Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

10 hours ago, GSG said:

Just curious; any reason to pairing UCLA with Nebraska/Purdue and USC with Penn St/NW? 

No particular reason - basically a coin flip as far as I look at it.  I did that quite awhile ago so I don't remember if I saw anything in particular as I was trying to set that up but my main criteria was keeping as many rivalry games as possible and then balancing the schedules as much as I thought I could.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

OWH had an article on how Rhule is thinking about the Winter conditioning so far. A couple of notes from the article:  Garcia-Castaneda and Betts are back on the team with full scholarships, and Tommi Hill was moved back to DB. 

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Read somewhere yesterday that Tommi Hill is back at DB

Was it here? :P  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4

I still don't know how anybody can feel all that confident about where Matt Rhule's abilities should actually rank him in the larger college football landscape.

But I do feel confident that these are really his biggest tasks:

1. He's got to reverse engineer what Frost was doing and isolate the biggest pain points and address them first.

2. His staff has to hone in on who the weakest links are in the starting 22 and actually dedicate resources in the right way to helping those guys get better, tangibly.

Frost was total crap at that second point.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I'll just stop you there

I know you just wanted the fun drive-by.

But there were things Frost wasn't total crap at. One of them was recruiting, and another was creating a good playbook & offensive scheme. But his program just didn't coach very well at all.

For the salvageable players still on the roster - and I think there are many - Rhule has to reverse engineer what Frost was doing and get that out of these guys.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I still don't know how anybody can feel all that confident about where Matt Rhule's abilities should actually rank him in the larger college football landscape.

But I do feel confident that these are really his biggest tasks:

1. He's got to reverse engineer what Frost was doing and isolate the biggest pain points and address them first.

2. His staff has to hone in on who the weakest links are in the starting 22 and actually dedicate resources in the right way to helping those guys get better, tangibly.

Frost was total crap at that second point.

He needs to lead the program.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I know you just wanted the fun drive-by.

But there were things Frost wasn't total crap at. One of them was recruiting, and another was creating a good playbook & offensive scheme. But his program just didn't coach very well at all.

For the salvageable players still on the roster - and I think there are many - Rhule has to reverse engineer what Frost was doing and get that out of these guys.

I can see your point, but if none of it comes together and it still nets 3 or 4 wins per year, he was total crap.  He did have some good offensive schemes, but couldn't scheme the red zone. The recruiting one is debatable, and if you can't coach em up do we really know?  At the end of the day the 5 year result was crap. You can put sprinkles on crap if you want, but it's still crap.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, runningblind said:

At the end of the day the 5 year result was crap. You can put sprinkles on crap if you want, but it's still crap.

Nah, I'm not debating your point there at all, you're completely right - the end result was "complete crap." No sprinkles on the crap there.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm honestly not even all that excited about Rhule yet at all. Compared to other hypothetical coach options, he was a good hire. Compared to some other hypothetical coach options, he maybe wasn't as good.

My point was precisely what you pointed out with Frost - he can be good in some areas but still wind up having a W/L result that sucks b****. And in order to not do that, he's got to do those two thing. He's got to reverse engineer Frost's crap product.