New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

28 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Maybe it’ll be this guy.

I started to type that he seemed likely a little bit ago.  Makes sense that the reason we haven't announced anything is because the guy is still coaching.

But am I missing it or is there really no connection to Rhule?  Not that he couldn't be the first but that would definitely be a departure from what he's done so far.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I started to type that he seemed likely a little bit ago.  Makes sense that the reason we haven't announced anything is because the guy is still coaching.

But am I missing it or is there really no connection to Rhule?  Not that he couldn't be the first but that would definitely be a departure from what he's done so far.

I’ll preface this by saying I think it’s a rumor that started from a random ON3 poster with no juice. That said, if Rhule was willing to give Leonhard a call, he might be in this case too.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I went through both of them (Rhule and Schumann) on the all knowing internet and didn't see anything where they were together.  Maybe someone mutual?  UGA board saying NU is where coaches go to end their careers.  Hahaha

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I went through both of them (Rhule and Schumann) on the all knowing internet and didn't see anything where they were together.  Maybe someone mutual?  UGA board saying NU is where coaches go to end their careers.  Hahaha

Given Schumann is a co-DC and making $800,000 a year, perhaps the ability to be sole DC and have a pay raise would bring him along.  

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Given Schumann is a co-DC and making $800,000 a year, perhaps the ability to be sole DC and have a pay raise would bring him along.  

Plus, Kirby Smart is a defensive head coach, so Schumann may want to get out from his shadow to try making a name for himself.  Just a guess, I have no clue if Schumann is the guy.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Maybe Rhule targets him after being referred. He’s offered a slug of money with an opportunity to help turn the program around. Meanwhile while he’s here he mentors another coach on staff to succeed him prior to his becoming a head coach. He’s young and will have plenty of opportunities. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus, Kirby Smart is a defensive head coach, so Schumann may want to get out from his shadow to try making a name for himself.  Just a guess, I have no clue if Schumann is the guy.

Rhule has had Phil Snow at most of his stops (Temple, Baylor and Carolina).  If it were Snow, I would assume we would know by now unless they are dealing with contractual issues with Carolina. I am hoping it's Schumann or some other big name.

Here are the top defenses this year. I scanned through a couple of names and Illinois' DC got a pay raise and is now making just over $1M.  Kentucky's DC (Brad White) is making $1.4M.  There is room for Schumann to grow his salary and I am guessing he would cost up to $1.5M to land him.  There are quite a few good DC's to steal from other BIG teams.  Air Force's DC has coached at other P5 schools so he could be an option too.  

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/ncaaf/statistics/team-defense/2022-2023

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Rhule has had Phil Snow at most of his stops (Temple, Baylor and Carolina).  If it were Snow, I would assume we would know by now unless they are dealing with contractual issues with Carolina. I am hoping it's Schumann or some other big name.

Here are the top defenses this year. I scanned through a couple of names and Illinois' DC got a pay raise and is now making just over $1M.  Kentucky's DC (Brad White) is making $1.4M.  There is room for Schumann to grow his salary and I am guessing he would cost up to $1.5M to land him.  There are quite a few good DC's to steal from other BIG teams.  Air Force's DC has coached at other P5 schools so he could be an option too.  

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/ncaaf/statistics/team-defense/2022-2023

My concern with Air Force's DC is that their offense held the ball for over 36 minutes per game this year, so that limits opponents' time with the ball and skews defensive numbers in favor of Air Force.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My concern with Air Force's DC is that their offense held the ball for over 36 minutes per game this year, so that limits opponents' time with the ball and skews defensive numbers in favor of Air Force.

That's a good point.  Not sure if that is the case every year for AF's offense as their defense often ranks in the top 40.  

Also, Iowa State's D has ranked high the past few years. There DC (Jon Heacock) is a bit older but learned under Jim Tressel and has tons of experience.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Maybe it’ll be this guy.

If it is Schumann when do you think we get an announcement? Do we have to wait until they're done with the CFP? Or does it get announced after today's game? Obviously you want him here and recruiting, but he might be worth the wait.

• TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE