EJ Barthel Hired as Running Backs Coach

thexyz

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

In part, that was also due to our runningbacks failing to run North-South and instead trying to bounce outside where they weren't fast enough to outrun defenders. Best games were when the backs were willing to run forward and accept 3-4 yard gains when available. Habit of trying to bounce outside was a recipe for failure too often.

It was also partly due to Whipp's scheme. The man just has no desire to even try to have an effective run game. Really wasted all of the install of Frost's orbit motion/read option game and had absolutely zero creativity to try and counteract our lack of physicality.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 2

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It was also partly due to Whipp's scheme. The man just has no desire to even try to have an effective run game. Really wasted all of the install of Frost's orbit motion/read option game and had absolutely zero creativity to try and counteract our lack of physicality.

Agree completely. I thought he was too in love with his scheme and designs that he ignored balance in favor of the WOW factor when things clicked which was less often than anyone hoped. Too often Frost and his OCs thought home run shots were the answer when simple 3-4 yard gains consistently would obviously help build momentum, but also control the clock and give the defense a breather. 

• 2 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, 1HuskerDad said:

Very very impressed by him.  His interview with the Husker Radio Network this morning showed his passion for football and coaching.  DB said he is a potential coaching superstar down the road in so many words.

Known as a great teacher. His guys really like him. Relates well with his players. We can expect good things from that group. I'm excited!

When talking about running physical and finishing off runs (per EJ Barthel), I feel the best two guys for that are Gabe Irvin Jr and Ajay Allen.  

Of course, we also have Grant (shifty) and Rhamir (also shifty and gritty).

I am also very curious to see how Emmett Johnson do in his 2nd year.  I still have high hopes for him.

However, I don't know if Ajay or Emmett will be back though. :dunno

I was high on Grant early on but as the year went along, against tougher defenses, he danced too much, and wasn't finishing his runs.  Yes, the OLine didn't provide a lot of lanes, but you can't be considered a great back if no one touches you.... anyone can be great with open running lanes. In college you have to put your foot down, hit the hole, get hit, finish off the run strong moving forward.  Gaining 1 yard is better than losing 2 yards dodging linemen.  

So, I can be grateful for what Grant contributed this past year, but also think he could get passed over by other, tougher dudes.  

I can be completely wrong on this thinking, but no matter what, it's going to be an exciting battle regardless.  

11 minutes ago, admo said:

When talking about running physical and finishing off runs (per EJ Barthel), I feel the best two guys for that are Gabe Irvin Jr and Ajay Allen.  

I am also very curious to see how Emmett Johnson do in his 2nd year.  I still have high hopes for him.

I was high on Grant early on but as the year went along, against tougher defenses, he danced too much, and wasn't finishing his runs.  Yes, the OLine didn't provide a lot of lanes, but you can't be considered a great back if no one touches you.... anyone can be great with open running lanes. In college you have to put your foot down, hit the hole, get hit, finish off the run strong moving forward.  Gaining 1 yard is better than losing 2 yards dodging linemen.  

So, I can be grateful for what Grant contributed this past year, but also think he could get passed over by other, tougher dudes.  

I can be completely wrong on this thinking, but no matter what, it's going to be an exciting battle regardless.  

Got to retain AJ. He has the potential to become one of those elite backs that made NU RB U

They seem to have done well finding the guys to shore up the weakest areas.  They should be ok at RB with the returning backs.  May need a FB type and a good TE (blocking certainly) to complement the receiving ones. 

Maybe the move a TE in the backfield at times.  
They will have unmatched speed in a lot of spots for sure.  And secondary will run too!   
Quietly in a way, they’ve assembled what could be fastest ‘skill group’ perhaps ever?  Power? Idk.  But pure speed will be elite.  How they use it?   Not sure. The issue I am wondering is how well they can block the perimeter.  

5 hours ago, admo said:

Grant was good.  But, maybe he can’t handle the main workload all year.  If someone like AJ would step up and take more carries early on, maybe both would be better late in the season.  

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...