So, I moved into a new house.  My old place was an acreage we lived on for 17 years and I was able to move snow with a skid loader. 

Now, I have a rather sizable driveway and no loader.  So, I’m in the market for a blower. 

do any of you have an electric blower?  I’ve started switching all of my yard tools over to electric. I’m tired of dealing with small gas engines. 

So, are the electric blowers good?  I found one that claims it can do up to 10”. That should be enough, I would think.  

I'm really happy with the EGO brand for big yard tools. They're a bit on the expensive side but I got some cheaper stuff that sucked and ended up getting rid of it.

I got the EGO snow blower that uses 2 batteries and it's really good even in the heavier wet snow we get here sometimes. In deep heavy snows I can do 2 decent sized driveways and 3-4 in lighter snows. Then I bought the mower that use the same batteries but was able to save some money because I could get the mower without the batteries and charger.

Snow blower (I think I got it on sale for $450 several years ago): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYURMK7

Mower: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V56CWW

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm really happy with the EGO brand for big yard tools. They're a bit on the expensive side but I got some cheaper stuff that sucked and ended up getting rid of it.

I got the EGO snow blower that uses 2 batteries and it's really good even in the heavier wet snow we get here sometimes. In deep heavy snows I can do 2 decent sized driveways and 3-4 in lighter snows. Then I bought the mower that use the same batteries but was able to save some money because I could get the mower without the batteries and charger.

Snow blower (I think I got it on sale for $450 several years ago): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYURMK7

Mower: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V56CWW

Thanks.  My biggest concern was that I would get half way done and the battery would die.  This is actually the one I found on line that I've been looking at.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks.  My biggest concern was that I would get half way done and the battery would die.  This is actually the one I found on line that I've been looking at.

If the snow is really heavy and deep and your driveway is really big, then it's a possibility. If you run into that issue or you're worried about it, might be worth buying a second charger. Then if it dies you can be charging both at the same time - I think it takes about 45 minutes to charge but not certain on that.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If the snow is really heavy and deep and your driveway is really big, then it's a possibility. If you run into that issue or you're worried about it, might be worth buying a second charger. Then if it dies you can be charging both at the same time - I think it takes about 45 minutes to charge but not certain on that.

I noticed that this isn't self propelled.  Have you ever wished it was?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I noticed that this isn't self propelled.  Have you ever wished it was?

No, but I'm only on very gradual driveway slopes. Definitely want to wear something with good traction on ice if you're on pavement though. I bought some rubber slip on spikes that fit over my boots.

Edit to add: The snowblower weighs a bit less than my mower and I can pick it up with one hand, so WAY lighter than a gas powered one.

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm looking at this one. $50 more, but two-stage. Only one battery, though. Second battery is another $280.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmart-24-Inch-Self-Propelled-Cordless-Included/dp/B0B9RWHYNM/ref=psdc_3043481_t4_B01MYURMK7?th=1

For only $50 more, I'd strongly consider the 2 stage. But only because the price is so close - I haven't had issues throwing snow 20+ feet with my single stage. I don't know anything about the quality of that brand though.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

For only $50 more, I'd strongly consider the 2 stage. But only because the price is so close - I haven't had issues throwing snow 20+ feet with my single stage. I don't know anything about the quality of that brand though.

I pulled the trigger on that one. First snow blower I've ever bought. Just getting old enough to need something to save my back. And I don't have help to scoop snow anymore for those big storms.

• Plus1 3

I just purchased an electric one from SnoJoe.  I had to go for small, so less than $250 and got myself a 100ft cord ... can lift it up easily and it handles up to 6 inches, after that the snow guy will have to come with the big guns.  But in all my research I decided that electric was the way to go for me ... batteries added up and the weight of the machine became an issue. Read a ton of reviews and ended up on this brand - not sure if they have larger options that might fit your needs, but also liked that the base was rubber so I can run it on my paver driveway and composite decking.

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I just purchased an electric one from SnoJoe.  I had to go for small, so less than $250 and got myself a 100ft cord ... can lift it up easily and it handles up to 6 inches, after that the snow guy will have to come with the big guns.  But in all my research I decided that electric was the way to go for me ... batteries added up and the weight of the machine became an issue. Read a ton of reviews and ended up on this brand - not sure if they have larger options that might fit your needs, but also liked that the base was rubber so I can run it on my paver driveway and composite decking.

Hope it works out for you.

I've tried corded snowblowers and mowers and I just cannot stand the cord getting caught, stepped, or tripped over. Corded equipment is GREAT if you actually need to pick it up off the ground, but I don't need to do that, so the cons outweigh the pros for me.

I completely get it - I really had to force the jump to this.  Single gal, don't have a garage or place to store it so needed to be able to pick it up to get it into a basement after use.  Don't want to deal with gas engines and the battery versions I was looking at got heavy quick (and expensive).  Hoping this allows me to do the little storms (of which we have many in New England), the ones where I'd say "its not worth calling the plow guy" and then I'd tweak my back.   Fingers crossed! 

• Plus1 2