New Strength & Conditioning Staff

Mavric

HOL has some early reviews of Campbell's program vs Duval's

Duval all about heavy weight with low reps (never more than 5).  He LOVED back squats.  Very limited warm up/stretching.

Currently Campbell is focusing on minimal weight (I assume to get players used to form for coming winter conditioning) and more movement.  Also there is 10 minutes dynamic stretching before starting any lifting.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Duval all about heavy weight with low reps (never more than 5).  He LOVED back squats.  Very limited warm up/stretching.

Currently Campbell is focusing on minimal weight (I assume to get players used to form for coming winter conditioning) and more movement.  Also there is 10 minutes dynamic stretching before starting any lifting.

What's next? Puppy yoga? Perineum sunning? 

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have always said that strength wasn't the issue. Our linemen could probably lift as much weight as anyone else's line.  But, other issues were the problem.

• Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is such a lukewarm overview it’s hard to tell. I assume Duval had a much heavier squat day and another or two lower sessions devoted to explosiveness with much lower % of your 1RM. Seems he borrowed some material from the conjugate method. 

I assume Campbell is either doing that for form or rather could also be less training with very near 90-100% of your 1RM IE single, double, triples (like Duval) & more so wanting to training more explosive for speed work which requires a lot less weight. Speed is just as important as force to build or trying to convert to power. This seems to be more so the method a lot of S&C staff have done. I think if I remember they modeled a lot after the Indiana staff from a few years ago. 

you’re also not going to go into performance training with an RPE of 9/10 after guys haven’t done diddly squat. Mixing heavy weights with cardiovascular training is how you gets guys like at Iowa… Rhabdo. RPE of 5-7 and increasing this scale as you go about is more likely. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have always said that strength wasn't the issue. Our linemen could probably lift as much weight as anyone else's line.  But, other issues were the problem.

I agree with this.   They all looked like they had cement in their shoes with little athletic ability.  Plus the mental breakdowns on assignments were a killer.   Hopefully this new guy is incorporating movement strength training geared towards the sport the athletes are playing vs trying to just be lower lifters.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with this.   They all looked like they had cement in their shoes with little athletic ability.  Plus the mental breakdowns on assignments were a killer.   Hopefully this new guy is incorporating movement strength training geared towards the sport the athletes are playing vs trying to just be lower lifters.  

This is the part that would just blow my mind.  It was amazing how often a play would happen and one or two linemen would look like they had no clue who they were supposed to block.

Knowing who you are supposed to block and not being able to physically do it is one thing.  Not having a clue is totally another.  HOPEFULLY, with so many coaches on the offensive side with O line experience, this will get cleaned up.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the part that would just blow my mind.  It was amazing how often a play would happen and one or two linemen would look like they had no clue who they were supposed to block.

Knowing who you are supposed to block and not being able to physically do it is one thing.  Not having a clue is totally another.  HOPEFULLY, with so many coaches on the offensive side with O line experience, this will get cleaned up.

Buttttt we are keeping our OL coach whose job is to prepare the guys to KNOW who there are suppose to block.    It is one thing to have them prepared physically (S&C) and another on the knowledge side.  So, my concern is - will they improve knowledge wise wt the current OL coach.  Hopefullly (there is that word again) Rhule will be able to help Riola to coach up the OL. 

• Plus1 1