Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

2 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

South Carolina fans saying that he didn't call plays the last 2 games.  Message board rumors 

From the link at the top of the last page:

South Carolina head coach Shane Beamer strongly shot down rumors and online theories that offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield did not call plays during Gamecock football’s 63-point performance on Saturday against Tennessee.

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” Beamer said during his Sunday teleconference. “He put the game plan together along with the rest of the offensive staff and he called every single play last night.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Must be a decent recruiter.  He got a 4* QB commit last year and has another one this year.  

Mickey Joseph taught us that part of the new college football landscape is that you might drag along a recruit or two when you change teams as a coach (Trey Palmer, for anybody in a coma). Wonder if Satterfield will bring anyone interesting with him?

4 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

South Carolina fans saying that he didn't call plays the last 2 games.  Message board rumors 

Shocking that fans would spread rumors.

But, as posted above, the head coach said he was calling plays.  And the Rivals guy covering South Carolina said "For the second straight week, it was clear that OC Marcus Satterfield was down there, headset on, calling in the plays, but it sure seems like he's been possessed by an offensive guru over the last two weeks at various times. This week's output wasn't quite as dominant as last week, but Clemson's defense is also a lot better than Tennessee's."

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am hopeful that Satterfield will be the long-term answer but in looking at some of the data points, I am not 100% sold yet.  And that is ok for us to have differing views on a new assistant's history.  I have not done a great deal of in depth research on each offense he led to extrapolate how that might translate at Nebraska.

I do think Joseph and Applewhite who were not Frost's buddies worked out pretty well for us this year.  Pelini choosing Keith Williams was another situation where he looked for one of the best WR/Recruiting coaches in the country.  

I have no issue being skeptical.  I'd like to have seen more production and consistancy.

But I think it's an exaggeration to say he doesn't have much experience.  How many years qualify a decent experience?

Joseph might not have been a close fried but they were both Nebraska QBs so I'm not sure that's quite the same.  And I did reference coordinators in my post.  I think Frost's hand was forced to some extent, something along the lines of "you can come back but there needs to be significant changes."  And we might have liked those guys but the offense still got worse.

Keith Williams is the most over-hyped hire we've ever had here.  And he wasn't a Pelini hire.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Gamecock fan here...just dropped in to see how Nebraska fans are feeling about the hire, since it was rather unexpected for us.  I am personally conflicted.  If you asked me 3 weeks ago, I'd have packed his bags for you.  But then you have the last games of our season.  

To put it mildly, our offense was trash for the first 10 games this season.  Then, out of nowhere, it was unbelievably potent in the game against Tennessee and looked very good against Clemson.  Beamer was adamant after the UT game that Satt was calling plays.  Some fans are skeptical because our offense in the last 2 games bore little resemblance to our offense in the first 10 games.  If it was Satt calling plays, it begs the question, why did he wait 11 games to try something different?  

If it was indeed Satt calling plays the last 2 games, most fans were ok with him coming back to have another go round with Rattler.  At this point, most on our side are ok with him moving on and see it as a chance for us to upgrade.

Will be interesting to see how it works out long-term for both sides.  As an outsider, I'm surprised Rhule didn't make a move for someone more established/dynamic as an OC, but he knows Satt better than any of us.

It was just such a strange situation for our offense to go from 23 games of mostly forgettable offensive performances under Satt to a historic offensive performance in the final 2 games.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, 18istheman said:

Gamecock fan here...just dropped in to see how Nebraska fans are feeling about the hire, since it was rather unexpected for us.  I am personally conflicted.  If you asked me 3 weeks ago, I'd have packed his bags for you.  But then you have the last games of our season.  

To put it mildly, our offense was trash for the first 10 games this season.  Then, out of nowhere, it was unbelievably potent in the game against Tennessee and looked very good against Clemson.  Beamer was adamant after the UT game that Satt was calling plays.  Some fans are skeptical because our offense in the last 2 games bore little resemblance to our offense in the first 10 games.  If it was Satt calling plays, it begs the question, why did he wait 11 games to try something different?  

If it was indeed Satt calling plays the last 2 games, most fans were ok with him coming back to have another go round with Rattler.  At this point, most on our side are ok with him moving on and see it as a chance for us to upgrade.

Will be interesting to see how it works out long-term for both sides.  As an outsider, I'm surprised Rhule didn't make a move for someone more established/dynamic as an OC, but he knows Satt better than any of us.

It was just such a strange situation for our offense to go from 23 games of mostly forgettable offensive performances under Satt to a historic offensive performance in the final 2 games.

Thanks.  Maybe it's because Satt knew he was getting the hell outta there and couldn't wait to be on Rhule's staff.  Got excited. No offense to South Carolina, although there might be some truth to that.