Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

What needs to happen is that Ruhle needs to develop the offense and defense and hire O and D Coordinators to execute his vision and not their vision. I am convinced that's what Saban does. He sets the strategy, and the coordinators follow it. 

If Satterfield is someone that Ruhle can trust to execute Ruhle's vision, then I've got less of a problem with this.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

What needs to happen is that Ruhle needs to develop the offense and defense and hire O and D Coordinators to execute his vision and not their vision. I am convinced that's what Saban does. He sets the strategy, and the coordinators follow it. 

If Satterfield is someone that Ruhle can trust to execute Ruhle's vision, then I've got less of a problem with this.

He is, they get along and they have worked together previously.  Satt might be getting flak from S.Carolina fans, but he was very likely thrilled to death to be working again with Rhule.  It's like being with fam.  

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

the how to throw a perfect pass featuring TM was deleted from Youtube last I checked.  made me sad because that video was hilarious

Never did see that but I remember Tunnel walk of shame having some funny stuff about him. I always liked Taylor though and thought he was a pretty good QB.

41 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Never did see that but I remember Tunnel walk of shame having some funny stuff about him. I always liked Taylor though and thought he was a pretty good QB.

Well he did win B1G Offensive Player of the year, so yeah, I would say he was pretty good.

• TBH 1

Thought I'd hit up some Gamecock boards and see how they felt about Satterfield. Some mixed feelings after how strong they finished this year, but the majority seem glad he's gone. Some choice bites...

If you're a Nebraska fan reading this... I'll be as honest and fair as I can:

- Our game plans offensively were totally hit or miss. Very often they didn't make any sense. Every once and awhile they were great. Everything seemed too complicated.

- Play calling often felt very disjointed. No real feeling that we were ever running anything to set up anything else.

- We struggled to run the ball in his tenure. There were outlier games, but in general, we had a very difficult time on the ground.

- Multiple examples of games where he just failed to get the ball in our best players hands.

- Several examples of crazy, almost out of nowhere, great showings on offense, but I would say something like 17 of our 25 games he was OC our offense was somewhere between mediocre to atrocious.

- Persisting rumors throughout his tenure that he was disliked by other staff members and players.

- Called great games against UNC last year and the final two games of this season.

- Surprisingly solid QB recruiter from what we've seen. Was evidently instrumental in getting Rattler.

Overall... yeah, we're happy to see him go. The last two games were awesome, but there's a mountain of evidence to suggest they were anomalies. Good luck to you guys, I have no beef with Nebraska.

Basically we know that last year Satt put together a unique blended offense with spread concepts and pro concepts. The spread concepts are the power runs and the pro concept are the passing route trees from under center. Beamer alluded to the fact on the 107.5 interview that with everybody running a version of the spread-he appreciates that his offense is different and teams have to prepare for something that is unique.

I was hired this season to be a statistician for a HS football team. I have learned so much more about football because now I see so much more when I watch a play.

Most people do not understand how to read a play. All they see is the results.

The plays last night were almost identical to the plays at Florida. The difference was the players finally executing like Satterfield has been wanting all year. They were the same formations, the same receiver routes, the same OL cuts. You saw results because they executed. They did what Satterfield said they could do. The receivers juked a little better, the OL actually stayed where they were supposed to, Rattler actually trusted the pocket and the receivers and threw the ball down field. They played like an NFL team and stuck it to UT.

Satt has been talking about what he knew they could do all year. I am so glad they finally DID it.

One of the insiders posted today that, following the Florida loss, Beamer ordered several changes in offensive procedure: while the plays were the same, we drastically cut down the number of them. Also, we abandoned the multiple personnel groupings and adjusted play calls to the players who were on the field, and Rattler had fewer checks to make. In short, we put our playmakers on the field and let them go make plays.

This is why Satt was a major problem that he didn't realize this himself. Why have all these complex groupings and alignments and whatnot with our best players on the sidelines half the time. Put friggin Vann, Bell, Wells, Adkins on the frigging field at the same frigging time. Rock science.

He has a platonic ideal of his offense and it's good, but he doesn't bend it to fit the team he has or the team he's playing. When we started leaving our best players in instead of fitting players to the play he idealized we started winning.

