Mickey Joseph Arrested For Assault

Hagg

5 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There is more to the story.  What Mickey did is really bad, but I laugh at all the rumors that are being posted with little or no proof!

By any chance does "more to the story" suggest that while what Mickey did was really bad, his wife was kinda......you know......asking for trouble?

Since you're laughing, maybe it was something more comical. 

Anyway, you have the proof. We don't. You win. Congrats. 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

By any chance does "more to the story" suggest that while what Mickey did was really bad, his wife was kinda......you know......asking for trouble?

Since you're laughing, maybe it was something more comical. 

Anyway, you have the proof. We don't. You win. Congrats. 

No one wins in these situations and making this comical does not say much for your ethics.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

33 minutes ago, Skerbaby said:

Its also pretty much bull$%^&.  Just like Frank getting all these student pregnant and every coach since then assaulting people/drinking too much/ having affairs etc.  I have family on the police force in Lincoln and I worked in the media there during the late 90s. Those things were usually unfounded.  

"I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department," Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey says, "and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all."

For all of those questioning TOs ethics, please consider the time frame those things happened and what the national standards were.  We are living in a different day and age and the standards by which we are judging him and his actions weren't the norm back then.  Part of being a coach is being a mentor and sometimes that includes helping young people through the toughest times.  I don't have stats to back it up but my guess is he helped a lot more that we have never heard about than he ever let slip through the cracks and covered up for.  True or not, the boys who played for him believed he had the best of intentions, especially in those rough times.    

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

For all of those questioning TOs ethics, please consider the time frame those things happened and what the national standards were.  We are living in a different day and age and the standards by which we are judging him and his actions weren't the norm back then.  Part of being a coach is being a mentor and sometimes that includes helping young people through the toughest times.  I don't have stats to back it up but my guess is he helped a lot more that we have never heard about than he ever let slip through the cracks and covered up for.  True or not, the boys who played for him believed he had the best of intentions, especially in those rough times.    

Yep.

It's easy to fall into the trap of judging someone from the past with today's standards.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

There is no doubt that TO helped a lot of people and did lots of good things. But do you think it is okay to cover up violent crimes as long as you have good intentions and if you happened to have helped other people?

• Plus1 3

There was an awareness that what they were doing was wrong and he and his staff worked to keep that from the greater public's view.  If there was nothing to judge he wouldn't have worked so hard to keep it under wraps.  

It's ok to find out things about people that make you think differently of them - people have faults.  You can still appreciate what they did and think that there were things they could/should have done differently.  I'm sure if Tom was honest there are things he wished he did differently - I believe in the LP documentary he says as much.

• Plus1 5
9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

There is no doubt that TO helped a lot of people and did lots of good things. But do you think it is okay to cover up vilent crimes as long as you have good intentions and if you happened to have helped other people?

I guess it depends on what you mean by covering up.  Was he participating in an illegal act by tampering with police investigations?  Or was he trying to keep a young man's name out of the media and publics light because he believed a person is innocent until proven guilty.  Lot of lenses to look through.  My point is that a coaches obligation today is different than what a coaches obligation was 30 years ago.    

40 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Neither was I, but you made a joke out of it. 

When you start a sentence: "What Mickey Joseph did was really bad, but......" it suggests you're about to offer some evidence to the contrary, as opposed to laughing at people who don't have your awesome inside sources.

38 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

It's easy to fall into the trap of judging someone from the past with today's standards.

It was the 90s... Not the 1960s. If somebody was using slurs or driving drunk; sure, let's not judge that so harshly. Playing guys who beat women, sexually assault women, or hiding a gun from the cops are not things that were acceptable even in the 90s. The boys will be boys attitude was as f#&%ed up and wrong then as it is now. It's even called out in Varsity Blues in 1999 for crying out loud.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2