Where do we go from here.

It is a terrible thing but... Strictly from a football program perspective, this will end up being a good thing.  It solves the messy situation of what role or roles we were going to possibly overpay MJ to do and it will completely flip anyone who was thinking MJ should have gotten the permanent HC job.  Rhule gets a clean start with zero baggage and doesn't have to worry about any split player loyalties.  This will also save Nebraska some money as we will be able to let MJ go for cause meaning we owe him nothing.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

For those worrying about where we go from here (which doesn't appear to be a lot, thankfully), while this will be a temporary pain point for NU fans, I think Rhule will secretly see it as a positive for his coaching career at NU.

• Rhule's not going to be forced to wine and dine Mickey and pay a super high contract to someone he has never worked with
  • Rhule can hire a WR coach at a reasonable salary, and pay his other assistants more, as there is more of the pie to split up
  • Rhule will not have the shadow of Mickey or the doubt all of the Mickey lovers around for the next few years; Rhule will be able to run his program without the specter of "could Mickey have done better" by half of the Nebraska fans out there

There was always going to be short-term pain of lost recruits and transfers who were loyal to Mickey, but there were always going to be some bad things coming from a transition.  This makes it easier for Rhule, the program, and the rest of the fan base to move forward.

• Plus1 5
52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

For those worrying about where we go from here (which doesn't appear to be a lot, thankfully), while this will be a temporary pain point for NU fans, I think Rhule will secretly see it as a positive for his coaching career at NU.

• Rhule's not going to be forced to wine and dine Mickey and pay a super high contract to someone he has never worked with
  • Rhule can hire a WR coach at a reasonable salary, and pay his other assistants more, as there is more of the pie to split up
  • Rhule will not have the shadow of Mickey or the doubt all of the Mickey lovers around for the next few years; Rhule will be able to run his program without the specter of "could Mickey have done better" by half of the Nebraska fans out there

There was always going to be short-term pain of lost recruits and transfers who were loyal to Mickey, but there were always going to be some bad things coming from a transition.  This makes it easier for Rhule, the program, and the rest of the fan base to move forward.

It rips the band-aid off.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

10 minutes ago, McBrideMafia said:

We can only go up right? Things couldn't get much worse then they've already been.

Just when a person sighs and begins to breathe a little easier out of nowhere comes another blast. Lol

I do think that we're gradually turning the needle. Now we've just gotta get some motion going and gather some momentum. One day at a time!

I am sure Coach Rhule was like "What just happened?  Why did it happen?  How is the family?  The kids?  How does the team feel right now?

I am also sure Coach Rhule thought about it, felt bad for Nebraska, MJ's family, the Husker football team........and then be like "Team, I am here for you. We can't change the course of what just happened.  But we have to move in a forward direction; Stay focused, go to class, build strong relationships, be your best every day, and your hard work will pay off.  Yesterday is not today.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Keep grinding.  Keep your chin up, your eyes on the prize and love Husker Nation.  I am here for anyone who wants to talk"

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, admo said:

I am sure Coach Rhule was like "What just happened?  Why did it happen?  How is the family?  The kids?  How does the team feel right now?

I am also sure Coach Rhule thought about it, felt bad for Nebraska, MJ's family, the Husker football team........and then be like "Team, I am here for you. We can't change the course of what just happened.  But we have to move in a forward direction; Stay focused, go to class, build strong relationships, be your best every day, and your hard work will pay off.  Yesterday is not today.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Keep grinding.  Keep your chin up, your eyes on the prize and love Husker Nation.  I am here for anyone who wants to talk"

Ahhh....that explains the transfer portal entrants.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, admo said:

I am sure Coach Rhule was like "What just happened?  Why?  Can we move on from this? Let's go"

There needs to be an understanding that the desire to win and the desire to do the things necessary for winning aren't the same things. Most players want to win. But how many want to do the things necessary for winning? That's the requirement. The will. The commitment. Doing away with things to make room for making winning possible. That's the hard reality of it. Some flee while others step up to the challenge. Hang a bell up somewhere. Being a champion isn't for everyone. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can spin a narative for you.  If nebraska hired mickey like they should of then he wouldnt of gone off the deep end.  This matt guy doesnt know what hes doing, but mickey did.  If we wouldnt of ruined him by hiring the wrong guy mickeys life wouldnt of been ruined.  Something like that i assume is how it would go.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Ahhh....that explains the transfer portal entrants.

Yeah... the recent turn of events upset a lot of student athletes.  Can't fault the football players if they want to move along.  

But also, Coach Rhule was hired before all that took place...., to rebuild this mess of a football program. 

And to his credit, he's been there and done that.  Seen it all before.  So, I feel even more glad he was hired for Nebraska.  

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I can spin a narative for you.  If nebraska hired mickey like they should of then he wouldnt of gone off the deep end.  This matt guy doesnt know what hes doing, but mickey did.  If we wouldnt of ruined him by hiring the wrong guy mickeys life wouldnt of been ruined.  Something like that i assume is how it would go.

Hahaha, I was just joking with a friend today that we wouldn’t be surprised if some NU fans actually think the exact thing you posted. Not saying you actually do, but NU fans are so freaking predictable. 

22 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Something like making someone late for appointment but their avoiding a tragic accident on the way. How come you're so upset? You got there safe right without any harmful consequences getting there!   

Or, maybe it's a convenient excuse/baseless explanation... 

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Hahaha, I was just joking with a friend today that we wouldn’t be surprised if some NU fans actually think the exact thing you posted. Not saying you actually do, but NU fans are so freaking predictable. 

I have wondered what would have happened if he did get the job. Would the different series of events make it so this never happens? Or does it still happen and now we're the laughing stock of college football (even more than we already are :lol:).