New Strength & Conditioning Staff

Mavric

26 minutes ago, M.A. said:

With respect to S&C different player positions need to be trained differently. Also each individual player's needs vary somewhat. Stretching and strengthening go together and training the whole body as a unit. Some will argue against stretching for building strength but that has to do with timing and the amount done and duration in relation to times. People recover somewhat differently. There's got to be some tailoring going on for each person. A lineman trains differently than a receiver, etc. Speed, power, agility and a number of things to consider. 

It's hard to say what has been going on or not going on. Perhaps the attention to detail wasn't what it needed to be. Strangely enough, one's breathing habits can play a significant role restricting playing at a higher level. Things being marginally different can have a considerable effect. I don't know...To me Scott appeared and acted tired much of the time. Lack of sleep and other possible considerations really does affect one's ability to function at a high level. It's a demanding profession. 

Indiana's old S&C staff that Saban stole to Bama a few years ago, designed individual plans for each athlete that focused specifically on identified "weaknesses".  As an example, they were actually able to get the players a measurable increase in their actual MPH top end speed...Saban saw this and they all came to Bama. (Top running speed increased on average 3 mph).  Articles below get into what they did.  Unsure if Duval did any of this.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/02/15/new-iu-athletic-performance-coaches-mix-cutting-edge-technology-familiar-lifts/336842002/

https://www.stack.com/a/how-a-unique-speed-training-program-changed-indiana-football/

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, lo country said:

Indiana's old S&C staff that Saban stole to Bama a few years ago, designed individual plans for each athlete that focused specifically on identified "weaknesses".  As an example, they were actually able to get the players a measurable increase in their actual MPH top end speed...Saban saw this and they all came to Bama. (Top running speed increased on average 3 mph).  Articles below get into what they did.  Unsure if Duval did any of this.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/02/15/new-iu-athletic-performance-coaches-mix-cutting-edge-technology-familiar-lifts/336842002/

https://www.stack.com/a/how-a-unique-speed-training-program-changed-indiana-football/

There's so much to consider. Dynamic exercises are great. Training has really evolved. Looks like Saban got a good one. 

1 minute ago, M.A. said:

There's so much to consider. Dynamic exercises are great. Training has really evolved. Looks like Saban got a good one. 

That's one thing you can say about Saban, he goes after anything or anyone that can give him an edge.  I often wonder if guys on the staff are always wondering if they will be let go for the next "big thing".  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Did you watch out tackles?  They were slowwwwwww.  That's doing the right drills & strength training to make them quicker & more agile.  Also getting recruits who already have good footwork and want to be at Nebraska.

The relationships with the hip and the knee, knee and the ankle and ankle with feet all carry great relevance. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, lo country said:

That's one thing you can say about Saban, he goes after anything or anyone that can give him an edge.  I often wonder if guys on the staff are always wondering if they will be let go for the next "big thing".  

His strength has been that he's always adapting. How much of a turnover does he have I don't know. Adjusting and adapting is the name of the game. Gotta seek out every advantage. 

• TBH 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 3:33 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I got to thinking about something last night specifically to the O line.  There has been a lot of talk on here about how our problems have been largely due to strength and conditioning making our linemen less flexible and mobile.  

So, my question is, how much input does an O line coach have with what type of body he wants on his O line?  I would think this would be a bigger factor with linemen than almost anywhere else.  Sure, a coach can teach technique and needs to teach the scheme and them playing as a unit.  But, I could see a large part of the success is having O linemen built in the weight room the way the O line coach wants.

So, is that determined by the O line coach?  Or, does he just have to accept what the S&C program gives him?

I got to thinking about Bill Callahan with this.  I was thinking about how I would fully accept him with open arms as our O line coach.  But, if that were to happen, would he (or whomever is hired) have the freedom and responsibility to build the O linemen how THEY want them built?

Agile, mobile, and hostile.

• Plus1 1

Every time we have a coaching change we get all excited about how the new s&c staff is going to fix whatever it is about the old staff we didn’t like that lead to us losing.

I’m all about chugging the Kool-Aid but I won’t be chugging any strength and conditioning kool-aid… At least not until after the season starts.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

15 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Every time we have a coaching change we get all excited about how the new s&c staff is going to fix whatever it is about the old staff we didn’t like the lead to us losing.

I’m all about chugging the Kool-Aid but I won’t be chugging any strength and conditioning kool-aid… At least not until after the season starts.

Well our S&C coach knows how to get there, just go ask him and look at him.  What I'd like to see is what changes he has made to taking over and running his own program.  He has all the resources to make us better just don't think Zach Duvall utilized it to his advantage.  When I think of ZD he was more old school.

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well our S&C coach knows how to get there, just go ask him and look at him.  What I'd like to see is what changes he has made to taking over and running his own program.  He has all the resources to make us better just don't think Zach Duvall utilized it to his advantage.  When I think of ZD he was more old school.

What specifically makes you think Duval was 'old school'?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, macroboy said:

Every time we have a coaching change we get all excited about how the new s&c staff is going to fix whatever it is about the old staff we didn’t like the lead to us losing.

Can't have amazing results without chugging yummy steroids !!!   

Ahgahhlahhhlaaaa...... lomnm

The Ultimate Guide To Dealing With A Sunburn