Mickey Joseph Arrested For Assault

Hagg

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

It is. And it changes a lot of how I think about him and his legacy.

He continues to meddle in things, like stepping in to have Frost not fired after 2021, and has damaged this program further because he can't leave well enough alone.  Both he and Frost have damaged their own legacies around here and they both can just disappear forever for all I care.

The ridiculous obsession people have with the past I used to think was a good thing because of how much the program is supported but I now see it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome.  We need a clean start without our throwback cult leaders.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

For all of those questioning TOs ethics, please consider the time frame those things happened and what the national standards were.  We are living in a different day and age and the standards by which we are judging him and his actions weren't the norm back then.  Part of being a coach is being a mentor and sometimes that includes helping young people through the toughest times.  I don't have stats to back it up but my guess is he helped a lot more that we have never heard about than he ever let slip through the cracks and covered up for.  True or not, the boys who played for him believed he had the best of intentions, especially in those rough times.    

Eh, I was a grown adult at the time, and the national standards weren't so different. Osborne and the Husker Football program were judged by the standards at the time, and they were pretty harsh and well documented.

We didn't like the national media judging our program, but we had no problem when it was Oklahoma and Miami getting in trouble for the entire decade of the 80s. We loved casting them as thugs and criminals, and the coaches and donors as enablers. 

I don't disagree with Dr. Tom that it might be better to keep a troubled young man in a regimented system rather than totally cutting him loose, but it did appear that a star football player could cross almost any line and the University would have his back.

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

We are living in a different day and age and the standards by which we are judging him and his actions weren't the norm back then.  

Then why were these things issues back then? There was an entire sports illustrated article about it....back then

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Was he participating in an illegal act by tampering with police investigations?  Or was he trying to keep a young man's name out of the media and publics light because he believed a person is innocent until proven guilty. 

Yes.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Truly disturbing. Pretty easy to have a dynasty when your morals are trash. 

I think he sold our soul to the devil for his glory. 

As a fan, I knew/heard the stories when it was going on, but unfortunately winning covers a multitude of issues.  I do think that he was a true believer in 2nd chances and grace, but that also resulted in wins.  As mentioned before, I do thing he has admitted to making some less than good decisions in the past.  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

As a fan, I knew/heard the stories when it was going on, but unfortunately winning covers a multitude of issues.  I do think that he was a true believer in 2nd chances and grace, but that also resulted in wins.  As mentioned before, I do thing he has admitted to making some less than good decisions in the past.  

I did too. But I was a kid and I’m not the guilty one, so the shame is not mine. And I don’t remember the DB incident. I remember most of these incidents, but didn’t realize(or care) about that magnitude of them. Reading them with old and wise eyes makes me nauseous.

The assaults on women are the worst and his disregard for them is disturbing. I think his name should be removed from the field. 

more than winning by butt. What a fraud. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
35 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I did too. But I was a kid and I’m not the guilty one, so the shame is not mine. And I don’t remember the DB incident. I remember most of these incidents, but didn’t realize(or care) about that magnitude of them. Reading them with old and wise eyes makes me nauseous.

The assaults on women are the worst and his disregard for them is disturbing. I think his name should be removed from the field. 

more than winning by butt. What a fraud. 

Wow, spot on!!! Maybe in some kind of way it is TO's lack of morals that the team has been paying for every since. 

• Haha 1

It was believed that by introducing an “troubled person”to a healthier environment and presenting opportunities that alone would translate into better choices. There’s a more complete understanding now that’s only part of what’s necessary in that these are much more complex issues than once thought or understood.

What was wrong in the past was as wrong then as it ever was and is.

If only it were as simple as punishment, admitting one’s errors and promising to make better choices. It requires confronting the root causes and commitment involving considerable time and effort. Even that’s not necessarily a guarantee. 

My views today are much different than they were thirty years ago. I have a better understanding about underlying causes and remedies. The things people do to their peers and those they have relationships with can cause tremendous anguish, grief and trauma. The traumatization can be lasting.

It is the lasting wounds and pain brought upon individuals of abuse. The abuser goes on abusing without causes being addressed.  The person has to want to do it. Society suffers the consequences of destructive behaviors.

What I have done is awful. I’m genuinely sorrowful. I might not have been entirely responsible for how I arrived at this place but I was held accountable and supported and took the necessary steps to put a stop to what I did or was doing.

That’s the way it has to be.

Sadly, in some instances there can be no resolution. We do our best to prevent horrible things from being experienced, care for victims to the best of our ability and steer clear of personalities that have a likelihood of harming us.

There is no reward for minimizing or ignoring.

• Plus1 1

While nobody would condone TO's role back in the day, the fact of the matter is that those were very different times and society and culture moved very differently. Our society has progressed in a number of very positive ways, which is good. At that time, domestic abuse was very often not taken seriously.  It wasn't even until RBG won the Oklahoma alcohol drinking age case in 1976 that women were even officially viewed as an actual person in the court of law, and even that was via a work around. At the same time, East Coast/West Coast culture with pervasive gang violence was at its peak.  All of this led to a downplaying of what was considered mild criminal activity at the time. You need only understand that the national media was on all of this like white on rice and still made no actual impact in meaningful changes at any major school, NU included. TO didn't "hang" for anything because the judge and juries of the time didn't consider him to be mishandling things in any sort of gregarious manner.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

While nobody would condone TO's role back in the day, the fact of the matter is that those were very different times and society and culture moved very differently. Our society has progressed in a number of very positive ways, which is good. At that time, domestic abuse was very often not taken seriously.  It wasn't even until RBG won the Oklahoma alcohol drinking age case in 1976 that women were even officially viewed as an actual person in the court of law, and even that was via a work around. At the same time, East Coast/West Coast culture with pervasive gang violence was at its peak.  All of this led to a downplaying of what was considered mild criminal activity at the time. You need only understand that the national media was on all of this like white on rice and still made no actual impact in meaningful changes at any major school, NU included. TO didn't "hang" for anything because the judge and juries of the time didn't consider him to be mishandling things in any sort of gregarious manner.

Really Big Gawbones ?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court justice and feminist icon, is dead at 87  - Vox