Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

51 minutes ago, Russian Rhulette said:

Given Nebraska's need in this area, I'm guessing that a new coaching staff is going to mean a fresh start for one promising offensive lineman:

https://twitter.com/NouredinNouili/status/1597274975085690880?s=20&t=7SPYaiS2dBdOMX7NcAtd4w

I'm really hoping that a healthy Nouili and a healthy Teddy Prochazka give a big boost to our O-line.  I could see Corcoran moving to C.  I really want to see what Corcoran and Piper can do with some new coaches.  If not them I still think we have some other options (maybe Lutovsky) and then find a tackle in the transfer portal.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Farms said:

I'm really hoping that a healthy Nouili and a healthy Teddy Prochazka give a big boost to our O-line.  I could see Corcoran moving to C.  I really want to see what Corcoran and Piper can do with some new coaches.  If not them I still think we have some other options (maybe Lutovsky) and then find a tackle in the transfer portal.  

I think we have linemen that can be good guards.  We need to find at least one good tackle in the portal.  If we can find upgrades to any of them, then great.

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think we have linemen that can be good guards.  We need to find at least one good tackle in the portal.  If we can find upgrades to any of them, then great.

That is going to be the issue.  There are not good tackles available in the portal.  The couple that go into it are fought over by every single school and end up at the big ones for a year just to prep for the NFL.  We have to build the O line from HS recruits, no way around it.  That is what will take a while here and why we may struggle again in 23. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

That is going to be the issue.  There are not good tackles available in the portal.  The couple that go into it are fought over by every single school and end up at the big ones for a year just to prep for the NFL.  We have to build the O line from HS recruits, no way around it.  That is what will take a while here and why we may struggle again in 23. 

And, why the new coach is going to have to somehow get improvement out of the players we have.  New HS recruits just aren't going to be ready 90% of the time to play at this level at that position.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Five losing teams that can surprise like TCU with 2023 national championship appearance - CBSSports.com

Nebraska

Like Auburn, Nebraska has a first-year coach taking over with Matt Rhule returning to the college game. Unlike Auburn and TCU, Nebraska didn't go 5-7 this season; it went 4-8, so there's even more ground to make up in the standings. Like Miami, the path for Nebraska may not be as tricky as it is for others. While the Big 12 was one of the best conferences in college football this season, there's no question that neither Texas nor Oklahoma living up to their potential helped TCU.

While the Big Ten has Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, they all play in the East. Look at the rest of the Big Ten West and tell me who the clearcut favorite is. Wisconsin has a new coach and a new offense. Iowa is Iowa -- which is good for Iowa, but not anything terrifying. Purdue won the division, its coach left for Louisville, and now it has a first-year coach of its own. Illinois was a surprise in 2021, finishing 8-5, but lost four of its last five games. Northwestern is not in the best condition at the moment. Again, I'm not saying any of these teams making the leap is likely, but Nebraska can at least get an audition for the role.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Didn't exactly set you on fire with their explanation on how.

It’s a national writer. He doesn’t know the fine details of any team. He’s just taking a few big name schools, looking at their schedules, new coach or situations and coming up with hypotheses on how that school can end up doing well. I would guess none of the teams listed will even sniff the playoff. 

• Plus1 3