Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

Here is more about Satterfield's career.  He does not have a great deal of OC experience so that is concerning. Also, he served as a head coach at Tennessee Tech and went 6-16 in his time there and was fired after his 2nd season.  I am fearful that Rhule is just bringing in buddies and not the best staff candidates in the nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Satterfield

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is more about Satterfield's career.  He does not have a great deal of OC experience so that is concerning. Also, he served as a head coach at Tennessee Tech and went 6-16 in his time there and was fired after his 2nd season.  I am fearful that Rhule is just bringing in buddies and not the best staff candidates in the nation.

Boy, this post is recycled every single coaching cycle huh? Every coach hires assistant coaches that are 1) in his opinion a great coach 2) Has some understanding of the system the new coach wants to run and 3) someone they feel they can trust. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I mean ... as far as experience goes, he's been an OC for 11 seasons (plus passing game coordinator for another).  That seems like pretty good experience to me.

Obviously his head coaching experience didn't go well but it was his work as an OC that apparently got him the job in the first place which isn't bad.

He didn't exactly light the world on fire at South Carolina.  But they were #96 in total offense the year before he got there and #95 the year before that so they were pretty much starting from the bottom.  At least has them moving in the right direction.

People really need to get over the "bringing his buddies" hang up.  That's literally what happens 90% of the time in college football, especially on an extremely short window of time.  And the other 10% is mostly friend-of-a-friend.  People bring in people they know they can work with and know what they do.  That's just how it is.

The last two coordinators that we brought in that weren't "buddies" were Mark Whipple and Bob Diaco.  How did that work out for us?

• TBH 3

I had forgotten that they were starting a GA at QB for several games last year.  Literally a guy who hadn't been practicing, just had eligibility left.  Their QB situation was a complete mess.  So that could not have been helpful in developing guys to play.

Not a great season this year.  But still South Carolina's best offense in the last four years - since they had Deebo Samuel to throw to.  And their second-best in the last eight.  Just a tough place to accomplish a lot.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... as far as experience goes, he's been an OC for 11 seasons (plus passing game coordinator for another).  That seems like pretty good experience to me.

Obviously his head coaching experience didn't go well but it was his work as an OC that apparently got him the job in the first place which isn't bad.

He didn't exactly light the world on fire at South Carolina.  But they were #96 in total offense the year before he got there and #95 the year before that so they were pretty much starting from the bottom.  At least has them moving in the right direction.

People really need to get over the "bringing his buddies" hang up.  That's literally what happens 90% of the time in college football, especially on an extremely short window of time.  And the other 10% is mostly friend-of-a-friend.  People bring in people they know they can work with and know what they do.  That's just how it is.

The last two coordinators that we brought in that weren't "buddies" were Mark Whipple and Bob Diaco.  How did that work out for us?

I am hopeful that Satterfield will be the long-term answer but in looking at some of the data points, I am not 100% sold yet.  And that is ok for us to have differing views on a new assistant's history.  I have not done a great deal of in depth research on each offense he led to extrapolate how that might translate at Nebraska.

I do think Joseph and Applewhite who were not Frost's buddies worked out pretty well for us this year.  Pelini choosing Keith Williams was another situation where he looked for one of the best WR/Recruiting coaches in the country.  

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am hopeful that Satterfield will be the long-term answer but in looking at some of the data points, I am not 100% sold yet.  And that is ok for us to have differing views on a new assistant's history.  I have not done a great deal of in depth research on each offense he led to extrapolate how that might translate at Nebraska.

I do think Joseph and Applewhite who were not Frost's buddies worked out pretty well for us this year.  Pelini choosing Keith Williams was another situation where he looked for one of the best WR/Recruiting coaches in the country.  

That was nice of bo to hire Riley a wr coach. Wonder why bo hired a golf pro for his staff.....

• Haha 1