Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

10 minutes ago, admo said:

A lot and alot  chuckleshuffle

There were computer labs with Macintoshs around campus in the mid 80s. We would add all the bad spelling words to the dictionary. If 'recieve' is in the dictionary, MacWrite won't prompt to correct. I did it abunch of times.  I still laugh about it.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I love stats so I love graphs like this.

But I'm not sure it really says anything is good or bad.  Caleb Williams held the ball longer than anyone, which is usually considered bad.  He finished third in the country in passing yards and won the Heisman.

Will Rogers threw a bunch of really short passes and didn't hold the ball long.  He finished 9th in the country in passing yards.

Sam Hartman threw a bunch of YOLO bombs.  He's considered one of the best QBs in the country.

Lots of things can work.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I'm not sure it really says anything is good or bad.  Caleb Williams held the ball longer than anyone, which is usually considered bad.  He finished third in the country in passing yards and won the Heisman.

Shows me that he had a very good offensive line that gave him a lot of time to find receivers.  It's easier to look that good when you have all day back there to do that.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Will Rogers threw a bunch of really short passes and didn't hold the ball long.  He finished 9th in the country in passing yards.

Different systems ask the QB to do different things.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Lots of things can work.

Yep.

Stetson Bennett held the ball almost the shortest time of anyone and they won the NC.  His WRs are obviously getting quick separation so he can get the ball out fast.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I love stats so I love graphs like this.

Sam Hartman threw a bunch of YOLO bombs.  He's considered one of the best QBs in the country.

Lots of things can work.

Yeah, I don't see a lot of conclusions to draw - I think it does help back up the eye test though. If someone told me Martinez held the ball longer and didn't throw deep even close to as much as Thompson I'd probably agree but wonder how true it actually was. This does help put it in context, the differences are significant.

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Stetson Bennett held the ball almost the shortest time of anyone and they won the NC.  His WRs are obviously getting quick separation so he can get the ball out fast.

This is a pretty good recipe IMO. C. Williams held the ball a ton but was very gifted with his ability to elude and run for yards. Most don’t have a QB with this ability.