Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sounds promising so far !  Still got winter conditioning, Spring ball, Summer workouts, and Fall to go........ but.... this is encouraging!

“When you turn the tape on with Jeff Sims, you see a guy who’s got an elite throwing motion; unbelievable wrist,” Satterfield said. “He was under duress a lot this past year, and he kind of got beat up a little bit… I just love the kid. I think what he brings to an offense is, when I met with him, just his football brain and knowledge. 

When Satterfield and Sims first met during the recruiting process earlier this month, they bonded immediately.

“We had such a connection because of the football – like, he is a football junkie,” Satterfield said. “Him talking football with me, right off the bat, I knew that we had a chance because you match that athletic ability, arm talent, and that football knowledge, competitiveness, and the young man he is, I think we have a good player.”

3 hours ago, admo said:

"I think what he brings to an offense is, when I met with him, just his football brain and knowledge. "

Maybe Jeff Sims can call the plays. (I kid...I think).

I do love this talk of being a 'positionless' team from Rhule, Satterfield, and White. I haven't posted a lot during the Frost era, but if you go back over the years prior I talked a lot about that stuff, especially on defense. When Rhule talks about putting a modern look on old ideas, this is what I envision.

One great example that came to my mind while listening to Satterfield was a play the KC Chiefs ran earlier this year. I apologize for not remembering the game, but the set was 2x2 single back, but the back was Mecole Hardman, a very fast WR. The two 'receivers' towards the boundary were tight ends. The play was a simple throw to the boundary flat to Hardman, who beat the Safety for an easy score.

What makes that play interesting is by alignment you're getting Hardman vs a MLB. That's already a big advantage, but then you put two tight ends as your 'recievers' to just be big bodies getting in the way.

Hopefully, on both sides of the ball, we see this sort of creativity. When teams want to hide that 5'8" CB in the slot, I want them thinking "Ooh, we just recruited a 6'4" RB".:D

4 hours ago, admo said:

Sounds promising so far !  Still got winter conditioning, Spring ball, Summer workouts, and Fall to go........ but.... this is encouraging!

“When you turn the tape on with Jeff Sims, you see a guy who’s got an elite throwing motion; unbelievable wrist,” Satterfield said. “He was under duress a lot this past year, and he kind of got beat up a little bit… I just love the kid. I think what he brings to an offense is, when I met with him, just his football brain and knowledge. 

When Satterfield and Sims first met during the recruiting process earlier this month, they bonded immediately.

“We had such a connection because of the football – like, he is a football junkie,” Satterfield said. “Him talking football with me, right off the bat, I knew that we had a chance because you match that athletic ability, arm talent, and that football knowledge, competitiveness, and the young man he is, I think we have a good player.”

We will see how it pans out, but the GA Tech fans being glad he's gone feels just like folks around here being glad Adrian was leaving when everyone really should have just been pissed at Frost for overall failure. I wonder every offseason just how many really good players are wasted and or ruined by incompetent coaching.  Also how many are made by the opposite, through being put in positions to suceed.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, runningblind said:

We will see how it pans out, but the GA Tech fans being glad he's gone feels just like folks around here being glad Adrian was leaving when everyone really should have just been pissed at Frost for overall failure. I wonder every offseason just how many really good players are wasted and or ruined by incompetent coaching.  Also how many are made by the opposite, through being put in positions to suceed.

Baker Mayfield's stint so far in the NFL is a solid example.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...