New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

2 hours ago, HANC said:

My take…. if you are deciding “if” you want to retire or come back, you can’t give the effort you or the program deserve. Anytime the going gets tough, you will have that thought in the back of your mind that you should have retired and begin looking forward to the end of the year…. Trust me on this !!!

Fair but he said the same thing at Temple then went to Baylor and then went onto have the #2 defense in the NFL last year. IMO, working in the NFL would be easier for him and he is very much in demand there, too. 

4 hours ago, HANC said:

My take…. if you are deciding “if” you want to retire or come back, you can’t give the effort you or the program deserve. Anytime the going gets tough, you will have that thought in the back of your mind that you should have retired and begin looking forward to the end of the year…. Trust me on this !!!

I know he's Rhule's guy and a quality DC but I gotta agree. If he was truly all-in he'd have already been announced. I could take him as DC if we have a hotshot Co-DC Snow can groom then hand the reins to. Would be a great analyst hire and that could fit where he's at in life, wouldn't have to schmooze teenagers year-round or work the long hours but he's still be in football. 

Of the "Rhule tree" guys that have been mentioned- Snow, Robinson, and Collins, I like Collins the best. Already explained Snow. Robinson hasn't been a DC before, may not be good at it, and if he is good he'll be a hot name we lose to a HC job. Collins is a proven DC  and after that crappy stint as GT's HC he won't get any HC offers that pay more than coaching D here. We could be set well at the position for a long time. 

45 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Has it been confirmed yet if Al Holcomb has been retained by Coach Rhule as his new DC.  Coach Rhule briefley worked with Al in his losing stint with the Panthers and he hopes to bring him on at nebraska.  

I haven't heard any indication of that anywhere. Holcomb would make sense as his defenses tend to operate with a great deal of physicality and focus on stopping the run as coach Rhule has stated will be a priority. 

Carolina had a bye week. Seems like we should have heard more. Are we possibly interviewing for some of these last positions and thus no announcement yet?  Or maybe he planned for Snow and has to pivot if Snow or others had change of plans? Once the conference championships are done these things move fast. We’ll see tomorrow I guess.

The new DC must be from the NFL. If it were from the college ranks it likely would've been announced after the games this weekend and if they were currently unemployed my guess is we would have already heard about them. Since other Panther coaches who were currently employed by the Panthers were announced either the DC job is too big for him to just up and leave so they are waiting on the announcement or the coach is from another NFL team that currently has meaningful games left. 

4 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

The new DC must be from the NFL. If it were from the college ranks it likely would've been announced after the games this weekend and if they were currently unemployed my guess is we would have already heard about them. Since other Panther coaches who were currently employed by the Panthers were announced either the DC job is too big for him to just up and leave so they are waiting on the announcement or the coach is from another NFL team that currently has meaningful games left. 

I agree, was thinking a position coach in the NFL.  Hard think it's a DC in the NFL, unless it's Al Holcomb (and he's never really recruited).  Hard to imagine a DC in the NFL leaving for a lateral move to college.   A position coach promoted to DC in college makes sense.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

2023 commit Hayden Moore said that the LB coached won't be announced by this weekend and seemed to indicate that the new DC was still to be determined.  Said Rhule has two or three guys he's considering.

That’s probably pretty accurate. I don’t think Rhule has settled on anyone quite yet.

• TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE