Mickey Joseph Arrested For Assault

Hagg

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Huh? I’m pretty sure 1 or 2 posters here said he couldn’t be fired prior to or without a conviction. Weird -_-

Perhaps the university was provided evidence and following discussions with Joseph and his representatives they arrived at a departure "agreement". 

5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Perhaps the university was provided evidence and following discussions with Joseph and his representatives they arrived at a departure "agreement". 

IDK any more than the announcement that he is no longer employed by the University. 1 or 2 hereabouts said that couldn’t happen without a conviction. Just pointing out how wrong they were.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK any more than the announcement that he is no longer employed by the University. 1 or 2 hereabouts said that couldn’t happen without a conviction. Just pointing out how wrong they were.

Sadly they'll claim they weren't wrong because he wasn't fired and a settlement was agreed to. (I know as much as you, if not less. But I did drive by a holiday Inn express a few days ago.)

• Plus1 1

America - the land of second chances.

Nebraska parts ways, but someone will provide him another coaching opportunity.  

Wouldn't be that surprised if Sanders gives him that chance.  Prime still needs coaches at WR, RB and ST.  But, my gut says it's too soon. 

Regardless of the disappointment of the situation off the field in his home, as a worker, Mickey was a very good WR coach and recruiter. 

I just wish him the best regardless of the mistake, and beyond everything, wish peace, strength, understanding, kindness and forgiveness for his family and him. That's the most important thing moving forward with his life.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I imagine those folks would argue they didn't say he couldn't be fired without a conviction, but that he couldn't be fired without 'cause.' :dumdum Which, Nebraska is an employment at will state.

Either way, you're right. The likely outcome was always going to be him leaving the university long before the full legal process played out. Just how these things often go.

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, Enhance said:

I imagine those folks would argue they didn't say he couldn't be fired without a conviction, but that he couldn't be fired without 'cause.' :dumdum Which, Nebraska is an employment at will state.

Either way, you're right. The likely outcome was always going to be him leaving the university long before the full legal process played out. Just how these things often go.

I don’t think “at will” comes into play at all since we’re talking about contracted employees.

Otherwise UNL has grossly overpaid buyouts over the past 10 years…

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don’t think “at will” comes into play at all since we’re talking about contracted employees.

Yeah IDK either to be honest. Usually contracts are different.

I think the overall point though is, more or less, how silly the conversation became surrounding whether or not this would lead to his dismissal/departure. This was always going to be the likely outcome.

• Plus1 3

32 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He is getting a good severance pay.  He will be back coacing in a year or 2.

I'm not sure he ever coaches again.  Picture him in a living room sitting with a recruit and his parents convincing them he will make their young man a better person...  He is a good coach but it was his recruiting prowess that landed him the high profile jobs he has had.  That strength is all but gone now.      

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure he ever coaches again.  Picture him in a living room sitting with a recruit and his parents convincing them he will make their young man a better person...  He is a good coach but it was his recruiting prowess that landed him the high profile jobs he has had.  That strength is all but gone now.      

You don’t have to recruit everybody, just those that listen and our morals and motivation don’t reflect society.

Some people were shocked Hugh Freeze got another shot - Auburn already hired Bruce Pearl.

If Mickey wants, he’ll coach again and there will be families with athletically gifted teens looking for an opportunity. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Gage County said:

It's pretty well spelled out in MJ's contract. I'll post the link again. Check out page 17, points a, b, d, and e.

https://nebraska.edu/-/media/projects/unca/docs/transparency/contracts/interim-head-football-coach-mickey-joseph-contract-of-employment.pdf

When I click that link it only shows 16 pages. Is this some sort of holiday gag? lol

I think you meant page 14.

It's interesting that the very last item in his contract allows for being fired without cause. (Page 16 btw.)

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1