him, and exactly what you said.  With his success at the HS level in Florida, one would expect him to have pretty deep ties with other coaches in the State.  I am a long time HS coach and it is amazing how coaches talk to one another about kids and colleges.  I am not up to date or as invested as many of you people, but with the assistants, we now have the East coast covered, the states of Florida and Texas represented, along with the midwest.  I do think there is some recruiting strategy at play here.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
27 minutes ago, GSG said:

Couldn't he just be listed as a recruiter temporarily until our staff is filled out? 

Great point.  He could be listed as one of the full-time staffers for the next few weeks so he can recruit in person, especially if we are waiting for the NFL season to end to fill in some vacant spots on the staff (QB & WR coaches, specifically).

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Great point.  He could be listed as one of the full-time staffers for the next few weeks so he can recruit in person, especially if we are waiting for the NFL season to end to fill in some vacant spots on the staff (QB & WR coaches, specifically).

I can't remember.  How long does it take to get a new coach cleared through the NCAA to be able to be a recruiter?  I believe they still have to go through a process to prove they know the rules ...etc.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I can't remember.  How long does it take to get a new coach cleared through the NCAA to be able to be a recruiter?  I believe they still have to go through a process to prove they know the rules ...etc.

I think Purdue did it with Brees. I don't think it's that long, maybe a couple days. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unless it has changed, you just take/pass a test.  i am guessing it is just all online now.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know if someone has answered your question yet, but I have no idea how the NCAA clearinghouse works.  I do think it's a fairly easy test which can be done quickly.

EDIT:  Looks like Teach beat me to the answer.

• Plus1 1