Mickey Joseph Arrested For Assault

Hagg

2 minutes ago, macroboy said:

The problem with the ‘he believed in 2nd chances’ and ‘it was a different time’ is that it disregards the trauma to the victims.

How does an acknowledgment that times were indeed different back then disregard trauma to victims? We can acknowledge how things were different and learn from mistakes others have made while also not minimizing or ignoring the victims. We can talk about the trauma endured by the victims as part of our own learning processes and how to help those traumatized as a separate topic or as part of this one.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay. You do you. But I have to ask, what’s the purpose almost 30 years later?

The next poster after you just said "But I’m disgusted now and it does change the way I view our program’s history.", which is kind of at least part of the purpose.

For me, I've personally been duped and seen too many others duped into whitewashed versions of history and glowing admiration for supposed heroes way too many times. Recognizing and naming and holding space for all of the dark and ugly parts of history is part of the process of going forward in a way that's healthy. 

Also, bored and posting on a messageboard for no purpose other than entertainment lol.

31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Reading his responses to specific incidents is sickening. -LP didn’t really beat Kate M, but he did hurt her some (Didn’t he drag her down three flights of stairs by her hair and beat her head on the mailboxes?).

He’s also not really a danger to society, but has some issues with explosiveness every 5 months or so. -who fricken says this?  

And I personally knew Natalie (Christian Peter) strong young lady right there- to not give in to TO’s influence-although what punishment was served. 

and again back to MJ- do you think he  really scaled the outside of his girlfriends apartment to get notes for class? And as in several, or many, incidences to shortly follow, the victim and witness refused to press charges.  I’m sure they were leaned on. 

And I’m not sure I’ve ever read these articles with all the incidences chronicled and detailed. I was a college student and was probably at a party somewhere.  But I’m disgusted now and it does change the way I view our program’s history. 

You've been affected in a personal way. It's conflicting. On the one hand, this is a program that you love. On the other, it's disgusting knowing what was experienced and there not being different responses to it with respect to victims. Those who have experienced abuse themselves or have had a relationship with victims of abuse have a clearer perspective of how critical it is for these things to be acknowledged and addressed.  

As you've referenced, it can be particularly traumatic for children. It can and usually does have lasting affects. Through no fault of their own kids endure the consequences. Hopefully that isn't the case with the Joseph children. 

Our awareness is growing, insights are being gained and we're having more discussions nowadays than we ever have. That doesn't reconcile the past. We can do better moving forward. And we must.  

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Reading his responses to specific incidents is sickening. -LP didn’t really beat Kate M, but he did hurt her some (Didn’t he drag her down three flights of stairs by her hair and beat her head on the mailboxes?).

He’s also not really a danger to society, but has some issues with explosiveness every 5 months or so. -who fricken says this?  

And I personally knew Natalie (Christian Peter) strong young lady right there- to not give in to TO’s influence-although what punishment was served. 

and again back to MJ- do you think he  really scaled the outside of his girlfriends apartment to get notes for class? And as in several, or many, incidences to shortly follow, the victim and witness refused to press charges.  I’m sure they were leaned on. 

And I’m not sure I’ve ever read these articles with all the incidences chronicled and detailed. I was a college student and was probably at a party somewhere.  But I’m disgusted now and it does change the way I view our program’s history. 

From my recollection, LP punched the mailboxes and left blood on the mailboxes from his bloody hand. Not condoning anything that LP did, just provide some clarity from my memory. She is still a victim and he an assaulter but not confident he beat her head on the mailboxes.    

I got punched in the face by a second string Husker offensive lineman at O'Rourke's in 1981. He thought our table was laughing at his table behind us. We weren't. But he had a big crowd of guys gathered around him, waiting for a Saturday night fight to entertain them.

This happened all the time. Probably still does. Especially in smaller college towns that treat large 19 year old athletes like entitled celebrities. Most don't make the news, but if I had decided to file a report it would have been clear assault with a bar full of witnesses. Dan LaFever could have lost his marginal college football career and scholarship.

• Plus1 2

51 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I got punched in the face by a second string Husker offensive lineman at O'Rourke's in 1981. He thought our table was laughing at his table behind us. We weren't. But he had a big crowd of guys gathered around him, waiting for a Saturday night fight to entertain them.

This happened all the time. Probably still does. Especially in smaller college towns that treat large 19 year old athletes like entitled celebrities. Most don't make the news, but if I had decided to file a report it would have been clear assault with a bar full of witnesses. Dan LaFever could have lost his marginal college football career and scholarship.

Wonder if it was the same one that punched out a couple of my friends leaving a party for no reason in 1984.  One guy with them  had to have his jaw wired shut for 2 months.  
Lets just say he had connections in the city of Lincoln and got off easy.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's crazy!  

In the early 2000's I was in an establishment where a former defensive lineman's brother was. They were serving some beverages out of a water tank with ice in it. As I was behind a couple of women waiting the brother walked up and went in between them and I. I hesitated for a moment then came to his side, tapped him on the shoulder and said, I'm sorry I've been waiting behind these ladies. He gave me a disgusted look with his nose scrunched a little like who the hell do you think you are as though he was entitled to be there.

What bugged me about it was how close he was to the women. I didn't appreciate the encroachment. Obviously the guy had no respect for personal space and believed he'd do what he wanted. He didn't say anything back.The doorman was a few yards from us. As he was moving behind us I said thank you sir. 

Once back at my table he and his group of guys were looking over at us laughing a little not in the least bit of a friendly way as he starred. One of my nephews, a niece and her husband were together with me at the time. They asked what was up with that. I told them that I'd tell them later. No big deal ignore them. In awhile we went to different area there where the band was playing.

Later I was standing at the bar waiting. The big guy walked up there put his hands on the bar with his chest out, looked over a bit later and leaned back looking at me in a snobby perplexed way. I stepped back a little ways from the bar and offered my hand while I introduced myself. He seemed a bit confounded and reluctantly shook my hand. I complemented him on his business then waited. Bartender came up. I gestured to get him first then followed up by paying for his bourbon berry cocktail or whatever it was. Lol  He took the drink, let out sort of sigh as he shook his head, turned and walked away. 

Fortunately nothing happened. His brother was a whole lot smarter and much more accomplished let's say. I know because I'd  interacted with him a couple times at a gym. All business and not arrogant. Truth be know probably bailed his brother out financially a time or two.