Where do we go from here.

There have been many sentiments on here about the family and prayers and im for all of that.  But i wanted to start something about where do we go from here as the program and university.  What damage control do you think will be needed for recruiting in keeping kids here and the ones that were already spoken to.  How will the university move forward,  we had quite a few images and promotional videos made with mickey, will all of those be removed.  How does Matt Rhule move beyond this, does he try to go and get his own ace recruiter, does the check book open up further.  Just wanted your folks thoughts on this.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

There have been many sentiments on here about the family and prayers and im for all of that.  But i wanted to start something about where do we go from here as the program and university.  What damage control do you think will be needed for recruiting in keeping kids here and the ones that were already spoken to.  How will the university move forward,  we had quite a few images and promotional videos made with mickey, will all of those be removed.  How does Matt Rhule move beyond this, does he try to go and get his own ace recruiter, does the check book open up further.  Just wanted your folks thoughts on this.

Perfectly fair questions. The timing could not be better. I wish I had some decent answers. Husker Nation has been through a lot and now we get today’s news.  Thanks for your post.

To me, this really has nothing to do with Matt Rhule. He is at a clean break and he hadn’t even officially offered MJ a gig, in fact may not have. It is a horrible look for the university, but like we didn’t already look bad. I feel horrible for the family, but as far as Rhule is concerned, it is now full speed ahead without worrying about dividing the fan base if he didn’t keep MJ

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I think this does a hand full of things both good and bad.  I think it sadly unifies the fan base, those who were for mickey are more than likely at a cross roads with what happened (even if hes guilty or not).  I think with the university it unfortunately means ties need to be cut, no matter what this is not a good look, and like someone else said on another thread, bad pr guilty or not is still bad pr.  This is a bad look no matter how you slice it.  It think it puts extra stress on Matt Rhule and his new staff,  They will now need to start from scratch fixing all the bad pr this now caused and try to salvage not only the relationships with the new recruits but also the players that want to stay here.  And last but not the most important,  i think this kills next season.  With mickey out and the bad pr we will lose recruits and we will lose players already here.  Matt and staff wont be able to recover in enough time and next season is worse than this one.  Just my thoughts.

The future is still very bright for Nebraska.  We have a very good new coach with a proven history of turning around other college programs.   I would not place too much emphasis on the Joseph story despite it being difficult to absorb in the moment.  This is NOTHING like what happened at Penn State with the Sandusky scandal where there was a history of university leadership covering up serious wrongdoings, and despite that horrific situation at PSU, they bounced back relatively quickly from a football perspective. 

• Thanks 1

Fresh start for Rhule across the board. I think current players as well as future players- recruits or transfers- will be able to see that this is a sad private family issue and not a school or Rhule issue. Trev acted quickly to suspend MJ and there is no cover up. Rhule’s staff will need to act quickly to build relationships to retain the current recruits. 

43 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I think this does a hand full of things both good and bad.  I think it sadly unifies the fan base, those who were for mickey are more than likely at a cross roads with what happened (even if hes guilty or not).  I think with the university it unfortunately means ties need to be cut, no matter what this is not a good look, and like someone else said on another thread, bad pr guilty or not is still bad pr.  This is a bad look no matter how you slice it.  It think it puts extra stress on Matt Rhule and his new staff,  They will now need to start from scratch fixing all the bad pr this now caused and try to salvage not only the relationships with the new recruits but also the players that want to stay here.  And last but not the most important,  i think this kills next season.  With mickey out and the bad pr we will lose recruits and we will lose players already here.  Matt and staff wont be able to recover in enough time and next season is worse than this one.  Just my thoughts.

As much as you may be right, don’t forget that Matt Rhule walked into a MUCH, MUCH worse scenario and conditions at Baylor. That scandal is 10x this and it was within the program, this isn’t. MJ May have still been employed at the University, but not officially as a football coach. Baylor had 45 scholarship players and 1 commitment. Yes, he struggled Year 1, but we are light years ahead of that storm

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1