EJ Barthel Hired as Running Backs Coach

thexyz

2 minutes ago, I am I said:

your stream of consciousness posting needs a little coaching:  Watch it, read some stuff. Think to yourself. Don’t post. Sometimes post. Practice those 5 steps. Unless you’re 3-5 beers in then by all means post away. 

and absolutely you need to coach hustling. Even to 4-5* athletes. There are literally “hustle drills”. And at my college we used to practice “enthusiasm.”  
literally practiced getting hyped on the sidelines after a scripted big play. Watch a scripted big play near our sideline and the whole team practiced jumping up and down and showing enthusiasm/hype. It seemed so stupid as a freshman, then it made perfect sense later on. 

if you want to do something when it matters, you practice it. It worked very well. We were by far the most hyped and enthusiastic team in our conference and it wasn’t fake. We were always enthusiastic. 

Coach made Allen do it twice because he was like 9 inches away from his jump cut on first try. That’s attention to detail which cost N very dearly in 25 games lost by 6pts or less over 5 seasons.  Then he gets the jump cut right but doesn’t finish correctly. Coach hollers at him for a 3rd rep and Allen is jogging downfield like “all good coach, I got this”. Coach hollers and he doesn’t listen. Screams, no listen, with instruction. Doesn’t listen. So coach like “aiiigjht, next man up…this mf’er ain’t listening to details on this one.” 

that was be one player, one drill, 2 reps. But instead of letting it slide, he calls him out. I like it.
We been missing this. A lost. Dude ain’t gonna transfer for getting called out. And if he does, or anyone does…bye
But man, stop with the assumptions and cratering earth theories. Just chill and read and enjoy. 

I don't understand how any Husker fan can see this, knowing our YEARS of laziness, and not think this is a good thing. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, I am I said:

your stream of consciousness posting needs a little coaching:  Watch it, read some stuff. Think to yourself. Don’t post.

If you are giving advice to that particular poster, you should've just stopped right here.

9 hours ago, I am I said:

Unless you’re 3-5 beers in then by all means post away. 

There's no way that poster is old enough to purchase beer.

Since the rest of us are simply making $h!t up about what happened and why, here's what I think: Barthel and Allen planned this all in advance. Barthel wanted to make an early example out of one of the top players, so he told Allen to purposely dog it on this one rep and made sure that someone was there recording it. They knew it would generate some overinflated offseason discussion among us rubes, and that every player on the team would see it. It gives all of these kids an early wake up call, it makes a public show of accountability and tough love from our coaches, and it sets the stage for a good redemption story when Allen is named starter in August. Barthel gets a raise. Everyone wins!

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

After all of the back and forth on this.  Given what we have seen.  This is a bit disheartening to see.  Yeah, we don't know the full story, but the video I have seen on this shows that AA does this twice.  Once from the Right side drill and once from the Left side drill.  It's a piss poor attitude, regardless of what happened before or after the drill.  You either put in the work, or you don't.  

The other side of this is, sure it is a 15 second clip, but I don't see any of the other backs pulling this crap during that same clip.  Why is AA the only one half assing it?

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

When I say the worst thing I mean is having a player of his statue not practice up to his potential to be the leader on the depth chart.

You don't know if he's practicing up to his otherwise or if he's a leader on the depth chart. You're jumping to conclusions.

Again, it's only a few seconds from a practice. In the spring. It's interesting but ultimately meaningless.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You don't know if he's practicing up to his otherwise or if he's a leader on the depth chart. You're jumping to conclusions.

Again, it's only a few seconds from a practice. In the spring. It's interesting but ultimately meaningless.

Im saying there is no way Ajay Allen could be the lead guy in that room rn bc of the effort.  Yes it's only 15 seconds but it doesn't help his cause to be the clear number one rb that husker fans want him to be.  I understand what your saying by saying its meaningless or it means nothing but when Nebraska hasn't been to a bowl game in 6 years all practices count or should matter.  You think its meaningless I think it matters we will see who is the starter by the Minnesota game is.  Just different of opinions.

• Haha 2

I love the video.  Inspect your expectations.  This team has half assed it for years.  If a coach can't trust you to do the little things, how can he trust you with the big things.  Small details, that seem unimportant in the "grand scheme" half cost NU games for years.  It was why Frost was 5-22 in 1 score games......It's what we haven't been bowling in 6 years.  Practice and play to the standard...Love it.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 4:08 PM, lo country said:

I love the video.  Inspect your expectations.  This team has half assed it for years.  If a coach can't trust you to do the little things, how can he trust you with the big things.  Small details, that seem unimportant in the "grand scheme" half cost NU games for years.  It was why Frost was 5-22 in 1 score games......It's what we haven't been bowling in 6 years.  Practice and play to the standard...Love it.

How does a player trust a coach that doesn't know that he (the player) isn't delivering his best? That's his obligation to you, to help you be your best and contribute what you have to offer. A never-ending discovery process. It's earned through what he consistently demonstrates on your behalf. And, how does a coach trust a player but through the actions he demonstrates on a consistent basis. When both are acting in their and each other's interest there is trust!  It's the foundation of the relationship, really the team. Not anyone's ego but caring, being earnestly interested. Authentic with who you are coach and player. 

You have to have accountability while being genuinely interested in the player as a person. And, the actions of the coach and his staff helps to determine the team's culture having accountability. We have standards, not rules that the team adheres to because there is a purpose to the standards, not because someone charged with leading you told you so. We have standards in order to WIN and winning is FUN. And, having fun is the reward for doing what is required for winning. The more playing is fun, the more success the team experiences.

There's got to be a shared vision. Cohesiveness. Discipline, beginning with what's demonstrated by the coaches. Real competitiveness, not just practicing. Doing the things that are done in games. All of it including physical contact. Learning occurs as a consequence of playing games though games are not practice! Playing fundamentally sound. Having attention to detail. Making change constant. Everyone discovering and delivering their BEST.

• Plus1 1