Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thoughts?

Many.

QB is wrong.

Piper and Justin Eva-Jenkins will be battling for Center behind Ben Scott.  To think he left the backup Center blank tells you all you need to know.

Piper might even beat out NN for Guard.  Jenkins might be #2 at Center.

TE is open for competition.

WR is open, but I do think Kemp was brought in to be Day 1 slot, for short yardage stuff like Edleman.  And even that spot will have a rotation during games.

I could go on and on about this depth list....

But it is early offseason, so I do appreciate the thought and conversation. 

I sincerely think there are a few certain players that are penciled in, but between Spring, Summer, and Fall Ball we will see the cream rising to the top.  Buddy ball is gone (Frost era favortism).  Everything is up for grabs.

47 minutes ago, admo said:

Many.

QB is wrong.

Piper and Justin Eva-Jenkins will be battling for Center behind Ben Scott.  To think he left the backup Center blank tells you all you need to know.

Piper might even beat out NN for Guard.  Jenkins might be #2 at Center.

TE is open for competition.

WR is open, but I do think Kemp was brought in to be Day 1 slot, for short yardage stuff like Edleman.  And even that spot will have a rotation during games.

I could go on and on about this depth list....

But it is early offseason, so I do appreciate the thought and conversation. 

I sincerely think there are a few certain players that are penciled in, but between Spring, Summer, and Fall Ball we will see the cream rising to the top.  Buddy ball is gone (Frost era favortism).  Everything is up for grabs.

:lol: I am so looking forward to your reaction posts when Sims is named starter over Thompson. It's gonna happen my dude. They're going to want to run the QB. Casey might play some, but he doesn't fit the mold.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I’ll take one on each side of the ball I have huge issues with. 

Offense - Benhart. He’s awful. Unless they have him on some miracle footwork regimen this Spring and Summer he should never play. 

Defense - Henrich. He looked slow and lost last year when he played. Watch the NW game. He was terrible. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Toe said:

@runningblind Uhhh... You know who our offensive coordinator is, right? Rattler ran for a whopping 46 yards this season. I wouldn't expect much of a change in QB rushing attempts compared to what we saw from Whipple, not in year 1 anyway.

I do know who the OC is, but I also know we have a head coach who has had QBs average 98 carries per year over his college career.  Thompson had 56 carries (including 24 sacks) for -21 yards in 2022.  If you don't expect at least a little change you haven't paid enough attention to what Rhule likes to do, no matter who his OC is.  Couple that with them recruiting Sims specifically, and it's not hard to read these tea leaves.

• TBH 2
21 hours ago, runningblind said:

:lol: I am so looking forward to your reaction posts when Sims is named starter over Thompson. It's gonna happen my dude. They're going to want to run the QB. Casey might play some, but he doesn't fit the mold.

I will save you the time.  If Sims is the starter game one, I will be super OK with it.  Even more happy if he can maintain that excellence throughout the season.

Because this means that 2 things happened:

- Casey hangs up his cleats before Spring practice, and thankfully we have Sims to fall back on (obviously).  

- Sims is a better passer (good luck with that) and wins the job.

It's a Win-Win situation in my opinion.  I've said it before.  I've said Casey is better and more accurate and is finally getting healthy.  He played through it last year.

Your opinion is Sims or bust.  Which means you and I don't see eye-to-eye with this situation.  

1 hour ago, admo said:

I will save you the time.  If Sims is the starter game one, I will be super OK with it.  Even more happy if he can maintain that excellence throughout the season.

- Casey hangs up his cleats before Spring practice, and thankfully we have Sims to fall back on (obviously).  

It's a Win-Win situation in my opinion.  I've said it before.  I've said Casey is better and more accurate and is finally getting healthy.  He played through it last year.

Your opinion is Sims or bust.  Which means you and I don't see eye-to-eye with this situation.  

I don't think he needs to be the better down field,  pocket passer because I don't envision them wanting that.  They want more of a (pre Denver) Russell Wilson type who is on the move constantly,  run or pass.  That's where we are seeing different things.  I agree with your assessment of Casey's skill set.  :cheers

14 hours ago, admo said:

I don’t see your option #1 as a win unless Sims is as good or better than Thompson. 

13 hours ago, runningblind said:

I don't think he needs to be the better down field,  pocket passer because I don't envision them wanting that.  They want more of a (pre Denver) Russell Wilson type who is on the move constantly,  run or pass.  That's where we are seeing different things.  I agree with your assessment of Casey's skill set.  :cheers

We will have plenty of pocket passing in the offense and down field passing will be a major part of it.  Look at the speed they have brought in at WR. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1