Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand that this isn't going to be what Husker fans are used to as far as fullback. But, I would think you still need that guy that can just bull someone over when needed. Hickman never has seemed like that kind of guy to me.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I don't see Hickman in that role either.

I would guess one of the walk-on RBs, but none of them are particularly big.  Among the TEs, I could see Boerkircher in that role.  Possibly Brodie Tagaloa or John Goodwin as well.

Fair enough, I am probably in the minority here. I'm thinking Hickman as more of a blocker though, I don't think we have a short yardage fit on the roster and I'm not expecting the FB/H-Back to get the short yardage work this year. Hickman isn't a ball carrier, but not sure any of the TEs are - none of them are anything close to a guy like Jaheim Bell from South Carolina. 

McKewon pointed out Appleget and Snodgrass played both sides in high school, and they at least have the body type. But I don't think any of these guys are game changers, unless we pull someone from the portal it's just going to be someone who can do the job for this year. Ervin is probably the short yardage back and any of those TEs can block well enough to lead for him. 

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fair enough, I am probably in the minority here. I'm thinking Hickman as more of a blocker though, I don't think we have a short yardage fit on the roster and I'm not expecting the FB/H-Back to get the short yardage work this year. Hickman isn't a ball carrier, but not sure any of the TEs are - none of them are anything close to a guy like Jaheim Bell from South Carolina. 

McKewon pointed out Appleget and Snodgrass played both sides in high school, and they at least have the body type. But I don't think any of these guys are game changers, unless we pull someone from the portal it's just going to be someone who can do the job for this year. Ervin is probably the short yardage back and any of those TEs can block well enough to lead for him. 

Brewington probably would have done decent in this position.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

“I’m not sure how much true I-formation stuff they’re gonna run; I know Coach Satterfield has talked about having a fullback. I think some people are expecting some I-formation power all the time. I don't know if it'll necessarily be that,” Kaelin said. “Where they kind of laid it out, especially Coach Satterfield when I was up there in January, we watched some film where he was showing me they're gonna run a lot of similar stuff to what they did at South Carolina with Spencer Rattler. That kind of fits my playing style. He's a pro-style quarterback, he's not gonna kill you with his legs, but he’s obviously a good athlete.

“So I think as far as the fit, I think it'll fit me really well. They're gonna do a lot of play-action stuff, which I really like. So I’m really excited for the offense they're gonna be running. I feel like it'll be a great fit for me and my play style.”

Rivals

That's pretty much what I expected from Satterfield. He won't say it publicly or anything, but I don't think Sims is really the kind of QB that Satterfield wants. More like Sims was the best they could get in the portal, so for now they're building the offense around him. In the long-term, we'll be focused on pro-style QBs.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

That's pretty much what I expected from Satterfield. He won't say it publicly or anything, but I don't think Sims is really the kind of QB that Satterfield wants. More like Sims was the best they could get in the portal, so for now they're building the offense around him. In the long-term, we'll be focused on pro-style QBs.

I mean ... there is a lot of leeway in "pro-style" anymore.  And people can always change their minds about what they want to do.

But he was the OC for Rhule at Temple for three years.  During those three years, their QB was their third-leading rusher (332 yards), second-leading rusher (324 yards) and second-leading rusher (207 yards). 

He wasn't the OC at Baylor but while Rhule was there their QB was their fourth-leading rusher (375 yards) and third-leading rusher (344 yards).  

He hasn't used the QB run game as much the last two years at South Carolina but that could also be Beamer's decision.

So I don't think we'll see guys running like the Martinez boys did.  But I think Rhule has said he likes to have the QB run game a part of the offense so I think there will be a decent chunk of that.

Edited by Mavric
Corrected

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But he was the OC for Rhule at Baylor for three years.  During those three years, their QB was their third-leading rusher (332 yards), second-leading rusher (324 yards) and second-leading rusher (207 yards). 

He wasn't the OC at Baylor but while Rhule was there their QB was their fourth-leading rusher (375 yards) and third-leading rusher (344 yards).  

Wat?

• Thanks 1

It's an interesting theory that Sims wasn't the kind of QB they wanted. It seems like the minute he got to Lincoln, he was kind of "the guy." And that seems to be why Thompson transferred.

Now it could be that what they really wanted out of Sims was a just a bigger, stronger, more durable guy. But I suspect that Satterfield does actually want RPO's to be a part of what he does, with or without Rhule's directives in that department.

But to make it work with Sims he's going to have to consistently hit open guys in the passing game, otherwise what'll happen is every single opponent bringing at minimum a constant soft blitz and making us one-dimensional. That's my fear, although that fear has diminished quite a bit after I watched the spring game.

Frost couldn't get the running back base run game going with this offensive line. Can Rhule?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I also assume that some or all of the tight ends will be cross trained as fullbacks for the small amount of 'I' formation stuff we do? Also wonder if we'll be setting them in the pistol and things like that as well for run blocking.

Probably looking for "H" back type players that can be motioned in and out of FB, in-line TE, and motion counter type alignments. Not sure how that lines up with the talent/size of high caliber TE's we brought in under Frost. I "feel" like we have more receiving threat/oversized WR body types at the moment.

• Plus1 1