New Strength & Conditioning Staff

Mavric

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Buttttt we are keeping our OL coach whose job is to prepare the guys to KNOW who there are suppose to block.    It is one thing to have them prepared physically (S&C) and another on the knowledge side.  So, my concern is - will they improve knowledge wise wt the current OL coach.  Hopefullly (there is that word again) Rhule will be able to help Riola to coach up the OL. 

I've thought about that.  And, the only thing I can hope for is that the way practices were ran, didn't give linemen a chance to know what they were supposed to do.

Maybe this and strength and conditioning were things that Raiola talked to Rhule about and why it didn't work last year.  Maybe he had ideas on how to improve both areas that aligned with what Rhule wants.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe this and strength and conditioning were things that Raiola talked to Rhule about and why it didn't work last year.  Maybe he had ideas on how to improve both areas that aligned with what Rhule wants.

This has got to be the reason he was retained.  Of course Raiola only had one year with Frost and coming from the NFL he may have seen huge deficiencies in the program.  Judging by Frost's total lack of attention and particularly lack of attention to details, I could see this being the issue. Kind of hard being the new guy and insisting on wide scale changes in the S&C program and how the line blocks. Also- some of that could be on Whip as well.  If someone could write a book about the behind the curtain aspects of the Frost era, it would probably be an interesting read. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Buttttt we are keeping our OL coach whose job is to prepare the guys to KNOW who there are suppose to block.    It is one thing to have them prepared physically (S&C) and another on the knowledge side.  So, my concern is - will they improve knowledge wise wt the current OL coach.  Hopefullly (there is that word again) Rhule will be able to help Riola to coach up the OL. 

This was a problem the entire time Frost was the coach. I'm hoping it was more a Frost issue then Riola issue

3 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

This was a problem the entire time Frost was the coach. I'm hoping it was more a Frost issue then Riola issue

Do you think the scheme was too difficult - too complex??   I know there have been discussions about zone block verses what - man to man??   Is zone blocking all about blocking someone who enters your zone of responsibility??  I don't fully understand the concept.  If I understand it correctly, in the days of our Pipeline glory, we were all about putting a helmet on another and aggressively getting pancakes.  While zone has less of an emphasis in aggressiveness but on protecting your area of influence.

Is that correct or am I way off on this.  

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Do you think the scheme was too difficult - too complex??   I know there have been discussions about zone block verses what - man to man??   Is zone blocking all about blocking someone who enters your zone of responsibility??  I don't fully understand the concept.  If I understand it correctly, in the days of our Pipeline glory, we were all about putting a helmet on another and aggressively getting pancakes.  While zone has less of an emphasis in aggressiveness but on protecting your area of influence.

Is that correct or am I way off on this.  

I think zone blocking is a more difficult concept in some ways. Gap/down blocking with a pulling o-lineman is very easy to teach, and easy to get kids to be aggressive because they can be sure in what they are doing

2 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I think zone blocking is a more difficult concept in some ways. Gap/down blocking with a pulling o-lineman is very easy to teach, and easy to get kids to be aggressive because they can be sure in what they are doing

Is it just me, or did our offense with pulling linemen basically disappear this year?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I've thought about that.  And, the only thing I can hope for is that the way practices were ran, didn't give linemen a chance to know what they were supposed to do.

I still think this is a bigger problem than S&C or coaching.  We all heard the practices lacked physicality.  But all we really heard about was defense.

Imagine what it would be like to prepare with little contact and then take on Wisconsin or Iowa D-Line.  I think we’ve seen the results.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I still think this is a bigger problem than S&C or coaching.  We all heard the practices lacked physicality.  But all we really heard about was defense.

Imagine what it would be like to prepare with little contact and then take on Wisconsin or Iowa D-Line.  I think we’ve seen the results.

Did you watch out tackles?  They were slowwwwwww.  That's doing the right drills & strength training to make them quicker & more agile.  Also getting recruits who already have good footwork and want to be at Nebraska.

• Fire 1
On 12/9/2022 at 9:52 AM, TGHusker said:

This has got to be the reason he was retained.  Of course Raiola only had one year with Frost and coming from the NFL he may have seen huge deficiencies in the program.  Judging by Frost's total lack of attention and particularly lack of attention to details, I could see this being the issue. Kind of hard being the new guy and insisting on wide scale changes in the S&C program and how the line blocks. Also- some of that could be on Whip as well.  If someone could write a book about the behind the curtain aspects of the Frost era, it would probably be an interesting read. 

With respect to S&C different player positions need to be trained differently. Also each individual player's needs vary somewhat. Stretching and strengthening go together and training the whole body as a unit. Some will argue against stretching for building strength but that has to do with timing and the amount done and duration in relation to times. People recover somewhat differently. There's got to be some tailoring going on for each person. A lineman trains differently than a receiver, etc. Speed, power, agility and a number of things to consider. 

It's hard to say what has been going on or not going on. Perhaps the attention to detail wasn't what it needed to be. Strangely enough, one's breathing habits can play a significant role restricting playing at a higher level. Things being marginally different can have a considerable effect. I don't know...To me Scott appeared and acted tired much of the time. Lack of sleep and other possible considerations really does affect one's ability to function at a high level. It's a demanding profession. 

• Plus1 2