New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Rhule has a clear history of picking young, talented, under the radar hires that grow into good coaches. 

Yeah I think this is the thing. He has already proven he can win in p5 with these coaches. He didnt have to bring in a wow staff to win at Baylor. As far as I can tell he is getting young energetic coaches that are imbedded in key recruiting areas for us. Recruiting is about building long term relationships in the areas you want to pull kids out of. Notice what Rhule did as soon as recruiting opened up. He went on a tour of key Nebraska schools to start building bridges. If he has proven he can win with and develop young coordinators then it makes sense to bring them in and then you have a full staff spread out to get players from where you think you can. I think this is why we made a run at Elijah Robinson and Schumann. Trying to get our foot in either the south east or Texas. 

24 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I know people attribute a lot of LSU's success to him, but in his first OC experience with Carolina they were really terrible. Maybe he's a better fit in college, but I also think he gets more than his share of credit for LSUs insane season. I wouldn't consider him a wow hire as an OC, and yeah seems like that bridge has been burned anyway.

He also had a pretty good QB and set of receivers at LSU

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Rhule has a clear history of picking young, talented, under the radar hires that grow into good coaches. 

Most hires have potential,  but the OC job is my least favorite.  Granted he had to work with Rattler. OL and DC are vital.  

It was mainly a jab at how he hired his buddies, like all coaches do.  But with that money a guy he might not know who is more highly regarded would give more comfort 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm not following this.  If he made comments about regretting hiring guys he didn't know, he is now hiring all guys that he does know.  All the Panthers guys are guys he's worked with for a long time.

I can't remember the exact quote, but one of Rhules comment's about his time in Carolina was he "regretted hiring guys he was unfamiliar with, and hired based on resume and reputation.   Those people didn't mesh with him and his work style".   Most took it as a veiled criticism to Joe Brady

Not a specific question related to DC but what base defense do you think we run. I was trying to find what base Rhule ran at Baylor and Temple but didn't find much. Seems like a lot of our bigger DTs are entering the portal and makes me think we're moving towards a different scheme where he wants the DT to be more pass rush oriented and not just eating up blocks. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

4 hours ago, PattyG said:

Not a specific question related to DC but what base defense do you think we run. I was trying to find what base Rhule ran at Baylor and Temple but didn't find much. Seems like a lot of our bigger DTs are entering the portal and makes me think we're moving towards a different scheme where he wants the DT to be more pass rush oriented and not just eating up blocks. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Watching some of the Baylor film, he really likes to be aggressive with the front four. I suspect we’ll go to a 4/3. 

6 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Sign him up!

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE