Mickey Joseph Arrested For Assault

Hagg

8 minutes ago, M.A. said:

What a turn of events...I'm still processing this. We'll learn more about what transpired. Sad. My thoughts are with the Joseph family, especially their children. 

‘Yes.  The kids.  And it ripples out to all they are close to.  We think we feel badly seeing this, we feel nothing like the family feels and is about to go through.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Enhance lays it out well in his post.. I think the University and Athletic Department probably has language in their contracts that even being arrested for domestic violence is grounds for termination with cause. 

Simply getting arrested doesn't equate to guilt. If you fired somone that got arrested and then later proven innocent you'd likely get sued for wrongful termination. Which is why I think Mickey is suspended right now and not fired.

I'm not going to go into depth on this but I'd have domestic violence charges on me if it wasn't for one specific audio recording I have. I can't tell you how glad I am to have that recording.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

56 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Background checks won't prevent every incident or bad hire, and 1 incident 20 years ago shouldn't prevent people from getting hired, even if every so often the outcome is bad. Most people who do a bad thing when they're 20 and do no bad things the next 20 years end up being okay.

I get that background checks do not catch everything, but when I have done background checks on my hires, the types of thing that Joseph did in college would have shown up.  If that was known by the athletic department, there is no reason he should have been put in such a visible role as interim HC,  just as many companies would not allow someone with a similar background obtain a senior position in that company.   When you get to these types of visible positions, the focus needs to be on brand and reputation management and ensuring the right person is in place to lead all aspects of a program, especially young men who are still being molded.

And with Frost, there had to be questions of his behavior of missing recruiting trips and likely coming to practice where others knew he had been drinking too much.  

With that said, it appears Rhule is pretty squeaky clean which is a great thing for the program at this time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

One bad decision is all it takes to land someone in jail.

I think mentions of something he may or may not have done back in the 90s has no bearing here.  Interesting how in all the threads about Coach Joseph, I don’t recall seeing any negative mentions of him in regards to anything that happened in the 90s.  Let’s not kick a man while he’s down.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, secretasianman said:

One bad decision is all it takes to land someone in jail.

I think mentions of something he may or may not have done back in the 90s has no bearing here.  Interesting how in all the threads about Coach Joseph, I don’t recall seeing any negative mentions of him in regards to anything that happened in the 90s.  Let’s not kick a man while he’s down.  

I agree with you except for the last part. He can get some kicks

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Simply getting arrested doesn't equate to guilt. If you fired somone that got arrested and then later proven innocent you'd likely get sued for wrongful termination. Which is why I think Mickey is suspended right now and not fired.

Depends on the language in Mickey's contract, which is likely the primary reason he is on leave. Lawyers are probably skimming the details to ensure they feel safe to release him. Just my hunch.

A lot of coaching contracts have language in them that allow the universities to fire with cause in these kinds of situations. Doesn't matter if the person is found guilty or not. It sullies the university's reputation.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Depends on the langue in Mickey's contract, which is likely the primary reason he is on leave. Lawyers are probably skimming the details to ensure they feel safe to release him. Just my hunch.

A lot of coaching contracts have language in them that allow the universities to fire with cause in these kinds of situations. Doesn't matter if the person is found guilty or not. It sullies the university's reputation.

No they don’t.  You are absolutely pulling stuff out of that place.  

You need cause or you’re 100% setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

This is a bad take to look at it, but im sorry if this is part our fault as fans.  Putting so much pressure on people and some people may not be able to and then they snap.  It happens all the time, this job this team is alot of pressure and now this happened.  Maybe he had hoped that he could really get that job and he didnt and he took it hard, thats how life is but i guess.  I dont know, im just completely blown away.  My wife thought i was yelling that someone died.  This is just unbelievable 

• Thanks 4
32 minutes ago, 1HuskerDad said:

The university has a series of background checks for employees. If there was anything glaring it would have showed up along with personal references

He would have been around with the girl friend thing. Sounds like the great Tom O washed it, but Trev would have known.