It’s common knowledge that he didn’t get along well with some of the other assistants. Stepp, for one. Remember when it was reported that Satt was pressured to apologize in a staff meeting?

And look at Satt on the sidelines during games. There is literally no good vibes, no interaction with other assistants or players other than speaking to his QB now and then. He was an island unto himself.

The problem is as much execution as play calling. I know someone close to the program who just told me to go back and watch the Missouri again. The problem in that game is that we lost Lloyd who is a good pass blocker And MZ has a very good pass rush. We didn’t max protect like we did against TN and Rattler was running for his life all game. Fault Satterfield for not max protecting earlier but he didn’t until later in the game. We didn’t attack the perimeter because we thought we had Lloyd for the game. They didn’t realize how hurt he was until it was too late. Against TN, we used Adkins and Stogner as an extra blocker and often ran with just 2 or 3 receivers. Rattler had time and was wickedly in the zone with his accuracy. TN ran blitzes but they were more delayed blitzes and easy to pick up. Rattler finally got the pass out of his hand quickly and never had to worry about the rush.

I don't think I've ever heard an offensive coordinator at south Carolina admit to questioning his own play-calling- even after the big win Saturday night as Satterfield does. He just doesn't try to cover it up. Even after such success Saturday night he's talking about calls he wishes he could do over again.

He readily admits where he made mistakes and doesn't just offer up hard to believe coach-speak platitudes.

For me, he's easy to like because he just admits where they went wrong so easily. Very refreshing and honest.

This one from a staffer @ 247:

As he's departed, a smattering of small things came to mind.

-It's nice when a guy gets to leave for something that both makes sense and doesn't cast a bad light on anyone. Vibes-wise, it just wasn't great here, and he wasn't gonna coach out of it, short of putting up this year's Tennessee numbers for a whole season.

-Year 1, he was dealt a bad hand, but the production didn't show much improvement on that bad hand.

-Year 2's hot finish in some ways made the proceeding 10 weeks look worse. The pieces were there for a pretty good pass offense. The fact it couldn't come together faster is an issue in the portal era.

-I only interacted with him once or twice, but found him pretty personable. I also knew a couple folks who interacted with him more and also found him that way.

-I also respect that by multiple accounts, he was at loggerheads with a couple other assistants, and that’s just an issue.

-I know many didn’t like his pressers, but having been through a ton of those, his were relatively good.

-I do think referencing wanting to run 65 plays and run for 250 yards was not good PR. It’s fine if you want to do it, but putting it out on front street with aggregated fans won’t help matters. Shoot, I went to Wisconsin and would look a bit sideways at a comment like that.

-I also think it's fair to say the anger ramped from 0-60 relatively quickly. He was fitted for a dunce cap after Game 2. By Game 8, people were ready to spit on his shoes and light his car on fire. I understand the anger, it's football and OCs after all, but the depth and life it took on was something.

That's most of what I got. I suppose most OCs at this level have to give fans something to feel good about across the first season and a half. With the vibes as they were, a divorce was best for all. Wish him well on the next stop, and now the Gamecocks have an interesting decision to make.

That comment about running the ball feels uncomfortably close to what we heard from Riley - what was said about wanting to run it clearly did not match what happened on the field. And the comment about trying to mix pro-style passing with power running and some spread elements made me think back to Shawn Watson, although that's probably over-simplistic.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, Toe said:

Thought I'd hit up some Gamecock boards and see how they felt about Satterfield. Some mixed feelings after how strong they finished this year, but the majority seem glad he's gone. Some choice bites...

That comment about running the ball feels uncomfortably close to what we heard from Riley - what was said about wanting to run it clearly did not match what happened on the field. And the comment about trying to mix pro-style passing with power running and some spread elements made me think back to Shawn Watson, although that's probably over-simplistic.

Sounds like our O the past "X" years TBH.  I am counting on Rhules experience, his staff and vision to accomplish what he wants.  Saw a video where a guy thinks that with the B1G, Rhule will run more what he ran at Temple.  2 back sets, FB, mutlitple TE's....Showed SC running a 3 TE set where one of the TE's was in the backfield.  Should be interesting...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

I'm not overly impressed with Satt, seems like another Shawn Watson type. 

• Plus1 2