Matt Rhule Introductory Presser

Mavric

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He kept saying he hadn't talked to Trev about it.  Perhaps he didn't think he really got an interview.

This is going to sound incredibly harsh.

Mickey didn't get called into one. Perhaps he didn't meet enough of the criteria and didn't have enough success (wins) to be considered. He was asked to serve as interim with no guarantees attached. Had there been more successes, he might've been interviewed. From the very beginning he acknowledged that it came down to wins. 

Having said that, his lack of success/wins aren't solely attributable to him. He inherited a mess that was not of his doing. He poured his heart into it doing his level best. As a highly conscientious person in his mind he might think that he deserved more consideration.

Now that a permanent head coach has been hired he can decide to continue if asked whether or not to after speaking with his family just as he's said he'll do. He is retained or is let go or resigns and moves on. If there were any misunderstandings, those need to be addressed.  

Perhaps his compensation is bolstered to reflect the value of his contributions. In my view he deserves to be the highest paid position coach on the staff similar to but not exceeding what a coordinator is compensated. He makes $600K now. Perhaps that this is bumped up to around $725K as an example. You do what you can respectful and considerate. It's obvious what the man brings to the table. Perhaps he aspires to be a head coach and ultimately decides to take advantage of an opportunity.  

It's not about him. Mickey knows this. There's a whole group of assistants and budget to work with. Maybe they find a way to make it workable. Possibly they don't. It's nothing personal. It's business. You do what you can. No more. No less. 

It sounds like they'll be meeting to have a discussion soon. If anyone can resume their role effectively after having served as interim I think Mickey can. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

He kept saying he hadn't talked to Trev about it.  Perhaps he didn't think he really got an interview.

Well if the permanent gig was never really on the table, then I could see him being bitter. But everything I saw (maybe it was people guessing…?) made it sound like a tryout and with better results he would’ve been near the top of the list. I guess we don’t know for sure but I do know if he would of got us bowl eligible, it would’ve been impossible for Trev to not seriously consider him. I imagine they didn’t have that discussion because, the way things went, there was no need for it.

• Fire 1