New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

I'm rather relieved. Was somewhat expecting to be stuck with Mike Siravo learning to DC on the job despite already having inexperience at LB and DL. White has legit experience and seems like a legit up-and-comer. Interested to see if he sticks with the 3-3-5 or goes with the 4-3 Rhule has said we'd run. 

15 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'm rather relieved. Was somewhat expecting to be stuck with Mike Siravo learning to DC on the job despite already having inexperience at LB and DL. White has legit experience and seems like a legit up-and-comer. Interested to see if he sticks with the 3-3-5 or goes with the 4-3 Rhule has said we'd run. 

I bet we see some sort of a mixed bag. 3 down linemen with random lbs walked up a lot of the time. Hopefully it’s not so complicated that our defenders can just go out, get lined up and play fast. But complex enough the QB struggles to identify where the pressure is coming from

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

So far I like this hire and the RB hire the most by Rhule.  I am glad most of the old coaches are gone as the best way to change a culture is to clean out and start anew.  

I'm optimistic. Lots of improvement over what Frost had and how he conducted business. A bunch of different things are going to be done differently to accomplish the mission. Coach Rhule is getting things done! We need to seize every opportunity to bring in good, contributing players now. Recruit and develop. Recruit and develop!

As far as cleaning house, that's the way it's got to be. The program has been needing a reset. You've got to shake the whole thing up. Tony White is a real solid hire. Only a couple remaining slots to fill!

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's what I figured.  But, thought I would ask more knowledgable people.  

So, other than nose tackle, are their other changes?  I'm assuming we would want more guys that are the nickel type of player?

Yeah he has position he calls rover that’s in the safety/LB hybrid role. It’s the role Urlacher excelled at at New Mexico 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's what I figured.  But, thought I would ask more knowledgable people.  

So, other than nose tackle, are their other changes?  I'm assuming we would want more guys that are the nickel type of player?

My guess is we will be more of a normal 4-3/4-2-5.  Typically 3 3 5 you’re trading in size/run stopping for speed to address passing and spread concepts. Something that would work in the ACC and pac 12.. unless we had a suh at DT, I’m having a hard time seeing us leverage this as our base given the majority of the teams we’ll face have some mauling lines and run game. 

That being said, I’m not a D1 coach and I trust what this guy can do. Just conceptually, most scenarios where a 3-3-5 would be ideal doesn’t quite lineup with what we’ll go against most Saturday’s in the big 10.

• TBH 1