Where do we go from here.

16 minutes ago, HANC said:

As much as you may be right, don’t forget that Matt Rhule walked into a MUCH, MUCH worse scenario and conditions at Baylor. That scandal is 10x this and it was within the program, this isn’t. MJ May have still been employed at the University, but not officially as a football coach. Baylor had 45 scholarship players and 1 commitment. Yes, he struggled Year 1, but we are light years ahead of that storm

I was going to post something like this. That was a rotten situation from the very top down to the players and all those in between. This is one man making a very dumb decision that will cost him dearly.

• Plus1 1

This won’t be an issue for Rhule. He will be able to make a clean break from Mickey (which he probably wanted to do in the first place) and he can move on with his staff. Yes, there might be some lost recruits and transfers, but I don’t think it would be anything that would affect the long-term trajectory of the program. I am sure it’s disappointing for the players who played under Mickey, but that’s where Rhule can say “hey, I will be here for you guys if you ever want to come chat with me”.

Maybe this will enable fans to stop giving these coaches a god-like status, and see them as human beings who make mistakes. I will never understand how Mickey was so revered in the first place during his time at NU. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

As for retaining players, I would guess Rhule and his new crew will look at film and meet with players, scholarships mainly, to the extent each player wants to meet.

Rhule already said basically - he wants football player-students on his team who really WANT to be on the team, committed to the team goals and becoming the best teammates possible by working hard and doing 100% to get there the right way.  Most HCs say these things and most believe them.  Rhule seems ultra serious in this way - it’s not just lip service, imo.

Rhule wants Husker hearts and souls.  He will train and teach and educate them but the ‘want to’ is up to each individual.  Take it or leave.  No coddling. No special treatment. No exceptions.  Just be all N or out. 

Rhule will try to practice what he preaches and will be a true grinder.  He wants players of the same ‘stuff’ - tough grinders.  His staff will be driven hard and have to earn their pay I’m sure.  

We begin by not denying anything. Acknowledgement that something bad has likely happened. There's a focus on relationships and what truly makes them meaningful. Make a commitment to athletes having a rewarding experience here. Demonstrating it again and again day after day. The wins will come with a desire to do what's necessary to experience success. Trust the process. 

5 hours ago, HANC said:

It is a horrible look for the university, but like we didn’t already look bad. 

I don't think it's a horrible look for the university at all. If anything, I'd say public perception wise it's closer to a net positive - this has come as a massive shock to everyone inside and outside of Nebraska and nobody representing the program has offered up defense for him while Trev decisively put him on leave. 

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am sure it’s disappointing for the players who played under Mickey, but that’s where Rhule can say “hey, I will be here for you guys if you ever want to come chat with me”.

Maybe this will enable fans to stop giving these coaches a god-like status, and see them as human beings who make mistakes. I will never understand how Mickey was so revered in the first place during his time at NU. 

This.  Same with all of them.  They are human beings, and have the same hang ups, vices, and blemishes as the normal Joe.  They just happen to make tons more money and have a platform that elevates them in society.

• Plus1 2

If anything, this gives us a more clear path moving forward. I presume since no announcement about Mickey had been made, Rhule was waiting for Mickey to decide on taking another position. If he didn't move up, he would have been retained.

Now we know he won't be retained and we can move forward. This brings clarity to Nebraska's situation.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If anything, this gives us a more clear path moving forward. I presume since no announcement about Mickey had been made, Rhule was waiting for Mickey to decide on taking another position. If he didn't move up, he would have been retained.

Now we know he won't be retained and we can move forward. This brings clarity to Nebraska's situation.

Yep....we can move forward hiring Peetz.  

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I think this does a hand full of things both good and bad.  I think it sadly unifies the fan base, those who were for mickey are more than likely at a cross roads with what happened (even if hes guilty or not).  I think with the university it unfortunately means ties need to be cut, no matter what this is not a good look, and like someone else said on another thread, bad pr guilty or not is still bad pr.  This is a bad look no matter how you slice it.  It think it puts extra stress on Matt Rhule and his new staff,  They will now need to start from scratch fixing all the bad pr this now caused and try to salvage not only the relationships with the new recruits but also the players that want to stay here.  And last but not the most important,  i think this kills next season.  With mickey out and the bad pr we will lose recruits and we will lose players already here.  Matt and staff wont be able to recover in enough time and next season is worse than this one.  Just my thoughts.

Rhules track record has us set for a 1-2 win season next year anyway. So as long as hey gets 2-3 wins hey hes ahead of schedule.  Sucks for MJ and the kids they may or may not leave but MH will get guys here eventually.