Matt Rhule Introductory Presser

Mavric

1 hour ago, admo said:

I've had the luxury of watching a ton of Baylor games when he was the head coach, and I was always very impressed.  Was pissed the NFL was calling him and he took a flyer.  We got ourselves a good one.  Knew he'd be a great hire and fit, but I didn't think it would happen.

Ya, those contract hangups with 70million over 18 months to the 3rd power times infinity squared almost ruined everything.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:21 PM, chamrocck said:

Here is what is going to happen. A new HC will be announced and during his press conference will say something to the effect of “MJ has done a great job to keep the kids together in a trying time. I am ecstatic to have him on my staff as he is critical to the success of the program going forward”. Bank it.

I didn't end up hearing this particular quote at the presser today. ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gorp512 said:

What other jobs was he offered?? 

It also sounds like there is some understandable bitterness there

Why would any bitterness be understandable? Mickey had an opportunity, albeit not an extremely fair one, and his results weren’t enough to earn the job. I don’t think he should be bitter at all. I would understand if he doesn’t want to stick around but bitter? Nah, unless he’s being unreasonable about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I didn't end up hearing this particular quote at the presser today. ;)

Yep, I was a bit surprised but you can tell we want to keep MJ. I think MJ’s agent is working overtime but what other jobs are as good and will his recruits want to play at Tulsa? Ultimately I think it comes down to if MJ wants to be here or not. Rhule seems like a builder and great coach to assemble a staff. Seems way more likable than Brian Kelly.  I think we have likely put out a great offer for MJ. But I completely understand how MJ would want to explore options and he has earned that right. We will do right by him for sure and I would think he’d respect that. But there is a lot of momentum now with this team going forward. Not sure why he’d not want to continue going forward unless he has something too good to pass up?

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yep, I was a bit surprised but you can tell we want to keep MJ. I think MJ’s agent is working overtime but what other jobs are as good and will his recruits want to play at Tulsa? Ultimately I think it comes down to if MJ wants to be here or not. Rhule seems like a builder and great coach to assemble a staff. Seems way more likable than Brian Kelly.  I think we have likely put out a great offer for MJ. But I completely understand how MJ would want to explore options and he has earned that right. We will do right by him for sure and I would think he’d respect that. But there is a lot of momentum now with this team going forward. Not sure why he’d not want to continue going forward unless he has something too good to pass up?

Plus, working with Rhule seems like a great opportunity for being mentored into ALL the aspects that being a Head Coach entails. Not only burnishes his resume, But keeps his name publicly around for a possible succession....

13 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

It is a weird position to be in.  It can be really hard to take the step back down.   Obvious differences but a similar story... I was an interim manager for 6 months at a large business.  When a permanent manager was finally hired,  I had a great offer to stay including a promotion.  I took it but honestly hated not being the guy so I moved on as quickly as I could.  I never regretted leaving and was a better person for it.  MJ now knows he can lead at the highest level... I'm guessing he tries to find a spot that will let him.   

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Why would any bitterness be understandable? Mickey had an opportunity, albeit not an extremely fair one, and his results weren’t enough to earn the job. I don’t think he should be bitter at all. I would understand if he doesn’t want to stick around but bitter? Nah, unless he’s being unreasonable about it.

He kept saying he hadn't talked to Trev about it.  Perhaps he didn't think he really got an interview.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

BRING A BOJANGLES TO NEBRASKA MATT!

Oh naw. Bojangles chicken biscuits are dry AF. If you have a chance to get a chain from that part of the country and you don't take Cookout, you screwed up big time.