EJ Barthel Hired as Running Backs Coach

thexyz

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So you don't think that Ajay Allen got kicked out of practice bc of lack of effort just the drill?  If your not going to bring effort then get out of practice and not just the drill.  Imho i hoped for that to happen(kids getting kicked out of practice)so it teaches kids here that its a honor and privilege to play here.

Come on.  This for drill only.  Don't get so carried away.  @runningblind said it well.

But also, when a special player gets away with going less than full, others will follow.  EJB clearly wasn't having it.  

Sidenote: You either are cleared for practice or not.  No ifs.  

A player coming off an injury and from surgery might be cleared physically but not ready mentally to go full speed.  I would assume this the case for Allen.  That is not the coach's fault.  AA was cleared to go but was not giving his best, and that isn't ok for the coach's drill.  Maybe AA needs some more sideline time to get his mind to trust his body until he go full speed and do what coach ask him to do.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, desertshox said:

And that is the teaching moment. You refocus him and let him know the expectations. If it continues you move on to harsher punishment.

The coach was telling him to "hustle back!"  "SPRINT!" (I think I could even hear others players telling him to hurry up.  And Ajay looked like he couldn't care less.  The coaches have much more important things to do like get the next guys ready that actually want to give some effort.

• TBH 3

3 hours ago, desertshox said:

And that is the teaching moment. You refocus him and let him know the expectations. If it continues you move on to harsher punishment.

That's my point he knows the expectation of effort coming into the season bc the lack of team success and individualism.  You don't need to teach kids that lesson to hustle.  The harsher punishment in the end is falling behind on the depth chart and or not playing and being part of the teams success.  Like I said it could be that he doesn't like the coaching style of EB.  I hope not.  But seeing that clip kinda reminds me of a certain player we have on the team now that is back who didn't mesh well with a certain position coach or you can say 2 players returning.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think some fans are trying to make to big of deal out of a 15 second clip. 

Well its not pleasant to see when your leading running back is suspended and the guy you think in line to take his place doesn't show enough effort to get a drill done.  The worst thing is watching a player like him not playing or practicing up to the standards the coaches want out of him.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well its not pleasant to see when your leading running back is suspended and the guy you think in line to take his place doesn't show enough effort to get a drill done.  The worst thing is watching a player like him not playing or practicing up to the standards the coaches want out of him.

I would have hoped the last decade taught Husker fans that is most definitely NOT "the worst thing".

It's video of spring practice. That's all.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is the video concerning? Possibly. But it’s also a 15-second clip of a 90-120 minute practice? Who knows exactly what was going on.  That’s between the player and the coach. Just make sure you get your jump to conclusion map ready the next time there is a practice video released. 

• TBH 4
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is the video concerning? Possibly. But it’s also a 15-second clip of a 90-120 minute practice? Who knows exactly what was going on.  That’s between the player and the coach. Just make sure you get your jump to conclusion map ready the next time there is a practice video released. 

I didn't jump to conclusions.  It was his lack of effort regardless if it was for that drill or any other that you or I didn't see.  Coaches don't care that you make a mistake in practice that is correctable the lack of effort coaches won't tolerate and my whole point to all this is you and I don't expect one of most talented guys on the roster to not care regardless if it was for 15 seconds or not.  

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I didn't jump to conclusions.  It was his lack of effort regardless if it was for that drill or any other that you or I didn't see.  Coaches don't care that you make a mistake in practice that is correctable the lack of effort coaches won't tolerate and my whole point to all this is you and I don't expect one of most talented guys on the roster to not care regardless if it was for 15 seconds or not.  

You really hold everyone to a "you are allowed less than 15 total seconds in your entire career of being in a momentary mental funk" standard?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's my point he knows the expectation of effort coming into the season bc the lack of team success and individualism.  You don't need to teach kids that lesson to hustle.  The harsher punishment in the end is falling behind on the depth chart and or not playing and being part of the teams success.  Like I said it could be that he doesn't like the coaching style of EB.  I hope not.  But seeing that clip kinda reminds me of a certain player we have on the team now that is back who didn't mesh well with a certain position coach or you can say 2 players returning.

your stream of consciousness posting needs a little coaching:  Watch it, read some stuff. Think to yourself. Don’t post. Sometimes post. Practice those 5 steps. Unless you’re 3-5 beers in then by all means post away. 

and absolutely you need to coach hustling. Even to 4-5* athletes. There are literally “hustle drills”. And at my college we used to practice “enthusiasm.”  
literally practiced getting hyped on the sidelines after a scripted big play. Watch a scripted big play near our sideline and the whole team practiced jumping up and down and showing enthusiasm/hype. It seemed so stupid as a freshman, then it made perfect sense later on. 

if you want to do something when it matters, you practice it. It worked very well. We were by far the most hyped and enthusiastic team in our conference and it wasn’t fake. We were always enthusiastic. 

Coach made Allen do it twice because he was like 9 inches away from his jump cut on first try. That’s attention to detail which cost N very dearly in 25 games lost by 6pts or less over 5 seasons.  Then he gets the jump cut right but doesn’t finish correctly. Coach hollers at him for a 3rd rep and Allen is jogging downfield like “all good coach, I got this”. Coach hollers and he doesn’t listen. Screams, no listen, with instruction. Doesn’t listen. So coach like “aiiigjht, next man up…this mf’er ain’t listening to details on this one.” 

that was be one player, one drill, 2 reps. But instead of letting it slide, he calls him out. I like it.
We been missing this. A lost. Dude ain’t gonna transfer for getting called out. And if he does, or anyone does…bye
But man, stop with the assumptions and cratering earth theories. Just chill and read and enjoy. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2